Tips for getting hair up and out of eyes? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
I say go for the bangs! Once you get the bangs started, it just takes a little tweaking here and there to get that shaggy look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA$IMAG0107-2.jpg (72.4 KB, 3 views)

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #32
Sparkle

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
This looks like a great solution. Groomer did a topnot(ch) job.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #33
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am definitely going to have to get myself some of those thinning shears. Ah, hubby will love me spending more money on grooming supplies LOL! The hair on top of his head was just a little bit too heavy and that was causing the majority of it to fall forward. I did have her thin the inside area of his eyes just a tad too because the goobers were just collecting right in that spot and got hard to comb out even when they were dry. Cleaning out his eyes is just so much easier with all that extra hair gone. He still looks shaggy He still has that fine, fluffy puppy hair so it doesn't really stay in one spot. She said to use a little bit of hairspray to start training it to lay down on the top of his head. I just squirt a little bit (non aerosol) on my hands and smooth his hair down on either side. That helps to keep it from falling into his face a little too. It doesn't last all that long, but it's enough for now
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #34
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaneseSoon View Post
I say go for the bangs! Once you get the bangs started, it just takes a little tweaking here and there to get that shaggy look.
A little at a time Will see how this grows out and maybe will go back and take a little more off if it still isn't enough. Would rather take off a little at a time. Plus she said something about the bangs being done in an arch? Not sure how that would look.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Also, watch the way the hair flops when it is messy, then do a little trim here and there. The thinning shear at Sallys were about $30- or less or so.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #36
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I had started doing pony tails for Bama. Sometimes one, sometimes two. I found the soft kind of little scrunchie worked best for me. The rubber ones needed more loops and she would squirm and wiggle. I stopped doing them though because her ear got injured. We aren't even sure how exactly or when. We just noticed something was going on with the tip of her ear. the vet said some ear hair or maybe even the tip of her ear must have gotten caught in the ponytail and cut off circulation. (being part pomeranian her ears stick up and the hair on them gets long). We had no idea it happened because she didn't act as if she was in pain or distress. I felt horrible, but vet reassured me it was an accident and that she isn't in pain...and pointed out that now we would be able to always identify her (in addition to her microchip of course). They shaved her one ear to make sure there wasn't an infection so now she had one shaved ear and looks a little lopsided. Hopefully the hair will grow back quickly. Anyway, my point is to always check after putting in a ponytail on a squiggly puppy. AmNow I just use the occasional clip or soft rubberbands for short periods of time (like when she goes to obedience class). We may decide its best to go with short bangs. I had always worried she would get the ponytail holder out somehow and try to eat it.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #37
mcc.christina

I wonder if you could use hair wax, such as the wax men use for mustaches? Someone told me to use it on the little hairs that stick up into Eloises eyes after a bad grooming. Haven't tried it, but wonder if you could use a little to make a part until it grows out?

The little cut turned out nice!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #38
nlb
Nicki:Cassie & Roo's mom

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 7 Posts
When Cass was very young and her hair was just barely long enough, I tried thsese, but she was not thrilled and I didn't like it that much. Recently I put a tiny hair clip in to pull back the side that keep falling forward. It doesn't bug her and can last all day. I still prefer to see her eyes with just a trim in front. I used to for the maltese use a square of wax paper and wrap it around the hair and fold it back and put a band on it for a top knot. Like in the first pic. If you just cut a upside down V between their eyes it helps alot with those strays in the eyes. Getting them to hold still is the tricky part!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0321.jpg (1.17 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 031 (3).jpg (1.12 MB, 1 views)

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo
nlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #39
nlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc.christina View Post
I wonder if you could use hair wax, such as the wax men use for mustaches? Someone told me to use it on the little hairs that stick up into Eloises eyes after a bad grooming. Haven't tried it, but wonder if you could use a little to make a part until it grows out?

The little cut turned out nice!
I tried the chapstick trick, and it was a fail...

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #40
nlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
A little at a time Will see how this grows out and maybe will go back and take a little more off if it still isn't enough. Would rather take off a little at a time. Plus she said something about the bangs being done in an arch? Not sure how that would look.
Yes, the arch is what I do. If you comb out the strip of hair just above their eyes to go straight foward, then hold the hair between your two fingers in a curve like going from one side of the face to the other ( follow the shape of their head).

Nicki, Cassie, & Roo

Last edited by nlb; 11-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.