Question on limited AKC registration - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
evolcire

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Rmcraig- Here is the legal answer. First u must answer these questions (to yourself): How did u start communication regarding interest in your puppy? If was by email, did u save all correspondence? In that correspondence was limited and full registration discussed and was spay/neuter discussed? Then comes the contract. The written contract supersedes all prior agreements. But do not trash the correspondence just yet. Not all contracts are created equal and clear. For instance, the word pet has one meaning but among experienced breeders, it has another meaning. The normal people meaning of 'pet' is a companion to spend time with and enjoy. To a breeder 'pet' it is a companion to spend time with and enjoy but, cannot be bred as pure and for profit. So keep all correspondence, it may be used to clarify a poorly written contract. Did the contract specify you must spay/neuter your animal? If not, then strong possibility that u have a civil court case in which you can have the court order the seller to amend your dogs status with AKC. Can the AKC status be changed? Yes, with a letter from the legal owner. Not all breeders are clear and up front about the business aspect of your purchase. They do this to expand the list of potential buyers, which in business is unethical. But on the other hand they open themselves to breeders and would be breeders and of course law suits. If you in fact are not a breeder or are knowledgeable about the business, then u are a person and you can prove that the word pet in a contract is meaningless in a business sense. Conversely if you are a breeder and familiar with "dog world" jargon the word pet in a contract can be damaging to your inquiry. Look over poorly written contracts, some of them are poorly written on purpose. Sometimes it is an attempt to sell something under a false understanding. Example: When you look for an item on the internet and you find two that are similar and cost lets say $5000.00. One of the items is 15% more than the other. The pictures of the first item are clear, taken in bright light, and a few angles. The cheaper item pics are taken in poor light and just a tad bit out of focus, just enough out of focus to show the item is clearly as described but the edges are a little warped and it doesnt show in the pics well. The description is the same. So hell, save some bucks and go with the cheaper right? Now ask yourself -Is it really that hard to look at the pics before you post them? Its not like were using photo paper and have to get it developed, scan it, then post it. I had this happen, I didnt make the purchase, but it happened. I asked the person with the poor pics to send more at different angles and better lighting. When I got the pics, 8 new ones, I went straight to the characteristics in properties tab and saw that I had 8 pics from a series of at least 19. I mean DSC3504, DSC3505, DSC3508, DSC3510. The number of the pics tells me he has used the camera quite a bit and should be familiar with it. More pics thrown out than sent tells me they didnt send more than half.

Last edited by evolcire; 11-09-2012 at 02:12 PM.
evolcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
evolcire

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing "too big"---- are you kidding? So when they are too small, they are "teacup" But this person gets say the dog is too big. Tell him/her you intend to sell them as "beer stein" variety.
evolcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolcire View Post
Another thing "too big"---- are you kidding? So when they are too small, they are "teacup" But this person gets say the dog is too big. Tell him/her you intend to sell them as "beer stein" variety.
People DEFINITELY should avoid Havanese purposely bred small, as "tea cups". These dogs are MUCH more likely to have liver shunts and other health problems.

This is an old thread, but the bottom line is, whether someone could weasel a full registration out of a breeder through the court system or not, someone who knows THIS LITTLE about the breed should NOT be producing puppies.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote