Views on the 1 yr. Congential health breederss - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Views on the 1 yr. Congential health breederss
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
D.W.

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Views on the 1 yr. Congential health breederss

Hi guys,

Just wanted some opinions on Breeders who are selling dogs that only guarantee a 1yr. Health warranty. Is this new normal for some breeders now? Also, is it the first year when health problems pop-up for Havaneses?
D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
StarrLhasa
Starr

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have noticed all sorts of breeder guarantees in my travels on the Internet. Many congenital health problems will show up in the first year, but breeders do not even test a dog's patellas until they are 2 years old. If there is a congenital knee problem (which many health insurers will not cover , or they only cover the first surgery), it would not be covered by a 1 year health guarantee.

You also need to look at what the guarantee will provide the buyer. will the breeder pay for medical bills, or will the breeder offer to replace the dog with another.

Realistically, how many people will be willing to give back a puppy they have fallen for? The only ones I can think of are people who are buying a show prospect with the idea that they would be breeding the dog later.

Starr in NorCal
Mom to Buffy & Buster
Havanese Rescue - won't you join us?

StarrLhasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
D.W.

Okay, gotta ask. How much are these surgeries, and why would a puppy need more than one for their patella? Do the little puppies knees get that bad?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
StarrLhasa
Starr

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know the cost, but some of the other forum members have had them done. The second surgery is on the other knee as there is often a bi-lateral problem with the do's knees.

It is important to protect the puppies from themselves when they are young. They do not know that jumping from a high place can hurt their knees, backs, or hips. That is one of the reasons that agility training with regulation equipment is not recommended until the dogs have finished growing - at about 18 months.

Agility people - please correct me if I am wrong. i do not want to state incorrect information.

Starr in NorCal
Mom to Buffy & Buster
Havanese Rescue - won't you join us?

StarrLhasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I know the cost of surgeries.....
Bella had a liver shunt. It was discovered when she was 1.5 years old. The breeder gave me 1750.00 back from what I paid for Bella towards her 4000.00 surgery. She also had dental surgery 1000.00.

Fred just had patella surgery. In total it was 4000.00. That is for 1 knee. Seems like 4000.00 is the magic number.....

Be careful when choosing a breeder. Even if you get a name through the HCA ask questions!!! Fred came from a HCA recommended breeder. He was born with bad knees, but I wasn't about to give him back. By the time he actually needed the surgery at 6 plus years old, the breeder wouldn't help at all. Even though she knew his knees were bad when I got him at 13 weeks......buyer beware!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
D.W.

That's alot. Since I'm getting closer to purchasing I am starting to get more critical about the breeders. Seems like a lot of breeders on the net, are not really worried about testing puppies or some parents.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
They would be the ones to stay away from!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
They would be the ones to stay away from!
YUP!
Good for you doing your research and going about getting a puppy the right way!!! You will be SO thankful long term!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrLhasa View Post
I don't know the cost, but some of the other forum members have had them done. The second surgery is on the other knee as there is often a bi-lateral problem with the do's knees.

It is important to protect the puppies from themselves when they are young. They do not know that jumping from a high place can hurt their knees, backs, or hips. That is one of the reasons that agility training with regulation equipment is not recommended until the dogs have finished growing - at about 18 months.

Agility people - please correct me if I am wrong. i do not want to state incorrect information.
Generally, except for the very large breeds, dogs are physically mature around their first birthday. This is when most agility trainers start them. A year is fine for our little guys.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote