Save your little one...whistle! - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Flynn Gentry-Taylor
Flynn of Sir Winston fame

Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
Yeah Flynn , you can teach both the whistle and a verbal cue . I use the verbal for most recalls and save the whistle for more important or possibly dangerous recalls. Practice both. Rule no. 1 , always make coming fun or rewarding never to reprimand. And don't forget the collar grab.
Going to give it a try!!! Thanks Dave!

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
Yeah Flynn , you can teach both the whistle and a verbal cue . I use the verbal for most recalls and save the whistle for more important or possibly dangerous recalls. Practice both. Rule no. 1 , always make coming fun or rewarding never to reprimand. And don't forget the collar grab.
What's the collar grab?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
Flynn Gentry-Taylor

I am going to start a new thread on training treats...I am going to have to put a collar on mine for the training too..wonder if I should leave the collar on, or put it on for training. I.E., will the dog associate putting the collar on with the training? The only time mine wear the collar now is when they go for a walk. Don't know if there is a soft collar, small that won't mat the coat so much? I want the dog to come to me without the collar too...too many questions, sorry!!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn Gentry-Taylor View Post
I am going to start a new thread on training treats...I am going to have to put a collar on mine for the training too..wonder if I should leave the collar on, or put it on for training. I.E., will the dog associate putting the collar on with the training? The only time mine wear the collar now is when they go for a walk. Don't know if there is a soft collar, small that won't mat the coat so much? I want the dog to come to me without the collar too...too many questions, sorry!!
If you don't usually have a collar on your dog, you have to find something different from a "collar grab". The point is for your dog to KNOW you are restraining them, then letting them go. With Kodi, since he doesn't ever wear a collar on the property, I grab the hair at the back of his neck, just enough so that he knows I'm holding him, before patting him and releasing him again.

The other problem with coated dogs is that even if you DO have a collar on them, it's not always easy to grab. The coat, itself, is often easier.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
Flynn Gentry-Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
If you don't usually have a collar on your dog, you have to find something different from a "collar grab". The point is for your dog to KNOW you are restraining them, then letting them go. With Kodi, since he doesn't ever wear a collar on the property, I grab the hair at the back of his neck, just enough so that he knows I'm holding him, before patting him and releasing him again.

The other problem with coated dogs is that even if you DO have a collar on them, it's not always easy to grab. The coat, itself, is often easier.
Thanks, that makes sense...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
Sivi

Submit Photo: 9
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
This lnk has only week one and two. Could you please send the link for the rest of the sessions.
Sivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
clare
Gigi

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
Dizzie and Nellie,both know when a walk has come to the end,the routine is they jump up on to a bench[if there is one so, I don't have to bend down!]and I pop on the leashes, then they get a treat,and home we go!!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivi View Post
This lnk has only week one and two. Could you please send the link for the rest of the sessions.
Not sure why it doesn't have weeks three and four , but here's week three http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/rec...aining-stage-3
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Havafriend

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not adept at threads, etc. and so I cannot figure how to reach the next part of the article on recall training--I want to read the training methods for weeks 3 and 4. Do I get to do that by registering on Dogster?
Havafriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havafriend View Post
I am not adept at threads, etc. and so I cannot figure how to reach the next part of the article on recall training--I want to read the training methods for weeks 3 and 4. Do I get to do that by registering on Dogster?
Welcome, yeah this site is frustrating , it moves articles around . Try this http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/rec...aining-stage-3
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote