chocolate breeder - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuss View Post
Yes, dont get too hung up on color, remember the havanese tend to change color. That chocolate puppy could end up as a light tan or almost white adult!
YES!! Temperment is THE most important aspect of a puppy...
to show you a quick example of the color change we are taling about, here is my pup at 13 weeks. and again now, at 2 1/2 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-21 011.jpg (1,019.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Tillienoleash.jpg (45.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
You can try Twins Havanese. I don't have any experience with them so I can't vouch for them as a good breeder, but I did a quick search and their website passes my "sniff test". You would have to dig deeper to do a thorough evaluation but unfortunately ethical and responsible chocolate Hav breeders seem to be in the minority. If your heart is set on a color, look at the parents as many chocolates don't hold their color. She has some well known Havs such as Noble gold but that doesn't necessarily mean she's a good breeder.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates atsilvers27 Great Photo:
MayBTheresHope (03-17-2013)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Wow, Tammy, Tillie sure had an amazing color transformation. Being fairly new to the forum, I had never seen her puppy pictures. She's a very pretty and sweet looking girl and you seem to be an amazing Mom to her.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
A friend of mine her in Oregon flew her Havanese who had the chocolate gene to I think Florida and stayed in a hotel while her girl was breeding she ended up with a beautiful chocolate boy! He has been doing really good in the show ring. Any way she lives here in the pacific northwest so if anyone wants more information she has over 15 years breeding our precious Havanese.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Wow, Tammy, Tillie sure had an amazing color transformation. Being fairly new to the forum, I had never seen her puppy pictures. She's a very pretty and sweet looking girl and you seem to be an amazing Mom to her.
awwww, thanks Mary! you're so sweet! I am just doing my best to be the best mom I can to Tillie and occasionaly to my human kids.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
No way is that Tillie? She is cute either way. Hmm makes me wonder if Nina will be white eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
YES!! Temperment is THE most important aspect of a puppy...
to show you a quick example of the color change we are taling about, here is my pup at 13 weeks. and again now, at 2 1/2 years old.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
You can try Twins Havanese. I don't have any experience with them so I can't vouch for them as a good breeder, but I did a quick search and their website passes my "sniff test". You would have to dig deeper to do a thorough evaluation but unfortunately ethical and responsible chocolate Hav breeders seem to be in the minority. If your heart is set on a color, look at the parents as many chocolates don't hold their color. She has some well known Havs such as Noble gold but that doesn't necessarily mean she's a good breeder.
Just make sure you visit.

Last edited by lfung5; 11-13-2012 at 06:11 AM.
lfung5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
segab

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to try Hawkhaven Havanese in New Jersey. I got Beau from Diane last year and while he isn't chocolate, he is great. He is very healthly and his personality was exactly what we expected. Visiting is encouraged as we saw Beau about 4 or 5 times before we brought him home. Diane really matched the dog to the personality we were looking for. Overall a great experience.
segab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna6 View Post
No way is that Tillie? She is cute either way. Hmm makes me wonder if Nina will be white eventually.
lol, yup! that's my girl!! and honestly, I did NOT want a white dog... ha ha jokes on ME! I had read and sort of knew about the color change... but to see it and live it very different from reading about it!
We are a prime example of not only color change but also of picking your puppy (or him/her picking YOU) based on temperment and connection.
Before we went to visit the pups, I was in near constant contact with the breeder. She had 3 pups left and they were 13 weeks old (OLD in puppy weeks!). She still had them because she did NOT want them to go to breeder homes and was waiting for the right families for them. Based on the coloring and discrpitions of thier personalities, Tillie was our 3rd (LAST) choice... not only did she have the light face that I did NOT want (because of tear staining issues), she was described by the breeder as shy, hesitant and introverted.
BUT when we got there to visit (after the infamous 10 hour drive), the other pups really wanted NOTHING to do with us! It was so interesting... I was intent on one of the other pups, but there was Tillie, snuggled between the kids on the floor, in my daughters arms, next to me on the couch... the others wouldn't come anywhere near us! Honestly, I didn't even PET the others!!
Based on all I had learned throughout my puppy research I asked to spend time individually with each puppy, and STILL the others didn't want anything to do with us! We quickly saw that Tillie was very play driven BUT the breeder may not have seen it as Tillie was the smallest and non-'aggressive' so she would always be the last to eat, the last to get to the toy and wouldn't try to take anything from her brothers and sisters. When we got alone time with her, her personality really shined! She chased toys and brought them to us, let the breeder turn her on her back where she 'melted', had basic obedience of sit and lay down already and was very attentive to both the breeder who she obviously loved and the kids.

It was VERY obvious that this little pup wanted to come home with us. SHE chose us.

SO, all that to say, color doesn't REALLY matter.
Although I dream of having a black and white.... bwhahahahhaha

Last edited by TilliesMom; 11-13-2012 at 07:48 PM.
TilliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Same thing happened with Kodi. Based on whatI wanted, our breeder had picked a different puppy for us. But when we went to meet them, the other pup wa cute, but it was Kodi who kept climbing into my lap. I was smitten.

I am sure the other puppy was a great puppy too, but Kodi was the one for us. I can't imagine life without him!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote