Transition to Wellness Simple Solutions - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Alternative and Home Cooked Diets

Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
curly_DC
Michele and Sergio

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Cindy. Princess is adorable.
curly_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
curly_DC
Michele and Sergio

So last evening I fed Sergio about 3 ounces of the canned Wellness Salmon and Rice for dinner, instead of his usual Pro Plan kibble. No loose stools. He gobbled it up.

This morning, I gave him about 3 ounces of the canned again for breakfast instead of his Pro Plan.

I will most likely just feed him the canned based on recommendations here that is much better for him, and use the Wellness Salmon and Rice kibble for treats.

I have a few questions though about feeding him canned. He seems to eat it all within about 5 minutes or so, instead of "grazing" like he usually does on the kibble. Is that too quickly for him to eat it? He gobbles it up and soon as I put down the plate.

Is it more likely the novelty of new food that Sergio is enjoying? How long before he will not be so excited about the Wellness Salmon and Rice? Hopefully another two years!!

If he does eventually lose interest in the Salmon and Rice, is it a bad idea to feed him different flavors of the Wellness Simple Solutions, like maybe try the lamb and rice once or twice a week?

I thought I read somewhere that keeping the protein source (like just giving him Salmon) consistent meant it was less likely the dog will develop food allergies or sensitivities, that it's not a good idea to keep changing the food around.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
if he gobbles it down in 5 minutes, I think you're good!! LOL
Tillie's food is GONE in less than a minute!!
I think if the food is truly agreeing with Sergio and he really does like it and look forward to meal time, he will probably always eat with gusto!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
curly_DC
Michele and Sergio

Thanks, Tammy.

That's what's great so far about NOT serving kibble. I know that Sergio has had breakfast before I leave for work, instead of wondering when he eats his kibble.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Good choice. Five minutes is fine. Sabine recommends switching every couple of months between two or three. different protein sources. Stick with the common ones chicken beef fish. Save the more exotic types incase he developes an alergy. Check out her site. The dog food project. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
curly_DC
Michele and Sergio

Thanks Dave. I will check out the website.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
rokipiki

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Holy Cow! 5 walks a DAY!? dang... DON'T tell Tillie... shhhhhhh....
Hi,Tillie! Roki is speaking! I go to four walks a day and two of them are one hour! I will teach you how to fool Tammy into walking you longer than she plans to! I do that with Marina and I assure you my skills are nearly perfect!

Lots of noselicks

Roki
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
bwhahahahaa... awww you are teasing me Roki!!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
nancyf

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Our DaniGirl has been on Wellness canned Simple, Salmon, for a couple of years and has done very well. She is 11 lbs. and gets 2/3 cup a day--it's very concentrated. I give her 1/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the afternoon.
nancyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
curly_DC
Michele and Sergio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
Our DaniGirl has been on Wellness canned Simple, Salmon, for a couple of years and has done very well. She is 11 lbs. and gets 2/3 cup a day--it's very concentrated. I give her 1/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the afternoon.
Thanks. That's what I've been feeding Sergio, that amount.

Yesterday, I fed him just the Wellness Simple Solutions canned, and none of the Pro Plan kibble. I didn't spread out the transition time over a week, because he wasn't having a bad reaction to it, no loose stools or anything.

I also give him a few pieces of the Wellness Simple Solutions Salmon kibble in an orange ball that he enjoys rolling around trying to get the kibble out.