Thought I Was Adopting A Mellow & Dignified Lap Dog - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #31
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, they mellow out. and yes, if walk 'em more, they tire out.

teaching my little guy how to fetch (loves it), was one of the best tricks, he loves it and it wears him out.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
jillnors2

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
My havanese, Mayzie, is very hyper at 2 years and 2 months. I wanted that as she is a performance dog, however, it is challenging, on a daily basis, she needs a long walk, a RUN offleash, and training. It's not easy to get her to a park, field, etc every day for a run but I try to do it, if not, she gets a 2 or 3 mile walk, she also has pup friend that runs with her. Also, you wouldn't believe how much training (sit, stay, down, heal-as well as agility, rally, whatever) wears them out so I would suggest putting your dog in school so that he has a positive way to channel his energy. These are extremely smart little dogs who love to use their brains-as you can tell by your dog who likes puzzles.

I also have a 11 year old dog and a 13 year old dog so I make sure Mayzie gets mind and body exercise every day so she doesn't pick on the 13 year old. It is true that I tired dog is a good dog.

Last edited by jillnors2; 11-14-2012 at 07:56 AM.
jillnors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
My pup, I think, had average high puppy energy levels. What helped was that we kept VERY busy that first year. It sounds like you're on the right track. Here's what I did:
- Doggie daycare: at least one day a week - he'd come home nearly comatose and they'd tell me he rarely stopped running all day.
- Puppy play sessions: the awesome trainer in my area holds 1 hr monitored puppy play sessions, and that's where you can meet the *really* high energy breeds. Marlowe wouldn't last the hour before he got exhausted.
- Dog park: we have a small dog park (vs large dog park) in my area that is great, and we'd spend an hour there most days and he'd run to his heart's content with his friends. That's where his teenage "nope, i'm not going listen to you" first kicked in and it could take me 20 mins to get him to leave because he'd keep running away. I realize not all dog parks are created equal and I've been to others when visiting friends that Marlowe wanted nothing to do with and wouldn't leave my lap, but if you have the option - it's great.
Classes - at least one day a week, we took nearly every class offered by my local trainer. he loved it and especially agility. although he still manages to get a foot of air when going from a down to a sit very enthusiastically, his energy was channeled and he was learning manners/to listen closely to me. nothing puts Marlowe into an alert sit with eyes on me like the promise of cheese, no matter how riled up he is.
Crate time! - when he got too much for us, it was quiet time in the crate. The crate was used liberally the first year I had Marlowe. I think it kept us all sane.
Last, my cat - I have a high energy, 'dog-like' cat, who was about 1.5 yrs old when Marlowe came home. After a hesitant first couple of days, they became fast friends. They still wrestle like crazy every morning. I had to quit setting my home security system on 'away' because although they say it won't go off with animals under 40 lbs, the do crazy buggers (10+16 lbs) managed to do it.

Having an adorable puppy is fun, but I gotta say, I love hanging out with my easy going, well behaved adult now. He's basically perfect, but the first year was a lot of work to get him there - almost every spare moment was dedicated to him.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #34
Anna6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Hang in there!! At nearly 2 1/2 yrs sometimes I feel like my hav is a bump on a log! lol
your hav will get there someday too!

Ooooohhh I can't wait but I am not sure if my people kids will like that. They love the crazy pupopy stage.

I need to send some one out to run with her in the morning. I can't keep up with her. I take her for a long walk during the day in the late afternoon but often when we come back I need to enlist one of my children to take her for another run. She also plays with them inbetween. She is kind of like my now adult son with ADHD. I needed to make sure he got his excercise in order for him to stay out of trouble.

I look at her now laying in her cat bed that has a taller edge. Her head is hanging out and she looks almost death. I send some of the kids out this morning to excericse her becasue she was crazy but as soon as she came back she "passed" out.

Last edited by Anna6; 11-14-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
Anna6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
Yes, they mellow out. and yes, if walk 'em more, they tire out.

teaching my little guy how to fetch (loves it), was one of the best tricks, he loves it and it wears him out.

True it is the only way I can tire Nina out as I can't run along with her. This is also good if the weather does not permit outside play and walks.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnors2 View Post
My havanese, Mayzie, is very hyper at 2 years and 2 months. I wanted that as she is a performance dog, however, it is challenging, on a daily basis, she needs a long walk, a RUN offleash, and training. It's not easy to get her to a park, field, etc every day for a run but I try to do it, if not, she gets a 2 or 3 mile walk, she also has pup friend that runs with her. Also, you wouldn't believe how much training (sit, stay, down, heal-as well as agility, rally, whatever) wears them out so I would suggest putting your dog in school so that he has a positive way to channel his energy. These are extremely smart little dogs who love to use their brains-as you can tell by your dog who likes puzzles.

I also have a 11 year old dog and a 13 year old dog so I make sure Mayzie gets mind and body exercise every day so she doesn't pick on the 13 year old. It is true that I tired dog is a good dog.
I agree. I have a higher energy Hav because I WANTED a performance dog. Kodi has been "in school" a minimum of 3 days per week since he was very young. Even as a little puppy, we did his regular Puppy K class during the week, and a second Puppy drop-in on Sat. mornings. Now he does a formal obedience class, an agility class and rally run-throughs, plus we alternate between a drop-in obedience class (which is cheap) and a private obedience lesson (which is expensive). And, of course, we train every day too. We also go on walks regularly, except for agility day, when I let him save his energy for the courses. That day, we just do a short warm-up walk just before class.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote