for those interested... - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Alternative and Home Cooked Diets

Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaandRiley View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking some questions. Do you use only fresh vegetables,as in, not frozen? Does Sabine specify which brands of supplements to buy? I don't like that some are made in China. Can you use different meats (chicken, lamb, etc)? Does the meat have to be ground or can you cut up, say, a round steak into small pieces? Is there an option for giving raw meaty bones? I would feed the meat raw. Wow, more questions than I thought. Sorry!
Sabine makes EACH dogs recipie based on THAT specific dog and his/her requirements (size, activity level, etc) AND she also asks what YOUR prefrences are regarding feeding. One of them being raw.
yes, she actually sent me the link for each supplement as I had a hard time finding them while I was ordering.
as far as the meat and the prep that is up to how much work YOU want to do and what Sabine recommends.
When I did the questionairre, I knew what she was allergic to and how much time I realistically had. I wanted something as 'easy' as possibly because I knew this was something I would be doing for the rest of her life and if it was too hard, too involved I don't know that I would have been able to stick with it...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Wow, I really admire you for making her food from scratch. Hamburg and veggies? I think Hanna would like some of that. Although she's much pickier than my mom's old chihuahua. That fat little chi would eat ANYTHING.
lol, ya ironically Tillie will actually eat anything. She is NOT picky what so ever. I do this for her health. We'd love to have Hanna over for a dinner date!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
yeah I might add, the supplements she recommends are always top quality and or human grade. Keep in mind ,there is little to no regulations in pet food suppliments while there is rigid standards in human grade suppliments.

Last edited by davetgabby; 11-14-2012 at 07:51 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
I think Tillie eats better than I do! yep I know she does I should spend a few hrs a week and make meals for all of us ! What is the list of supplements?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Can you say over the top?!!! Tammy you rock! What a great dog mom you are. Everything look delicious.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I think Tillie eats better than I do! yep I know she does I should spend a few hrs a week and make meals for all of us ! What is the list of supplements?
hi Suzi, depends on what you're feeding your dog. Common ones are EFA's and probiotics.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
yeah I might add, the supplements she recommends are always top quality and or human grade. Keep in mind ,there is little to no regulations in pet food suppliments while there is rigid standards in human grade suppliments.
Good point, Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
lol, my husband says the same thing frequently. lol
ALTHOUGH tonight when I was telling him about the price break down I did on here earlier he actually said, "Only the best for our girl" .... awwww

As for the supplements, Sabine bases on what each dog needs individually, I am always amazed at how very different every dogs diet is from her! It's crazy!!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
riverlogic

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you are a great dog mom! I wouldn't trust myself to ensure all the nutritional needs were being met. That's a lot of research you've done. And you must be very organized Tammy

Although when Bucky had a cold (stuffed up, sneezing, looking like he felt just miserable) my chicken noodle soup did the trick.
riverlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
TilliesMom

lol, oh I take NO credit ... Sabine is the one that makes sure her diet is nutritionally complete... I just follow directions well! lol and yes, I am very organized ... drives my messy unorganized husband kids crazy.