Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
my guy is 22 weeks and my first puppy, not my first dog.

he was scared of the leash. scared of the collar. scared of his walks in general. couldn't walk in a straight line.

now he pulls like a freight train. loves his walks now. marks like a bad boy too.

not sure what you pup's particular issue is so here was my journey.

leash: let him drag it around the house and yard to get used to it.

walking along side you: like others have said, lure with really highly prized tidbit... be sure to give it the pup while in motion, moving forward, and try to give the treat right when the pup is right by your side like a heel position.

pulling: like someone else said, stop when the pup is pulling, and then resume with a loose lead is established. another is walk in the opposite direction.

my pup doesn't seem to remember to not pull. I think he thinks he really can pull me. anyway, a trainer told me that they though that dogs pull not out of dominance but b/c we aren't walking fast enough. sometimes.

anyway, I walk pretty briskly, so pup can't pull. but he does respond to a correction, and off leash he stays pretty close, he will stop and wait for me and my other dog to 'catch up' to him.

an excerise a trainer did in puppy clase was have the puppy weave thru pylons on leash, while being lured by food.

good luck.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
galaxie
Roscoe and Stella's Mom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe check out some youtube videos about walking on a loose lead, too. You can use a food lure to get your dog to follow you. Hold the lead in your right hand, across your body and have the dog on your left. Hold a treat in your left hand right above puppy's nose and say "let's go" and walk a few steps. As long as she follows you and doesn't start pulling or jumping up for the treat, stop and reward her. Keep doing this, but slowly extend the length of the walk
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
DorothyS

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your puppy pulling or dragging behind? In our household, Rascal is the puller (we're still working on this and he's just over a year old), and Pixie is the dragger. When she was really little, we called her the Swiffer, because you could drag her around like a mop and she just would not use her legs. It was quite funny. Puppy classes helped us deal with this. She is much better now, but can still act like a stubborn mule if she feels like it! It's amazing how much drag a little 14-lb. dog can have.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
Nata
Anna-Mari

My puppy class teacher advised to get a 5 meter leash for training... and of course we have used it in all our walks, ehh. Now my 6 months old puppy will walk quite nicely on that leash, but oh my if I take the short 1,5 meter leash! She pulls and can't walk nicely, so there is some training to do. Also we live on countryside and she gets really excited when we go walk on town, she pulls and wants to go everywhere and sniff every bush and corner. LOL So that is another task for us.
Nata is offline   Reply With Quote
Walking without leash
Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Sirius

Walking without leash

Our puppy Sirius is about 16 weeks old. I just started walking him without a leash around our cul-de-sac (I would not recommend it on busy streets!). He started following me naturally. Occasionally he would wander but as soon as he finds out I am walking away, he will come running to me. After 2 weeks of that, I got a body harness and attached a leash. If he starts pulling or stops, I would drop the leash and start walking again. Sometimes he picks up the leash in his mouth and comes running back to me. This doesn't work in the backyard as the puppies are more confident and will stay behind.

One other thing, I can think of is "Gentle Leader" harness.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Our puppy Sirius is about 16 weeks old. I just started walking him without a leash around our cul-de-sac (I would not recommend it on busy streets!). He started following me naturally. Occasionally he would wander but as soon as he finds out I am walking away, he will come running to me. After 2 weeks of that, I got a body harness and attached a leash. If he starts pulling or stops, I would drop the leash and start walking again. Sometimes he picks up the leash in his mouth and comes running back to me. This doesn't work in the backyard as the puppies are more confident and will stay behind.

One other thing, I can think of is "Gentle Leader" harness.
You're on to something there. First start indoors off leash . There are many methods. But one rule of thumb ,is that if you alow them to pull, you are reinforcing it. Collars are not that important. Gentle leaders help somewhat , but if you really want to teach good loose leash walking try something like this ... http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/pulling-leash
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 AM   #17
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the article. I had forgotten that this was the technique I used for my big dogs, it's been so long. Neither of them pulled that much, not like my hav pup, geez! I will try it tomorrow in the morning walk.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
SnickersDad

Hi everyone -
Well I'm late to this party, but have a comment and a question or two too...
Snickers (now 17 weeks old) LOVES to walk we go out twice a day and are usually gone for at least 30 minutes and more often than not closer to 45 minutes. Our walking isn't something that most dog owners would call graceful, as Snicks will stop and smell the bushes, will often decide that one of the neighbors yards is the perfect place to make a poo deposit, (rarely pees), and I find myself pulling her to get her to "move on".

So, I'm wondering -- I don't particularly care whether she walks at my heel, 5 feet ahead of me or 5 feet behind me, as long as she's walking and enjoying the time out and the exercise. Why is loose leash walking considered to be "The right way" for the puppy to walk?

I don't like her pulling so much and do employ the stop and wait for the leash to become loose before continuing on, and have tried reversing directions a time or two - but she does indeed still pull, specially when she's on the last block before home.

Cheers!
SnickersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
1plus2havs

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
[quote=SnickersDad;338638]Hi everyone -

So, I'm wondering -- I don't particularly care whether she walks at my heel, 5 feet ahead of me or 5 feet behind me, as long as she's walking and enjoying the time out and the exercise. Why is loose leash walking considered to be "The right way" for the puppy to walk?

I don't like her pulling so much and do employ the stop and wait for the leash to become loose before continuing on, and have tried reversing directions a time or two - but she does indeed still pull, specially when she's on the last block before home.

Liam's trainer said that the leash is the extension of my hands, it is for my dog's safety as well as mine to learn loose leash walking. If you stop walking your puppy should too, it only means that you are both paying attention to each other. This will help you not to be dragged down the streets by your dog and will make the walk relaxing and enjoyable for both of you. Liam still pulls every now and then especially when we are almost home but we are doing better. I'm thinking of using a clicker because someone suggested that to me too, I hope I won't confuse my little guy with it thou. Someone might have a better response but goodluck...
1plus2havs is offline   Reply With Quote