Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Hair Cut Decisions
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Gerri
Gerri

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hair Cut Decisions

I've used a thinning shear to trim around Maggie's eyes and bangs. As her hair gets longer she seems more resistant to coming.

My dilemma is when to trim all of her hair and how short....
I like the way her hair blows when she walks but I don't want her to get too long...

Her hair is also getting long and scraggly around her paws...I know what to use on the bottom of her paws but how do I trim the top....

I don't like the rounded look, nor an all over short puppy cut.

Another question is whether longer hair keeps them warmer in the winter.

By the way Maggie is now 7 mos. and I'm working with a trainer hoping she will become a therapy dog... and you can still see where she was shaved when she was spayed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maggie 7 mos.jpg (42.3 KB, 137 views)
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
awwwww, I adore her coloring!!!

I tend to trim the "flags" on Tillie's arms when it starts looking straggly... I cut her down to about 1 1/2 inches on her body and legs in the late Spring and let her grow for the next year, occasionally trimming her legs. If you don't 'like' the rounded foot look, then I'm not quite sure how or why you are thinking to trim her at all right now.

In my opinion, let her grow until she starts blowing coat. then shave her down. lol
It's coming soon....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Gerri
Gerri

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flags?

What are "flags"?

When you say shaving her down is that because of the matting?

Thanks
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
My pup is 10 months old and i haven't cut her yet. i did trim a little around her feet (was getting out of control) and some "hygenic" trimming around her bottom. oh, and there was the unfortunately trim on her face she got uninvited by a groomer when she was just a pup.

If you like her long then leave it for now until she really needs to be cut.

Tuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri View Post
What are "flags"?

When you say shaving her down is that because of the matting?

Thanks
lol, yes, when they blow thier puppy coat, the matting CAN get horrid. At the height of it for Tillie, I was spending 3 HOURS a day working on her. only to turn around and find MORE matts. it really was insane. Imagine gum in their coat and that's pretty much what it's like. AND I had totally kept up with her every.single.day, so it's not like it was a snow ball effect or anything! Some don't have it so bad, but for me, in order to preserve our relationship and our sanity, I HAD to have her shaved down. She looked like a bobble head for awhile, but it was worth it!

Oh and the "flags" I refered to... that's all that hair that hangs down if you raise thier arms up ... lol, yes I call that flags. lol
Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
I have to agree on the HORRID blowing coat stage. Short groom 1/2 inch or so, you will save yourself grief, headaches, tears, gray hairs, and countless hours of trying to keep the terrible mats under control. The "Blowing Coat" can last a few months, it gets worse before it gets better.

As for the thinning scissors....I use on my boys, I love them. I do not have recent pictures, but I will post something. I tend to clip when the hair is days old after the bath. I want to know where the hair will fall when it is naturally dirty.

Jack the first Hav is a little shaggy near the eyes on this photo, he is scissored a little closer and neater compared to this photo. I do like the shaggy messy look. Dexter (Black & White ) is more of the neater trim near the eyes that I like, I love seeing those eyes. I love grooming my boys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0157-1.jpg (422.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0223-1.jpg (284.6 KB, 2 views)

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
lol, yes, when they blow thier puppy coat, the matting CAN get horrid. At the height of it for Tillie, I was spending 3 HOURS a day working on her. only to turn around and find MORE matts. it really was insane. Imagine gum in their coat and that's pretty much what it's like. AND I had totally kept up with her every.single.day, so it's not like it was a snow ball effect or anything! Some don't have it so bad, but for me, in order to preserve our relationship and our sanity, I HAD to have her shaved down. She looked like a bobble head for awhile, but it was worth it!

Oh and the "flags" I refered to... that's all that hair that hangs down if you raise thier arms up ... lol, yes I call that flags. lol
Do flags mat easily? I found some the other day that I ended up trimming rather than trying to brush out...Bama was being rather wiggly...she is okay with me brushing her back and sides but if it involves a position other than down or sit she is not as cooperative.

I had a shirt on her because it was cold so I wonder if that was to blame.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokpup View Post
I had a shirt on her because it was cold so I wonder if that was to blame.
Yes, if she has Havanese type hair, clothes will definitely mat her, unless she's kept trimmed quite short. If she has a Pom type coat, she DEFINITELY doesn;'t need clothes. They were bred down from northern Spitz type dogs, and have a VERY warm under coat. Even if her coat is more Havanese, she will certainly not need clothes at indoor temperatures unless she is shaved down.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Yes, if she has Havanese type hair, clothes will definitely mat her, unless she's kept trimmed quite short. If she has a Pom type coat, she DEFINITELY doesn;'t need clothes. They were bred down from northern Spitz type dogs, and have a VERY warm under coat. Even if her coat is more Havanese, she will certainly not need clothes at indoor temperatures unless she is shaved down.
She has a shorter cut but not shaved right now (although her leg has a recently shaved spot from when she got fixed 3-4 weeks ago).

She wears a harness when she goes out on walks or car trips, and some of her harnesses are more vest/dress style.

The family yorkie has always loved wearing clothes. I could crochet a sweater and then put her in it and finish it while she was wearing it. ;-) but it was colder (near Philly area).

I wasn't sure about Bama and clothes. Although she was dressing up for Halloween. My husband thought she might start needing something to stay warm at night. It gets chilly at night, and we haven't gotten the heaters out yet.

Our place we live in is very old (80-90yr) and we have some wall heater in the main room we don't use, and nothing in the kitchen or bedroom but a portable floor heater (we use one in the living room too). But we will have to figure something else out for her safety.

Also, we know that Poms go through 'puppy uglies' when they transition from pup to adult fur. They can end up with patches with not much hair, and so we have tshirts on standby in case she does that instead of blowing coat.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
TilliesMom

oh, ya most likely the shirts and vest harnesses WILL cause matting... Yorkies have different hair and CAN wear clothes, but havs... unless they are shaved down typically don't need clothes. And YES the legs matt just as much as the rest of them during blowing coat OR if you have clothes on them. I never put clothes on Tillie, she is cute and warm enough without them.

Tags
hair cut