Share Thread Tools Display Modes
thinking of keeping a pup
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
regalpeach
Shiraz & Bella's Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
thinking of keeping a pup

My 2 year old hav had pups 5 weeks ago, I am thinking of keeping one of the females. I would love to hear any feedback or experiences. I have only ever had one dog before. Will having her mom around make it easier to train the puppy?
regalpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think everyone on this forum whose dog's have pups are breeders who have a lot experience (first owning/showing dogs before breeding) then do a lot of health testing, and plan their litters very carefully. The rest of us mostly purchased our Havs from these reputable breeders with spay/neuter contracts or adopted from a rescue that has a spay/neuter policy. So it's unlikely anyone's been in your position, from what I gather in your post (only having 1 dog before). That said, many people do bring second Havs into their households and mileage varies as for ease or compounded chaos. There are definitely a few threads that touch on this.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't think, for the most part, it will be much easier to train, however, if like mine (when I keep a pup), after the sweet puppy stage is over, the mother dog still disciplines them on behavior she doesn't like.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
regalpeach
Shiraz & Bella's Mom

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowe'sgirl View Post
I think everyone on this forum whose dog's have pups are breeders who have a lot experience (first owning/showing dogs before breeding) then do a lot of health testing, and plan their litters very carefully. The rest of us mostly purchased our Havs from these reputable breeders with spay/neuter contracts or adopted from a rescue that has a spay/neuter policy. So it's unlikely anyone's been in your position, from what I gather in your post (only having 1 dog before). That said, many people do bring second Havs into their households and mileage varies as for ease or compounded chaos. There are definitely a few threads that touch on this.
Thanks, I should have mentioned that I have a contract for my dog with the breeder, so this pup will be the breeders pick, and will also be one they will want to breed in the future. Just thought I'd see how other people find having a mother and her pup toghetherr. It has been years since I have raised a puppy. My dog was already a year old when I got her.

Last edited by regalpeach; 11-25-2012 at 07:03 PM.
regalpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah thanks for clarifying. But still, there are few in your position - most with mum & pup combos have >4 Havs running around their home .
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote