Things i should know before buying a Havanese. - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #11
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdee View Post
I love all of these stories! You guys are making me fall even more in love with this breed. I really appreciate all of your advice. I don't mind at all to have a dog being with me all day. I have four boys they are 11, 9, 2 1/2 and 6 months. I won't be getting a puppy for a bit because I want to be able to devote myself to house training and teaching the dog when I get one. Plus i'm potty training my 2 1/2 year old right now.
I really want my dog to do his business only outside. Can you do that using an x-pen? I kind of got the feeling through my research that you should crate train them then.
People use an x pen to give their dogs a little more room. My guys only go outside now. They have a dog door and will go outside no matter what the weather condition. When they were pups, I kept them in an xpen with a pee pad. Since I took them out every 45 min - 60 when I was home, they rarely used the pee pad. When I was gone for a few hours, it gave me peace knowing they had somewhere to go in case of an emergency. They would sleep in a larger crate at night. I put their bed in front and pee pad in back.

My brother and sister got hav's of their own after meeting mine. They were not dog people at all. In fact neither of them had dogs before. They are both crazy about their Havs and have toyed with the idea of getting another
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I think you are right to wait til your life calms down a bit although Havs are great with kids. Ted is my first Hav as I had Scotties before him. I am training Ted to be a therapy dog (which most Scotties would not appreciate) They are a lot of work when they are a puppy and I too have not had a shower or gone to the bathroom alone since I got Ted! I have 2 grandsons who Ted is crazy over. Just remember that beacuse they are little guys they are at the level of the kids when they are wearing diapers or potty training!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Sarahdee

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
I think you are right to wait til your life calms down a bit although Havs are great with kids. Ted is my first Hav as I had Scotties before him. I am training Ted to be a therapy dog (which most Scotties would not appreciate) They are a lot of work when they are a puppy and I too have not had a shower or gone to the bathroom alone since I got Ted! I have 2 grandsons who Ted is crazy over. Just remember that beacuse they are little guys they are at the level of the kids when they are wearing diapers or potty training!
I totally agree! I am not going to get a Havanese until I would be ready for another "child". We were talking about it last night and have decided we are going to wait until spring 2014 . It's a long wait but i'm very excited about it. We need time to save up money for the initial cost and future cost. In the meantime I will be researching everything so I can be as prepared as I ever could be. You guys have all been very helpful and I appreciate it very much!

Last edited by Sarahdee; 11-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Sarahdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
goiter6

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that should be known before getting a Hav is non-shedding is code for needs grooming. Be ready to do that or be ready to pay someone to do it.

Chewy doesn't shed at all - I can rub her on black felt and you won't see a hair, but she costs more in year for hair cuts than I do.
goiter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Buzzys Mom

My little guy sis 6 months old- he is fine in either the crate or the ex-pen. If we are gone for up to 2 hours, we do the ex-pen. If we are gone longer than that, he goes into the crate (and he is fine with that).
I definitely call him sometimes just to find out he is by my feet. My other Hav doesn't do that, so that's new to me. Also, the bathroom thing is true.
Grooming- learn how to do it. I keep my guys in a puppy cut and they go to the groomer 1-2x a year (I cut them every 2 months in between). I bathe them every 2 weeks (the kids like helping with that). They usually aren't barkers (except mine *sigh*).
Also- we are all her to help you every step of the way... whether you choose to start with a puppy or go with a rescue, you are in the right place. Start looking for a breeder now so that you can get on the list for the time you want- you never know, they may have one later on than expected (or earlier than expected) since they match temprement to families.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Sparkle

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
That will give you plenty of time to pick the perfect breeder for you. Great planning! Too many people think that when they're ready for a puppy that there will be one available. Usually not if it's a good breeder.

Others are right, they are a lot of work in the beginning, especially with the ages of your children. So you're definitely doing the right thing by waiting. As for ease of training - I think that totally depends on you. Any 1 puppy could be given to 3 different people & they would all have different results. The experienced person is going to have better training results. The person that asks questions & takes advise will also succeed, but may take a little longer. The person that thinks the puppy should know how to act will create a little brat that no one wants to be around. No matter what the breed!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
JazzFest13

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend's mom got a havanese, and the first time I pet her...I couldn't believe how soft she was! Oh, and so very sweet.

It took me another year before I nailed down a good breeder and got my Desilu. Desilu is everything that a havanese should be. Great temperment. Inquisitive, feisty, playful, sweet, quiet. Loves everyone she meets. The tail doesn't stop. I admire how outgoing she is!
JazzFest13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
2Hav

Hello,

Thought I would chime in with house training, grooming, leaving him alone, and barking.

1) When Benji came home at 10 weeks, he was already using the pad if it was in view.

We took him outside (in the snow) at regular intervals, and praised him to high heaven and gave him a treat whenever he did his business out there. We also praised him when he used the pad inside, but did not give a treat.

We also tied a long cord to a bell, that he can tug on to let us know he wants to go out. We started by ringing the bell each time we took him out. Then had him play with the rope and whenever he made the bell ring, we opened the door and took him out, so he caught on. But we continue to make a big happy deal of it when he goes outside - and it has paid off big time.

We do leave a pad by the back door, and that does get used sometimes when we are away for several hours. It is nice to know he has that option, though it is seldom used.

2) I brush him almost every day, and he needs a bath every two weeks, though sometimes he has to wait three. He comes home from walks when it is wet out, a muddy mess, and needs rinsing off and brushing. My husband does the nails weekly.

3) It was heart breaking leaving him alone at first - we started with 1/2 hour, and slowly worked our way up - with his crate in an ex-pen and a pad and a stuffed kong. Luckily, we both work from home, so he is not on his own often. Now that he is a year old, it is not traumatic to leave him, though he would much rather come along, and is very happy when we return. He follows me around most of the day - and has his favorite places to curl up while keeping tabs on me.

4) He barks 2-6 times when the doorbell rings, or if he hears someone coming - something I was hoping would not happen, and all the training advice I have tried, has not stopped this -YET.

5) He is highly affectionate with everyone. Even those he barked at a minute before.

Ashti - Benji's
2Hav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
HalleBerry

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Halle will be a year old the end of this month... wow has time flown since she came home! She is still growing her adult coat; she is bathed twice a week, combed at least daily if not more often. She is always happy - she never meets a stranger - and she is wonderfully intelligent. I had no idea how much I would adore her - I worried about the coat, my husband wasn't thrilled at the little dog thing, and I also have great danes so we just didn't know how she would fit in. This dog, this breed - absolutely amazing.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
This dog, this breed - absolutely amazing

Great statement! I agree 100%. They are the perfect breed. I was not a dog person before I got one. And the Havanese was my first dog ever. They are human like!