chocolate breeder - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
chocolate breeder
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
risabar

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
chocolate breeder

My family fell in love with the chocolate Havanese and we are looking for a reputable breeder. We would greatly appreciate any assistance, advice etc.
thanks!
risabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
where do you live? My breeder has chocolate havanese. I really wanted chocolate, but there were none available when i was ready to have my pup, and i didn't want to wait any longer. The kennel is called Mystykalsky havanese in NB Canada.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
chocolate havanese
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
risabar

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
chocolate havanese

We live in NJ. Is it safe to ship a puppy that far? Also, were you happy working with that breeder?? Anything we should know or specifically ask? Thanks!!
risabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by risabar View Post
We live in NJ. Is it safe to ship a puppy that far? Also, were you happy working with that breeder?? Anything we should know or specifically ask? Thanks!!
please be careful of shipping puppies, it CAN traumatize them. Most ethical breeders will fly with thier pups to deliver them to you, but will not 'ship' them.
Have you looked through the "What to look for in a Breeder" thread that it at the top of our forum? VERY helpful and can help guide you in your search!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Tuss

i doubt she would ship them, especially across the US border. You probably can find a kennel closer to home.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Please ask questions, we will be more than happy to guide you. I would rather you pick up the puppy yourself. My sister flew to Chicago to pick up her Havanese. I agree flying the pup is traumatic. I was not as informed and am guilty of it. When I decide to get another down the road, I will jump on a plane and pick up my pup if need be.

I love the chocolates. I don't know of a breeder, but be careful you don't get too hung up on color. I really feel temperament and a good match is more important. Color is a bonus!

Last edited by lfung5; 11-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.
lfung5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Tuss

Yes, dont get too hung up on color, remember the havanese tend to change color. That chocolate puppy could end up as a light tan or almost white adult!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
please be careful of shipping puppies, it CAN traumatize them. Most ethical breeders will fly with thier pups to deliver them to you, but will not 'ship' them.
Have you looked through the "What to look for in a Breeder" thread that it at the top of our forum? VERY helpful and can help guide you in your search!
Or you can fly to pick them up, which is what I did with Kodi. This can actually be invaluable, as you get to meet the parents, see how the pup was living, and spend some time talking to your breeder about how they have been handling things with the pup. This makes it easier for you to help your puppy make a smooth transition to your home. I would NEVER buy a puppy without visiting the breeder. And I would NEVER have a puppy shipped cargo. Only in cabin, with a person to look after them (preferably me.)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuss View Post
Yes, dont get too hung up on color, remember the havanese tend to change color. That chocolate puppy could end up as a light tan or almost white adult!
Very good point. I have seem dark Havs turn white! My guys didn't change, but a lot do. I think there is a thread on color charge.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Tuss

At the dog show last weekend I was talking to a woman showing her havanese. She had a beautiful girl with a caramel colored long flowing coat. She told me she was chocolate brown as a puppy. The tips of her ears were the only chocolate that remains!