How do others handle middle of the night bathroom needs? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie never bothered the pee pad. All other paper was free game. I think it is because they are scented with urine. As to getting up with her in the middle of the night, I just got up and took her outside and right back in--no treat. I wanted her to eventually go outside all the time, so when I knew she had to go, outside it was. But giving a treat might re-inforce the getting up in the middle of the night.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
I am very fortunate. My havs very rarely get up to potty during the night. This has been this way since I brought the home. If they do get up, I knowthey really have to go. They aretrained to use pee pads and that's what I keep nearby.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get up if Oscar wakes me up- he already knows that if he gets up like that, there is no play time... he goes out, he potties and he runs back up to bed before I can even get there!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
Lola :)

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am also experiencing the nightly wake-up calls with Lola, who is 17 weeks old, but they have decreased a lot since she first came home 8 weeks. I agree not to wake her, wait for her to wake you. Lola sleeps in her cozy crate in the family room, which is located near our back porch. I have a baby monitor so when I hear her I get up, let her out to do business, and put her right back in her crate. I never use treats for bathroom breaks because she usually has to go soon after she eats anything. I hope this helps, the sleep deprivation will get better as she gets older! By the way, she is ADORABLE!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
dodrop82

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yogi is 3 and Boo is almost 2. They still wake us in the middle of the night to go outside on occasion. Usually Yogi, but Boo sometimes too. We just get up and go...no big whoop...
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I have been battling my two being out door trained. We have an indoor system that works most of the time. But when one of them wakes me up to go outside I am happy to let them out .At least I know they are somewhat trained.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Laci'sMom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Lola, what kind of food are you feeding..My Laci is so unpredictable about her poo's. She goes the first thing in the morning, then it's just when ever. This is my first Hav. All my other dogs would always go poo almost immediately after eating...so you knew, but Laci is totally different....Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Laci'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
queryne

When Leo first came home he was 8 weeks and i took 2x during the night. Eventually we switched to once a night. We started at 3am and now I wait until 4am. I get at 4:30am Mon-Fri so I'm trying to push him out to that time. When did your guys stop needing to go I'm the middle of the night? Unfortunately my guy won't cry to get taken out.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
queryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
Lola :)

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laci'sMom View Post
Lola, what kind of food are you feeding..My Laci is so unpredictable about her poo's. She goes the first thing in the morning, then it's just when ever. This is my first Hav. All my other dogs would always go poo almost immediately after eating...so you knew, but Laci is totally different....Thanks

Hi Laci's Mom! Right now I'm feeding Lola Science Diet for toy breed puppies. I started her on Blue Buffalo but it seemed to be too rich for her. My vet recommended Science Diet because it has less of a protein count than Blue Buffalo. The vet also said it would be okay to switch back to BB once Lola is 6 months old, which I plan to do. Lola, like your other dogs, also goes poo usually shortly after she eats, as well as once or twice more before the next time she eats. Lola is 4 pounds, 12 ounces and eats 1/4 cup three times a day about every 6 hours. I'm not sure how much little Laci weighs, but maybe it's the amount of food she's eating, or it could be the food. What are you currently feeding her? Lola is my first Hav and the smallest dog I've had before, so her feeding was a but of a struggle at first too (amount and type of food). I hope this helps!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
Laci'sMom

Laci is eating Purina Puppie Chow. She eats 1/3rd cup 2 times a day. During the week around 5 am and 5 pm. Sometimes she doesn't eat all of it. But if she does eat it all, if she acts like she want more I will give it to her. But she only gets fed 2 times a day. But knowing when she's gonna want to poo? Just watching her is the only way...sure wish I could feed her then she go poo within 30 min. But I guess not....thanks for answering..

Laci'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote