Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
You're kidding, a tick????
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
You're kidding, a tick????

So...we've done the first round of the Lyme shots AND two rounds of Frontline, but I should have known from the way Lucky likes to collapse among green things outside, that a tick was inevitable. Under Lucky's arm, nestled among his white fur (should probably double check his black fur), there it was-a live wiggly definitely attached tick which I removed with tweasers and put in a jar (guess no one checks ticks for disease anyways but I did). The vet said no worries just keep up with the shots and the frontline gel but hey. Doesn't the gel discourage ticks?? (actually some one on this site already warned that it doesn't) but does it make the ticks less dangerous for the dogs? Is Lucky protected from lyme disease anyways by the lime vaccine?? We're in New Hampshire where deer abound (and this was a tiny deer tick) and I'm wondering if there's more I can do short of keeping the puppy inside which seeing how much he enjoys even the breeze or the sound of a bird...I cannot do. Thanks in advance for wisdom etc.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
No, Frontline does NOT repel ticks, though it should kill the tick within 24 hours. That is why I switched to Advantix, which does, also repel them to some extent. Still, you'll have to get used to the fact that if you have a dog, you are going to find ticks on them.

Lyme vaccine is not 100% effective (or even close) and because of the bad reaction profile, my vet doesn't even recommend using it. And Lyme is only one of a NUMBER of tick-borne diseases in our area. There are no vaccines at all for any of the others.

The best way to prevent infection is to do exactly what we do with people. Use a repellant, which will help some, but won't solve the problem, and then check the dog over CAREFULLY at least daily, preferably twice a day. If you are getting ticks off within 12 hours, you are pretty safe. Some sources actually say you have 24 hours, but this estimate is being revised downward.

And, no, I don't think it's fair to keep a dog OR a human inside to avoid ticks or other potential outdoor dangers. You just need to take proper precautions. Remember, also, that Lyme and other tick borne diseases CAN be successfully treated with antibiotics. IT's a matter of being alert, and aware of the possible symptoms so that the dog (or person) gets treatment ASAP. It's when these diseases are left UNTREATED for long periods that they can cause lasting damage.

The fact is that 60% of dogs in N.E. seroconvert to positive for Lyme by their 3rd birthday (knock on wood, Kodi is part of the 40% who haven't) and most of them live long happy lives anyway. Lyme is not a new problem. It is just that we are much more aware of it now!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Alcibides

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Krandall. Great and sound info and advice. We humans deal with ticks all summer (we always have the antibiotic on hand) so why not our little furry sit in the garden dog. We'll be vigilent. More importantly we had too poops and a pee outside today and we are giddy with appreciation.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
The Frontline hopefully kills the ticks (or you remove them) before they have been feeding long enough to transfer the infection (I believe the thought is the tick needs to feed for 48 hours before it transfers the bacteria) As a precaution, be sure to treat the area of the bite first with hydrogen peroxide and then a little neosporin or other antibiotic gel just in case.

Here is an interesting article . I have started carrying ledum around for myself.

http://www.thepenzancehorse.com/2007...lyme&ledum.htm
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
If you want to repel the ticks, you can use a Preventic collar along with the frontline. I have a major tick problem and the collar keeps most of the ticks off the dogs.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Jplatthy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have never found a tick on my dogs...but I have found them on me 3x...two times when I got up to use the bathroom during the night..one was in my pajama pants...then once I found one crawling on my hip....the other one after I took a shower I saw this dark spot on my chest and thought when did I get a mole there....yuck..realized it was a tick...as far as I know none of us have got bitten......the latest one I found was a "lonestar" tick or at least that's what it said online..it had a lil white dot on its back.....my dogs stay in the yard only but I have found when the maint guy mows he sometimes gets into the weedline and I think he must stir them up because that is when I find them everytime. They are on frontline and I have started checking them when they come in after potty breaks since I really thing they brought they ticks in and transferred to me........
Jplatthy is offline   Reply With Quote