combs for face - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Becky Chittenden

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pepper is darling. I love the Greyhound pin brush and a couple weeks ago bought a second one. I also bought one of their combs (fine, medium). I like both the brush and comb better than the CC ones. The vendor I bought them from told me there are other "fake" greyhound products and even one called real or official greyhound (or something like that). The ones I'm using are from England.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
I also use a greyhound comb, medium and fine, on Tyler's face. First I use the medium end in case there are any small mats and then finish with the fine end. I also do his ears with the fine end. Love Pepper's eye patch, very cute.
BYW, I have a daughter who lives in Westminister West which sounds like it might be close to you in Southern VT.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
rokipiki

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Throw out that pin brush right now! That is a very common mistake. A pin brush is properly used for fluffing out long poodle type hair such as on bichon frise head and poodle top knots. Mind you, I said fluffing out, not maintaining it. They still have to get a comb through and nevermind dematting with a pin brush. If you have a high quality one that has dense pins then it could be ok, but most of the more common ones are not effective. That will lead you down the path of not being able to identify tangles and your puppy will end up matted, unless s/he is going to have limp thin coat. You need a soft slicker at this point and then switch to a comb as your #1 tool. Even if you are going to give your puppy haircuts.
Now I have quite a number of questionmarks above my head! I have a number od havanese grooming books saying that slicker brush is sort of no-no for havanese because it can destroy coat. The advice is to use it ONLY on feet! Couple of days ago I have bought CC gold series pin brush. It is awesome because it acutally detect tangles and takes them out. Not to mention that coat is super shiny and super silky after the brushing. After brushing I go through with buttercomb. Yes, sometimes I use only comb. Good slicker for feet is OK

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokipiki View Post
Now I have quite a number of questionmarks above my head! I have a number od havanese grooming books saying that slicker brush is sort of no-no for havanese because it can destroy coat. The advice is to use it ONLY on feet! Couple of days ago I have bought CC gold series pin brush. It is awesome because it acutally detect tangles and takes them out. Not to mention that coat is super shiny and super silky after the brushing. After brushing I go through with buttercomb. Yes, sometimes I use only comb. Good slicker for feet is OK
Yes, I think maybe you read what I wrote too fast. I said a cheap pin brush is no good, a high quality one is fine. If you've ever seen the $5 pin brushes available here you would see it is no good. Yours is several times the cost and quality I'm sure. In all honesty, I didn't like my CC brush on my puppy at first. The more effective was a soft slicker, which does a better job at separating hair. If you use a harsh slicker it can damage the coat. I don't know when your book was written, but today there are a lot more options than before. Slicker brushes used to be very harsh with thick teeth. Now, if you get a nice soft one it should be a lot better than how they used to all be made. I use one without hesitation on my dog.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the CC wood pin brush (Q seems to like it better because it's no so scratchy on his skin) and it really works very well. I'm going to buy another one so I have a spare LOL
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
rokipiki

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Yes, I think maybe you read what I wrote too fast. I said a cheap pin brush is no good, a high quality one is fine. If you've ever seen the $5 pin brushes available here you would see it is no good. Yours is several times the cost and quality I'm sure. In all honesty, I didn't like my CC brush on my puppy at first. The more effective was a soft slicker, which does a better job at separating hair. If you use a harsh slicker it can damage the coat. I don't know when your book was written, but today there are a lot more options than before. Slicker brushes used to be very harsh with thick teeth. Now, if you get a nice soft one it should be a lot better than how they used to all be made. I use one without hesitation on my dog.
Can you recomend good soft slicker? I am thinking about ordering this one

http://olivegreendog.com/pet-groomin...icker-brush-1/

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I'm pretty sure CC makes one, I saw it on their website.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
nlb
Nicki:Cassie & Roo's mom

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 7 Posts
Welcome! What a beautiful puppy you have!

when I first got my puppy, I had the most success using a slicker. Then after I started using CC's shampoos and Ice on Ice, I could use a comb. Now she is a year old and is starting to get mats though tiny, and I have better results using the slicker again. I use both, but the slicker works through the coat faster.

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo
nlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Gabs

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I love my slicker brush --- it works so good. The one I have is for sensitive skin (make sure its soft -- run it over the back of your hand, if it hurts you dont get it). works amazing to keep the coat tangle free and works great to get tangles out http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0002AQPO8

I use the CC comb and my brush slicker - both have made grooming her sooo much easier