Fear of heights??? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Fear of heights???
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
jabojenny
Jen, Timmy and Mae

Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Fear of heights???

I have seen and heard some of you talking about your havs being able to jump on the couch, bed etc... when and how did that happen? When we first got Timmy, my breeder told me to be very careful of him jumping off the couch or chair since he might hurt his legs. We were very obedient and made sure when he was on the couch we always picked him up and put him on the floor. Now he's almost 6 months old and perhaps over 10 pounds and he won't jump off the couch, he won't jump up on the couch either. If he wants to come up he comes to the couch, whines and then turns around for me to pick him up and put him on. I'm not sure if I want to teach him to be able get on and off the couch since its kind of like putting him in an expen, I know he won't pee/poo or get into anything if he's up there. If I leave him on the couch and go into the other room he just whines to be put down. DD says we should put a box or something by the couch so it's not such a far way down and he'll eventually get it. So should I take the leap and teach him to jump down or keep my dandy safe haven?

jabojenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Chances are he'll eventually do it and will start jumping down before he jumps up. Brody didn't figure out jumping onto the couch until he was 8 months. At the time i started a thread to gauge when others dogs did it at. The responses made me feel better.

Also, while he's perfectly capable of jumping up onto the bed (and has done it), Brody still doesn't. I have a step stool by the bed he uses.

Here's that thread:

http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=15283

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabojenny View Post
I have seen and heard some of you talking about your havs being able to jump on the couch, bed etc... when and how did that happen? When we first got Timmy, my breeder told me to be very careful of him jumping off the couch or chair since he might hurt his legs. We were very obedient and made sure when he was on the couch we always picked him up and put him on the floor. Now he's almost 6 months old and perhaps over 10 pounds and he won't jump off the couch, he won't jump up on the couch either. If he wants to come up he comes to the couch, whines and then turns around for me to pick him up and put him on. I'm not sure if I want to teach him to be able get on and off the couch since its kind of like putting him in an expen, I know he won't pee/poo or get into anything if he's up there. If I leave him on the couch and go into the other room he just whines to be put down. DD says we should put a box or something by the couch so it's not such a far way down and he'll eventually get it. So should I take the leap and teach him to jump down or keep my dandy safe haven?
I agree that he will probably eventually start jumping off on his own. But I would NOT be encouraging a 6 month old puppy to jump off. Count yourself lucky that you aren't one of us who had to watch every second to keep our puppies from jumping from heights that would hurt them. Rule of thumb is that dogs should not be ENCOURAGED to jump anything higher than elbow height before their first birthday. Now, most of them do on their own, and it's hard to stop them, but you sure don't want to encourage it! Let those joints develop properly first!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
ShirleyH

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keeper is 2-1/2 years old and did not like heights at all from day 1. He did not want to be on the bed--feet on the floor was the motto. Now he will climb up on the back of the sofa top to keep his eye on proceedings, but he has to be placed on the sofa--no jumping up. He will jump down if the incentive is good enough. I can't imagine him jumping up on the sofa--but maybe someday!

Keeper's Mom
ShirleyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
mamacjt

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine jumps up and down off of things like a gazelle and has for months and he just turned 1 last Sunday. I cringe every time he jumps off the bed, but even if I put him down, he's jumping up the next minute and off again, himself. (I'm already starting to save for eventual ACL surgery. lol)
mamacjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I agree, thank your lucky stars that he isn't a jumper YET, it's best for his bones!!! He is still a puppy at 6 months old and isn't done developing yet!!
Tillie was one of those that jumped out of her x-pen at 4 months old and was able to jump up and off the couch from the begining almost. BUT she wasn't 'allowed' on the beds. at.ALL. (per my husbands demands.) and really I am thankful because now that she is older he does let her on the beds during the day and she will only go up with an 'invitation' (unless she has the zoomies!!). Glad we waited to let her, our bed is very high.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie is perfectly capable of jumping up on the bed, but wants me to pick her up. I keep a footstool there for her, but she still asks to be put on the bed. Strange
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I answered this earlier from work and got distracted and missed out half of what I meant to say! I did want to add to be thankful he's not interested in jumping yet. The longer they don't the better.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Rosie is perfectly capable of jumping up on the bed, but wants me to pick her up. I keep a footstool there for her, but she still asks to be put on the bed. Strange
Kodi does this too. I've seen him jump up on the bed if he's wilding around, and he has NO problem getting up there. But if I'm in bed in the morning and he wants to come up, he comes up beside me and does these little hops while whining at me, like he's a little puppy who couldn't POSSIBLY make it up onto the bed.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote