Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Ugh- gross!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ugh- gross!

I have no idea how this happened... Oscar decided to start eating poop during the snowstorm last week, both his and Buzzy's. I thought he was just playing and eating the snow, but I was wrong. Since we are potty training him, we say, "Yes," and give him a treat when he poops outside. His new thing- going to Buzzy while Buzzy is pooping and literally trying to eat it as it is coming out of him! I can usually run to the yard after them and get there quick enough, but this morning, Oscar got a mouthful (which i had to take out of his mouth). So my question is, what do I do? He has no interest in his own poop (thankfully), but he sure does love Buzzy's. Is it a phase? Will it pass? Is it because he LOVES Buzzy's food (Oscar gets the puppy version). I should mention that we are outside with them when they are out there, but the backyard is fenced in so he is not on a leash.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
Tyler ate his until I changed his food. Now he seems to have no interest in it, however, he still eats other dogs', if he gets hold of it. That happens when at the beach, on a walk or at the dog park, although we don't go there anymore just for that reason. He's also very quick, so I don't notice it sometime until it's too late. Don't know what the fascination is, but he's fascinated!. BTW, he's 15, so in his case, it's not a phase.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
The Fussy Puppy Gang
Pepper's mom

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 5 Posts
There is an additive called Forbid that you can put on Buzzy's food to make his poop unpalatable. Some people add pineapple to the food, a tsp or tbsp, depending on the size of the dog eating the food.

We used to micromanage the offender while outside, even if this meant putting them on leash for potty runs in the yard. Since our dogs only pooped twice a day, it was easy to know on which outings we had to leash the culprit.

I hope it is a phase for Oscar!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Put some bitter apple spray on the poop--even if you have to spray as it comes out. Then turn the offender loose and let him get a taste. Hot sauce works also. Seems like I have more poop on my hands with Rosie and now Jethro the kitten. I am thinking of having Rosie in a puppy cut and her butt shaved. And today I picked up what I thought was dirt off the floor and it was kitten poop probably from its foot. And to think we sleep with these varmits. lol
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

I've been religiously teaching "leave it" and it seems to be helping a little. I still can't trust him alone, but he's getting better about going and moving on LOL
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Buzzys Mom

THanks! We are definitely working on the leave it thing. I also have been taking him out on a leash. I will try the Forbid... he is just so fast sometimes! My husband had gotten the hose ready this morning, but he didn't go there. IDK if he really would have sprayed him though.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzys Mom View Post
THanks! We are definitely working on the leave it thing. I also have been taking him out on a leash. I will try the Forbid... he is just so fast sometimes! My husband had gotten the hose ready this morning, but he didn't go there. IDK if he really would have sprayed him though.
The leash helps a lot. I also talk to him while he's going (I know, crazy dog lady). After he's done, I tell him what a great boy he is an get all excited to leave it and go in the house. I'm talking REAL excited so that he forgets about it LOL. Or "find daddy in the house" works for him too. He won't eat it if it's old, but fresh, yum! LOL. Oh, and the next time he goes out, if I haven't picked it up beforehand, he'll go right over there and sit until I scoop it. Fastidious lil' dude.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Buzzys Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
The leash helps a lot. I also talk to him while he's going (I know, crazy dog lady). After he's done, I tell him what a great boy he is an get all excited to leave it and go in the house. I'm talking REAL excited so that he forgets about it LOL. Or "find daddy in the house" works for him too. He won't eat it if it's old, but fresh, yum! LOL. Oh, and the next time he goes out, if I haven't picked it up beforehand, he'll go right over there and sit until I scoop it. Fastidious lil' dude.
That's funny- if I talk to Oscar when he is going, he stops going. I just try to say, "make pee," or "make poop," while he is doing it so he can learn to go on command like Buzzy. But if I say it more than once, forget- he comes charging at me!