Diarrhea in two dogs - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Sorry Robbie I have to disagree with you. I think we do a disservice to people by quessing as to what is wrong. This could be numerous things and a vet or a nutritionist is the one to determine it.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Dave, It sounds to me like we agree on the fact that it could be many different things and a Vet needs to make the dianosis, it looks like the only area of disagreement is whether a nutritionalist should be consulted make a diagnosis.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
Dave, It sounds to me like we agree on the fact that it could be many different things and a Vet needs to make the dianosis, it looks like the only area of disagreement is whether a nutritionalist should be consulted make a diagnosis.
yeah , that's not my point. My concern is throwing out an idea, with no basis for doing so. To me it's pointless when so many things could be the problem. All that I'm saying is that a professional should be consulted and not to ask people like us that are only able to guess. Diarrhea can be serious and should not be taken lightly. Not the time for unprofessional opinions or guesses.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly don't want to cause a squabble between two people whom I admire opinions from. Over the years I've read opinions and suggestions from all of you, dog food and potty issues have always been discussed. One of my biggest puzzles is that it's with both dogs yet I cannot determine what's causing it. I think my vet is being conservative in not doing lots of procedures yet based on their weight maintaining, and other symptoms (non symptoms). I want your experiences and thoughts on what to try, questions to ask, etc. I value all of you for what you share. Thank you for your help.
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
davetgabby
Dave T

not to worry about us. Follow your vets directions and keep him posted. If you're not happy with his conservative approach, let him know or find another vet.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
The Laughing Magpie

Diann, There is nothing wrong with be curious, Dave and I often disagree about Vet medicines and the need for preventatives, and it's ok. It is just a difference of opinon I am just prehaps more conservative when it comes to traditional Vet medicine. Dave, likes more nutrition based and natural methods, there is room for it all. I still like and value Dave's opinons, we just disagree sometimes.

My point besides answering your questions, is you need to deal with the stool and not be afraid of the Id food when your Vet suggests you use it, it has a purpose and is effective. Sometimes it takes awhile on the food, call your Vet, sometimes when we are worried and we are at the Vet's we forget what they said and sometimes they don't tell us how long.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
The Laughing Magpie

I think Dave and I posted at the same time I am just use more words.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #18
StarrLhasa
Starr

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have been told by one of the Vets at our local pet hospital tha Blue Buffalo tends to be on the rich side, and dogs whose guts are sensitive to a richer diet would do better on a diet with less fat and protein.

My Buster has had a sensitive gut from the day I brought him home from the shelter (and he was loaded with parasites). He was on Flagyl, two kinds of dewormers, antibiotics, miticides, etc.

We fed him the id formula which helped. Before that he got white rice and boiled chicken. His stools eould improve to the point where I thought I could transition him to regular food. Then his stools would get so soft he needed butt baths.

We tried pumpkin, and that would help, but I had the thought that all the courses of antibiotics, etc., had wiped out the beneficial bacteria in his gut. I asked his Vet for canine probiotics, and that helped tremendously. His stools stayed normal on regular dog food (eventually I found that Taste of Wild kibble was good for him, and both dogs are thriving on it) unless he ate something he shouldn't.

The Vet also told me I can give Buster Pepto Bismol to firm up his stools, and I have used that with success.

Starr in NorCal
Mom to Buffy & Buster
Havanese Rescue - won't you join us?

StarrLhasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts. It's been three days with solid, normal poo from both dogs. They have been eating staight id (canned formula). Last night I got more cans from the vet, i also picked up a small bag of dry id. Vet tech said it's the same formula so the dogs shouldn't have any problems. I'm going slow at introducing it anyway. My goal right now is to just not do butt baths for two weeks. Then I'll start worrying about switching to some food that is higher quality.

On another note, Lucy was three ounces less than she was a couple of weeks ago. Should I worry about that? The vet tech said that even with a small dog, that little of weight fluctuation could just be time of day (eaten, pooped, etc). Do you agree. She had dropped from 10.1 lbs. to 9.8 lbs.

Thank you again for listening and your input.
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
StarrLhasa
Starr

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I think your Vet tech is right on. My dogs's weights fluctuate like that, too. If you have a digital scale that is reliable at home, you can weight Lucy at the same time every day to determine if she is losing any weight. then, it might be time to worry. Just kidding.

She is an active dog and may need to eat a little more of the id formula. As far as the kibble is concerned, changing to dry should not be a problem, but they will be drinking a little more water than with the canned.

Please keep us posted.

Starr in NorCal
Mom to Buffy & Buster
Havanese Rescue - won't you join us?

StarrLhasa is offline   Reply With Quote