New Havanese owner needs reassurance - Page 73 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #721
Kathie

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hmmm......are you calling me an old cronie, Dave?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #722
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
only as far as your membership on the forum.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Feeling much gratitude this day
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #723
kaydm

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 2 Times in 1 Post
Feeling much gratitude this day

Here's a little update on Maggie and me. I just got sprung from a stay in hospital. During this time, Maggie was boarded at her vet's. Day 8 the vet said she had stopped eating and was concerned Maggie was feeling abandoned.

I asked my friend to spring her as my friend had wanted to take her to her home. My friend took her home. Maggie was so traumatized she did not want to go in her crate at night. So my friend put her on her chest as she lay on the couch for several hours. Maggie did not move but just looked around.

Next day my friend brought her to the hospital. Apparently all these people are dog lovers. Maggie was placed on my bed and she licked my hand and then my chin. That had never happened before. I cried.

Maggie refused to eat her kibble the night before and that morning. So friend's boyfriend fed her roast white meat turkey. Well, at the hospital she was panting as she does not like car travel. But soon my food tray arrived and her little nose went to town.

Keep in mind that Maggie has never eaten from my hand. In fact, she will never eat if I or anyone else is in the same room. Nor will she drink water.

I cut up a plain, unseasoned chicken breast in small bites and placed them one at a time on a napkin by her face. She ate half the small breast. Then we dumped the grapes and put water in the little dish. She drank it all just a foot from me.

My friend left us alone for a half hour. Maggie stopped panting and lay down and I watched her breathing return to normal.

The next day my friend brought her back to visit. Again she was panting from the car ride. After petting her a little we got a styrofoam cup filled with water. I held it and Maggie drank it all. I cried some more.

This neurotic little dog is bonded to me and I had questioned that all along.

I got sprung from hospital next day late. My friends brought Maggie home to me, putting her down on the kitchen floor. I said, let's go out, Maggie. She bounded for the door and then the most amazing thing. She did her happy dance and twirls that she only does in the morning and she WAGGED HER TAIL! Since having her in August 2009 she has never wagged her tail for me, only for other dogs. Wow, just wow.

Well, you all wanted updates. Couldn't be more pleased to oblige.

Hope all had a fine day.
kaydm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #724
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Wow! All your hard work and dedication is paying off! I am so happy you shared this with us.
I hope you are ok....I think my guys can sense when something is wrong. I bet Maggie sensed you were hurt and she bonded even more with you!
I do hope she continues to make progress.
I would love to see some updated pictures of her
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #725
NvonS

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Lily was traumatized by her rehoming at 8 months. The poor little thing threw up for 3 days. I would put her food down and she would eat a little and then throw up. I took her to the vet and they said to give her pepcid. It took about two weeks and she finally got on a regular eating schedule. She would only go to my daughters but eventually warmed up to me. I kept a thin string on her around the house so I could catch her around the house. It was easier for both of us. Be patient it will take time.
NvonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #726
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
What a wonderful, precious gift!!! You've worked so hard and carefully with her; It's wonderful to read how she responded to you!! Thanks for letting us know, too.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #727
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
So glad to see the update from you about Maggie. It's nice to go back and see the process it sometimes takes for a dog to come into "their confident life". It's not always easy-it takes time and so much love but it's always so heart warming when it happens. Hugs to you & Maggie and keep the updates coming.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #728
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Wow, Kay! Now you've got us ALL crying!!! Hope YOU are on the mend too!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #729
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
As I was reading I felt so bad for both of you. I'm glad the vet called some may not have. You have a very good friend and I'm happy she was able to come to the hospital. I cant remember Maggies story but I will try to get filled in.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #730
Flynn Gentry-Taylor
Flynn of Sir Winston fame

Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydm View Post
Here's a little update on Maggie and me. I just got sprung from a stay in hospital. During this time, Maggie was boarded at her vet's. Day 8 the vet said she had stopped eating and was concerned Maggie was feeling abandoned.

I asked my friend to spring her as my friend had wanted to take her to her home. My friend took her home. Maggie was so traumatized she did not want to go in her crate at night. So my friend put her on her chest as she lay on the couch for several hours. Maggie did not move but just looked around.

Next day my friend brought her to the hospital. Apparently all these people are dog lovers. Maggie was placed on my bed and she licked my hand and then my chin. That had never happened before. I cried.

Maggie refused to eat her kibble the night before and that morning. So friend's boyfriend fed her roast white meat turkey. Well, at the hospital she was panting as she does not like car travel. But soon my food tray arrived and her little nose went to town.

Keep in mind that Maggie has never eaten from my hand. In fact, she will never eat if I or anyone else is in the same room. Nor will she drink water.

I cut up a plain, unseasoned chicken breast in small bites and placed them one at a time on a napkin by her face. She ate half the small breast. Then we dumped the grapes and put water in the little dish. She drank it all just a foot from me.

My friend left us alone for a half hour. Maggie stopped panting and lay down and I watched her breathing return to normal.

The next day my friend brought her back to visit. Again she was panting from the car ride. After petting her a little we got a styrofoam cup filled with water. I held it and Maggie drank it all. I cried some more.

This neurotic little dog is bonded to me and I had questioned that all along.

I got sprung from hospital next day late. My friends brought Maggie home to me, putting her down on the kitchen floor. I said, let's go out, Maggie. She bounded for the door and then the most amazing thing. She did her happy dance and twirls that she only does in the morning and she WAGGED HER TAIL! Since having her in August 2009 she has never wagged her tail for me, only for other dogs. Wow, just wow.

Well, you all wanted updates. Couldn't be more pleased to oblige.

Hope all had a fine day.
Well, you never thought that would happen and then Pigs did fly, didn't they? Welcome back Kay and Maggie, I think about you so oftenWe all knew your fondest wish was for Maggie to bond with youAnd now that has happened...you made me cry reading this...but tears of happiness for you both! Maggie truly should be celebrating this day as her birthday for years to come..when she finally came out of her shell....I am so happy for you both!

Flynn, lady-in-waiting to Sir Winston and Lady Mia
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote