Oh No. - Page 6 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #51
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Worrying is not unusual for people who home cook and reflects an appropriate concern for the health of their dogs, just as people who feed commercial foods worry about whether they are feeding the best brand to their dog. I seriously doubt anyone is 'scared'.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #52
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Tammy, I hope Tillie feels better soon and it is an easy fix.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #53
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
thanks! me too.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #54
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Just reading this about the crystals. Tammy, it sounds like you got her in right away, so was caught early. Augie did have crystals. The only sign I had was that he was not able to hold his urine through the night, where he had always been able to do so. He does not have access to beds, but he was peeing on the throw rug that is over tile in front of the front door. I was freaking too, but we went through a course of antibiotics, maybe two courses (my memory is shaky here). The vet also put him on a canned 'urinary' diet for a month. His urine was also too alkaline at that time. We were advised to go back on the food he was initially on where he had done well, until I foolishly changed it. He just did not do well on the new food. He had a lot of blood in his urine at the time as well, and she injected fluid under his skin on his back to help flush his system out. When he was rechecked again after treatment, the crystals were no longer there. This was about a year ago exactly. And, knock on wood, he has done well since.

I hope Tillie recovers quickly. Yes, definitely talk to Sabine and perhaps she can give you some adjustments to make to help in Tillie's recovery.

Last edited by motherslittlehelper; 11-19-2012 at 01:33 AM.
motherslittlehelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #55
mckennasedona
Susan

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tammy, I hope Tillie is feeling better soon.
One of our 8 year old Yorkies (actually my father-in-law's but they live with us), started having peeing issues early last year. She would be asleep on my lap or next to me on the couch and I'd feel wetness. Thankfully we keep blankets over our couch and chairs. I didn't think that much of it at first figuring she was just overly tired so the urge to pee didn't wake her up. She didn't seem to have any other symptoms. When it happened a couple more times, I took her to the vet. They did a urinalysis and found some crystals and then they did an x-ray and found bladder stones. Surgery to remove them took care of it and she is now on a diet formulated for dogs who have had bladder stones. I am happy to say no more accidents and no more stones on any of her followups. She did great after surgery and recovery was actually pretty quick.

mckennasedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #56
Murphysmom2011

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Tammy,

I have been out of town, and did not check the forum while I was gone. I hope Tillie is feeling better now and you find out what the problem is.

Murphy also had issues with crystals and had several bladder infections. We switched him off of kibble to a raw diet and it helped quite a bit. I know Tillie's diet is very good so hopefully this is just an unusual occurance and she gets well soon.

Take Care!

Diane and Murphy
Murphysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #57
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
So sorry to hear about this.

I know one of the ways humans can get kidney stones is as a result of a UTI. Often humans don't know they are there until they start to pass them. They can be picked up on an ultrasound though.

I wanted to add that I really admire that you do home cooking. I need to do some human home cooking...take out and TV dinners all the time are not the best pick.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #58
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
lol, ya, and believe it or not I HATE cooking. LOVE baking, but hate cooking. lol
Every single night I struggle with making dinner. I am thankful that I only have to cook for Tillie once a week and it is ALWAYS the exact same thing. ha ha. wish I could get away with that for my human famiily!!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #59
StarrLhasa
Starr

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
What's the good word, Tammy? How is Tillie feeling? Has the pain and shaking gone?

Did you get in touch with Sabine about possibly changing Tillie's protein source or other nutrients?

Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

Starr in NorCal
Mom to Buffy & Buster
Havanese Rescue - won't you join us?

StarrLhasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #60
dodrop82

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Evidently she's busy with the turkey...I HATE cooking too, Tammy! And currently Chris and I are Low Carb dieting, which makes meal times SOOOOOO much harder!!! Tomorrow is gonna be a "Carbs-be-****ed day" for me! Let us know how the girl is doing when you got a minute!