Am I paranoid? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Izzy-bella

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
You are definitely not paranoid! Just vigilant...and careful...and loving...and smart...so keep it up. This is a very sad post, thinking of that little one that was snatched away.
I remember reading about it and weeping...so better we should be forewarned and therefore careful.
Izzy-bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
riverlogic

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have coyotes, and the occasional eagle, hawks. The coyotes used to come into the yard and challenge my malamute. She's gone over the rainbow bridge, but now with Bucky and our new little girl, we're outside with them. They aren't outside alone.
My malamute used to let us know when the coyotes were around. They have a circuit and aren't always in our area. When she'd let us know, I'd call my neighbour with a shih tsu, she'd call her neighbour, etc. Our own little neighbourhood watch system to ensure anyone with a small dog knew not to let their little ones out alone.
You're not paranoid. I've heard of small dogs and a number of cats being taken by the coyotes locally. They can get very brave.
Michelle
Michelle
riverlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaandRiley View Post
I'm so glad right now that I live in the suburbs. BTW, Riley still never goes out in the yard alone because I'm afraid a HUMAN will take him!
Don't count Coyotes out in the suburbs... While I back up to open land, the coyotes don't stay there. This pack has taken small dogs and cats all over town. The stupid people who let their small dogs out in invisible fenced yards have mostly lost their dogs.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Yes, I think she said lynx. Lynx is much bigger than a bobcat but either way that is horrible.
Probably not a Lynx, though... I don't think there are any in CA. Most are in Canada and Alaska, with a small population re-introduced to Colorado.

And yes, they are MUCH bigger. I got to meet one at a photo session a few months ago, and the thing was bigger than an Aussie!!! It was pretty cute playing with this shoe, but when it got up and started to come over to investigate us, both we and its handler moved pretty fast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 10 03 BWPS Shoot-105.jpg (875.2 KB, 3 views)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
My boys never go out alone. We live in the city limits, but there is a drainage 'slough' that wanders around town, and there is a lot of wildlife around here. Coyotes for one, and a lot of the neighborhood cats have disappeared at one time or another. I have had Augie occasionally refuse to budge on walks along one of the paths where coyotes have been seen. I think he must smell them and must instinctively know they are bad. There have been a few times at night when we take him out for his last potty that he just plants his feet and won't go any further. So then we take him out to the front yard and he will go. A neighbor in a little neighborhood behind us was out with her Shi Tzu one day for a potty break the same time I had Augie out. Her dog is larger than Augie, but not on leash. Augie was on leash. We had a huge bird - she said it was an eagle - circling us high overhead...until we both got nervous and picked up our dogs. After they were picked up, the bird left.

I also recall it being a bobcat that got Zoey. I can't imagine the horror.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #26
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am super paranoid, especially after I read about Zoey! That one made me cry We live in the city limits but on a small lake so there is a lot of wildlife. We used to have 2 geese and numerous ducks but all have been killed by river otters (not the cute kind!). We also have many hawks, skunk, nutria, racoons, and who knows what else out there. Sometimes I will let Ozzie out during the day and duck into the house for a moment but I'm just too scared and have to go back out. The neighbors leave their 2 little weiners out all day long, scary! I thought I was overprotective but you all made me feel better! I could just never live with myself if anything bad happened to Ozzie and I could have prevented it.
gertchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear the coy dogs howling and barking every night out in the woods. We are surrounded by apple orchard and woods here and have a fenced in yard, but hearing them out there always scares me! I take Q out every time on his leash if it's dark out. Even during the day I got out with him even if he's not on his leash. He's 13 pounds now, but still...
The neighbor about a mile up the street told me she saw one of the wild dogs and she said it was almost as big as a deer! Now, I haven't seen it myself, but sure is scary!
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote