Oh No. - Page 5 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about Tillie, Pee is so hard to deal with in carpets and beds etc., I am just reading this, and I know this is scary for you. Generally with a UTI the dog urinates often but in tiny amounts, they are very sore and as the infection ascends to the bladder they feel a burning so they will keep trying to empty it...just like we do.

Since you are cooking a home diet it is important you tell your Vet...yeah often they are not fond of home cooking...but it is your choice...be firm...you also need to call Sabine as there may be an ingredient that could be causing the readings, or she may need to make an adjustment based on Tillie's body, then again it may be totally unrelated, it is important you tell your vet all of the facts so he can make a proper diagnosis. Hope they get to the bottom of this quickly!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #42
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am just reading this now...poor Tillie! She must feel so bad to go on your bed I hope you get everything figured out soon. I'm curious about what in the food could cause stones? I home cook too so I do worry. ((hugs)) from me and Ozzie
gertchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertchie View Post
I am just reading this now...poor Tillie! She must feel so bad to go on your bed I hope you get everything figured out soon. I'm curious about what in the food could cause stones? I home cook too so I do worry. ((hugs)) from me and Ozzie
homecooking doesn't cause stones. Kibble is more a cause of stones.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #44
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about Tillie, Pee is so hard to deal with in carpets and beds etc., I am just reading this, and I know this is scary for you. Generally with a UTI the dog urinates often but in tiny amounts, they are very sore and as the infection ascends to the bladder they feel a burning so they will keep trying to empty it...just like we do.

Since you are cooking a home diet it is important you tell your Vet...yeah often they are not fond of home cooking...but it is your choice...be firm...you also need to call Sabine as there may be an ingredient that could be causing the readings, or she may need to make an adjustment based on Tillie's body, then again it may be totally unrelated, it is important you tell your vet all of the facts so he can make a proper diagnosis. Hope they get to the bottom of this quickly!

Her vet is fully aware of my home cooking for her. In fact, it was HE who first suggested it!! Sabine did a few tweaks with the actual vitamins, but other than that it is what the vet wanted her on.
When he called me yesterday he asked again what she ate and I told him exactly what she eats, how it is prepared, etc. Then he asked me about what treats she has. and I told him. I DID ask about her diet and he actually said he was more concerned with weather commercial treats could be the problem...
I agree, I DO need to talk with Sabine and I will be consulting her this week!

thanks for the idea!!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Her vet is fully aware of my home cooking for her. In fact, it was HE who first suggested it!! Sabine did a few tweaks with the actual vitamins, but other than that it is what the vet wanted her on.
When he called me yesterday he asked again what she ate and I told him exactly what she eats, how it is prepared, etc. Then he asked me about what treats she has. and I told him. I DID ask about her diet and he actually said he was more concerned with weather commercial treats could be the problem...
I agree, I DO need to talk with Sabine and I will be consulting her this week!

thanks for the idea!!
couldn't agree more.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #46
The Laughing Magpie

Diets too hight in Purine can cause this, since Tammy is homecooking "if" that is the problem it is an easy fix. Purine is found in fish, beef, and poultry. Dogs like humans are all different sometimes things need to be changed a bit, what works today may not down the road. It was in no way a criticism, a custom diet is easier to fix, than a one size fits all commercial diet.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #47
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
Diets too hight in Purine can cause this, since Tammy is homecooking "if" that is the problem it is an easy fix. Purine is found in fish, beef, and poultry. Dogs like humans are all different sometimes things need to be changed a bit, what works today may not down the road. It was in no way a criticism, a custom diet is easier to fix, than a one size fits all commercial diet.
yeah Robbie that may be , but please do not make statements like "...yeah often they are not fond of home cooking..." . Home cooking is far more adaptable and healthy for dogs than any other form of food ,in particular kibble. You scare peole eg. Gertchie http://kidneystoneshelp.com/prevent-...tones-in-dogs/

Last edited by davetgabby; 11-18-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #48
The Laughing Magpie

Dave, Vets are like that they often get upset when they hear RAW or Home cooked, not because these are bad diets, it has more to do with them being drilled with what can go wrong in Vet School, Tammy is feeding a diet she got from a nutritionist so she is doing it right...but there are many people out there that feed there dogs table scraps and call it home cooked...this is what Vets too ofen think, it is often hard to get past that with some Vets. Tammy's Vet already knew about Tillies diet and that is what they often look at with stones.

To make peace with the fact I am admittedly more conservative with Vet medicine and such then your more natural approach. Here is a link about stones:
vhttp://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_6/features/Kidney-Stones-Bladder-Stones_16231-1.html
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #49
davetgabby
Dave T

Robbie, the problem that I have is your statement that I mentioned, it comes accross wrong.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #50
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
interesting, thanks for the heads up Robbie. Her main protien IS beef ... curious to hear from Sabine ... I will keep ya'll posted!
Katiemom (11-21-2012)