Thought I Was Adopting A Mellow & Dignified Lap Dog - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I definitely wanted a mellow pup and made sure to let the breeder know that. As cute as I think the high energy dogs are, I knew it would be too much for me since I live in a small apartment, there are periods of the year when it's too miserable out for long walks, plus I have asthma issues at times where it is really hard for me to do those things.

Brody is definitely on the mellow end of the scale, but that doesn't mean he didn't wear me out as a pup because he sure did. He's a lovey-boy, but not a lap dog. He only goes for my lap if he is trying to get at food otherwise he'd prefer to be at head level or at my feet. Usually he plays for 10 minutes or so at a time and then decides that is enough and looks at me like I'm a dolt when I throw the toy for him the last time (that he ignores). We have several play sessions throughout the day, and a few short walks outside and I try to let him have the run of the shop (at work) when no one is around just to let him run. He also has a couple of RLH sessions a day.

He's almost 2 and his favourite time is bed time. He's definitely calmed down from when he was a pup although right now he's going through a phase where he thinks bringing me his toy to throw and then pulling it back out of my reach when I go to try and grab it is fun. Now me, I think it's end of play session. Wonder how long it'll take him to get past this! ha ha

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic and Aries View Post
Sonic was really hyperactive until the week he turned 1... Then it was like someone flipped a switch and he just mellowed (I had comments about the energy drop from our trainer, friends and family). Don't get me wrong, he still has his RLH moments, but not nearly as often now. We added our second right around Sonics birthday and, boy, I had thought Sonic had a lot of energy, she puts him to shame. Her birthday is coming up next week, so I'll be curious if I see the same kind of mellowing from her too.
This is exactly what happened with Fred! He turned 1 and I felt like I had a different dog. He got so mellow and is now my biggest cuddlier. He would never cuddled as a pup but now demands it!
Fred was higher energy as a pups but by no means would I call him hyper. Nothing like a jack russel. As a pup his energy was like a 7 on a scale 1-10. Now he is a 2-3. Bella was always mellow and scuds was about a 5 as a pup and now 2-3.
Even my brothers hyper hav has mellowed a bit. And that dog was like a jack russel! His energy drove me crazy. Glad my brother isn't on this forum because he thinks his hav is perfect! Lol perfect for him I guess!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
tonileefiore

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
WoW-thank you everyone for giving me HOPE and for providing a light at the end of the tunnel (even if the light is dim and the tunnel is long at this point in time)

Your stories made me chuckle out loud when reading them and re-reading them! Tuss' story about chewing tissues, tissue boxes, cardboard, wooden spoons...I can really relate to that! And I loved the story about the frazzled husband...can REALLY relate to that, too! Let's add "chewed through cushion on old couch sitting out in the mudroom." Gotta LOVE Ernie 'cause now that yucky ol' couch is FINALLY in the barn where it belongs!

Ernie is a great little guy, he really is! I hold him, cuddle him and say, "There's gotta be an OFF button someplace here...let's take a look 'n see!" He loves that game but it usually ends when he bites my big Roman nose!

Yes, cannot wait for the day when Ernie's switch finally "flips."

To also help Ernie burn energy, I want to mention that I bought him several puzzles and he loves them a lot. All puzzles are some type of "hide 'n seek" game that I load with treats, etc. Eventually, your dog learns how to locate the treats by maneuvering the puzzle, etc. With some games, the "challenge" can be increased...or when Ernie gets too good at one purzzle, I just switch to another. It's great interactive time between Ernie & me. Loads of fun to watch Ernie catch-on-to and eventually "solve" the dog puzzles.

Only other thing that calms him down (for a bit) is a high-quality bully stick! Ernie loves those things. However, I hesitate giving him too many 'cause they are loaded with calories. Usually, I pick the stick up and put it away when Ernies gets bored with it. Sometimes, an extra-thick, 6" stick will kast 3-4 days!

Last edited by tonileefiore; 11-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.
tonileefiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Good stuff. Yeah as much as any breed can have more active members than others, much of what we do can affect the dogs level of activity. I like this article that talks about "crazy canines" http://pawsitivedawgs.wordpress.com/crazy-canines/ click on the blue links there, for more indepth discussion. Love your choice of breeds. Rarely see either of them here.

Last edited by davetgabby; 11-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Both my boys are now logs! Jasper was always pretty mellow but never a cuddler....but now he demands it. Cash, well cash was a crazy coo-coo puppy. one day we found him chewing a an 8 inch stick that was awfully round and polished... Only to discover after much searching that he totally chewed off one of the support dowels under A wicker chair in our sun room. He earned the moniker of "my little beaver." It must have taken him several sessions , one side then the other! We still have the chair...but the boys are the only ones that sit in them Lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Missy
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Kodi was a wild child until well over a year too. I kept him VERY busy with long walks and lots of training classes, but he definitely was tiring. (and I'm older than you too! ) As others have said, after the first year, he started slowly settling down. There was a HUGE difference by the time he was two. He is 3 1/2 now, and still has plenty of energy, but he definitely has an "off switch" now. He's always up for a hike in the woods or a training class, and has plenty of energy when we show. But he also spends most of the day sleeping upside down on the couch in my office while I'm working. He's a great companion!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
tonileefiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
Good stuff. Yeah as much as any breed can have more active members than others, much of what we do can affect the dogs level of activity. I like this article that talks about "crazy canines" http://pawsitivedawgs.wordpress.com/crazy-canines/ click on the blue links there, for more indepth discussion. Love your choice of breeds. Rarely see either of them here.
Thank you for your message and for the great link! I read a good portion of the articles and information. Gave me a new perspective on my other high-energy guy, Rudy...my beloved cardigan corgi.

My avitar photo is a pic of Rudy & Ernie shortly after we adopted Ernie. Rudy is nearly 13 yrs old but stil herds herds herds his red football. His red rubber football is soooo worn down and broken. But after locating an EXACT DUPLICATE, Rudy refuses to play with the new ball...just wants his old one.

Sometimes I feel like Parker Posie in the movie "Best In Show!" Remember that movie???? She had a very neurotic Weimaraner who would only calm down when he had his black & yellow bumble bee toy!!! Parker Posie ran all over town in search of a replacement bumble bee after her husband loses the dog's prized toy. It's pretty funny!

Thanks for the comments on my "breeds." I will always hold a special place in my heart for cardigan corgis and PBGVs...they are wonderful dogs!!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
tonileefiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Kodi was a wild child until well over a year too. He's always up for a hike in the woods or a training class, and has plenty of energy when we show. But he also spends most of the day sleeping upside down on the couch in my office while I'm working. He's a great companion!
I like this a lot...looking forward to the day! Thanks for the wonderful post!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I found it best to learn and manage Henry's energy levels - walks, lots of playtime before bedtime. Love your avatar picture!
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote