Dealing with strangers... - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
My little guy doesn't like foward, assertive ppl greetingi him, and he'll back up.

This turkey day and a week ago, it was my nephew's bday. my brother's FIL, he new gf, she's um, a little forward, to put it mildly. she really likes my ollie, but it's not reciprocated. she actually said to my dog, " get over here and say hi!!!". yeah, he didn't. and he walked away from her.

also, Ollie is really picky with treats and food. so I just tell ppl that. he has yet to actually eat a stranger's treat. he'll take it away from them, and promptly put it down on the ground and not eat it.

since my ollie works at a school, I tell the students to pet his body, b/c his head is so small, you get more surface area on the body. and the students are instructed not to pick him up, but you know, they can't resist. Ollie likes to play chase, so he just stays out of reach to keep the game of chase going. and if they do catch him, he is an awesome wiggler.

I would tell the humans to stay still, get low, and let your dog approach them.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
The only place I take Brody where he gets offered treats is the pet store. They only have high quality stuff so I don't worry about it. He never eats it though. He's really picky about his treats. I don't consider him a picky eater in general, but he's always been particular about his treats. I buy stuff that he SHOULD like and then he refuses to eat it.

When Brody meets new people he tends to go in either one of two directions...either he's all over them or he wants to peek out from between my feet and be more cautious. He does tend to be more cautious around children - he meets new people daily, but children less often. He's like that with other dogs sometimes too...he'll dart out and initiate play and then back off and go between my feet...then dart out again. I just try to go with the flow.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlogic View Post
Thanks Dave
And to all of you thanks so much for the great advice. Lucky is learning to stay on a very short lead when we're on a crowded sidewalk, but yesterday (i know Black Friday is not a good day to go for a walk with a dog on a shopping street) at one point, he seemed so overwhelmed by the loud music from a storefront, and people walking around him everywhere that I felt terrible for him (and like an awful parent) and I swept him up into my arms which seemed just what he wanted. BUT he now weighs about 22 pounds and I couldn't walk more than three feet with him that way (I know I should get in better shape) but he is so gracious that he obviously understood my dilemma and tried the brave walking thing again and it went well. I love hearing of your generous sharing of your Havs with the elderly etc. The smile that Lucky seems to draw from the face of folks walking in our direction makes me feel our work-outs are in some small way a gift to others. Thanks again for all the good insight et. al.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
1. It's normal right (seems to me) for him to be apprehensive with strangers on the street who want to reach out and pet him? He's not terrified; just careful I would say, and mostly there's not time to stop and take the time to warm up.

-I would just go on unless you want to visit with the people. I like a certain amount of this, like at the soccer group from my kids, and take time because I want Nina to have those experiences. But as for random people on the street it is kind of like with little kids. I would not want random people to interact and or touch my dog.

2. This is a big one: what do you do about the lovely shopkeepers who always have a treat for the dog? Is it safe to take them? It would certainly make Lucky more eager to go into stores (although he doesn't seem to mind it) and it feels rude to say no thanks, but with all the time I've taken finding the things that are safe for him to eat, a random Milkbone or whatever seems counter productive. My DH says it's silly and a puppy that can eat bully sticks will not be hurt by a dog cookie. He thinks I should leave it up to Lucky. What's your experience and what do you say to these kind folks?

-I do not want people to feed Nina things. She has set times she eats and I am picky on what she eats. I do not want to deal with runny stools or an upset tummy. If you are open to people giving treats I would bring my own treats that people can give and just tell them your dog has allergies and if they can be so kind to feed the that treat instead.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Pancreatitis, here we come!.
Karen - I thought a contributing factor to Pancreatitis was a fatty diet...

I would think doughnuts would contribute to diabetes...
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
Karen - I thought a contributing factor to Pancreatitis was a fatty diet...

I would think doughnuts would contribute to diabetes...
Donuts (at least the DD type) are about as fat-filled as you can get... leave one on paper towel for a few minutes! Of course the sugar is also too high for dogs
oR for people!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
sprorchid
Jacqueline

totally forgot, donuts are deep fried, my bad! and I was a chef in a former life, lol!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I don't feel one bit bad about telling people Tillie has allergies and can't have the treat they are offering... WE know our dogs best and what they need/don't need!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibides View Post
Hi all. Lucky is a country dog mostly but we also spend a lot of time in the city. He's happy in both places, but walking in the city is a bit overwhelming. When he was little, he was excited by all the people and pretty sure they were out there waiting to meet him. He was very friendly with anyone who stopped to say hello (and folks always do, or to ask what kind of dog he is, or to say he has a wonderful face that makes their day, etc. etc.-takes a long time to get around the block-we all know the scene). Sometimes a little child will want to pet him and sometimes that is okay but if they come on strong, he hides behind my legs. I have two questions for those of you with city Hav experience:

1. It's normal right (seems to me) for him to be apprehensive with strangers on the street who want to reach out and pet him? He's not terrified; just careful I would say, and mostly there's not time to stop and take the time to warm up.

2. This is a big one: what do you do about the lovely shopkeepers who always have a treat for the dog? Is it safe to take them? It would certainly make Lucky more eager to go into stores (although he doesn't seem to mind it) and it feels rude to say no thanks, but with all the time I've taken finding the things that are safe for him to eat, a random Milkbone or whatever seems counter productive. My DH says it's silly and a puppy that can eat bully sticks will not be hurt by a dog cookie. He thinks I should leave it up to Lucky. What's your experience and what do you say to these kind folks?

Interested in your experiences as usual. Many thanks.
I sometimes put the treat in my bag and give it later. My family yorkie never really wants treats. And her tummy doesn't seem to like them either But if we would take them home, she would have fun trying to bury them.

So I would recommend taking them home. If you decide it's not safe to eat, you could always leave it out for the birds.

Bama used to be skittish when we'd take her outside on a walk. She'd start shaking when trucks went by. I don't remember when or how she got over it. Maybe going to obedience class which was held in a parking lot outside the pet store.

We definitely run into the whole getting stopped because the dog is so cute thing. I usually pick her up so people can greet her. Usually in the neighborhood it's not such an issue...it's when we go to the outdoor shopping center. It's also such a crowded place and there's a trolley that when she was younger I would just carry her around.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Dave, you always have the greatest information to share! Thank you so much!

When we go to PetSmart, they always ask if they can have a treat. I always say, he won't eat it, he has better treats at home. Well......he does! I am just being honest.

Now, when people with kids normally want to come and pet the boys 98% of the time they ask permission first. Depending upon how the boys are acting will always depend on whether there is going to be a meet and greet. I know how to say, not today, they are not in a good mood.

I always have the boys come to the greeter, they are told NOT to pet the top of the head and let the boys smell their hands first.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote