First accident - what to do? abit freaked out. - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
First accident - what to do? abit freaked out.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Charleysmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
First accident - what to do? abit freaked out.

Charley had his first accident on my carpet just ten minutes ago. I don't udnerstand it. I've had him since March - he's never had an accident on the carpet. I'm so upset and worried that it will happen again. I immediately used icky poo on it. I yelled at him and know that I shouldn't have. It wasn't a horiible yell - "what did you do??? bad boy! and I brought him downstairs to his litter pan. he knows something is up.

I felt so comfortable knowing he had never had an acciddent on the floor. I know you're porbably saying - geez. they all do. But it's been 8 months since I've had him and this is the first time.

Ughhhh!!! What do I do? How do I be sure it doesn't happen again? He's litter pan trained although he goes outside at least 95% of the time. Rarely uses his litter box. Our routine was the same. He went out tonight at 7:00. No water after. Time upstairs hanging and playing. And 9:40 there it was.

How do I be sure this doesn't become a habit? Once is an accident - more than once is a habit.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
One-Don't stress out-it could have happened for any number of reasons. He could have been playing and the time slipped by-I sometimes think they are like little kids-and get to playing so hard they forget about the potty till it's too late to get to the box or outside. Just watch him & if necessary take him out more often or down to his litter box.
We have all had the "kids" regress at times-when it happens we just start back a square one-but maybe this is just a one time accident.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
the past few weeks have been hard around here also.... Tillie had a few pee "accidents" (not accidents, totally on purpose, I'm sure of). Anyway, turns out she had crystals in her urine. I know your situation is different, but, for my own peace of mind I chose to treat it like a slip up in potty training and gated off the hallway that leads to the bedrooms. Just to prevent it from happening again and becoming something she thought was okay.
Just a thought, maybe you can gate off part of the house? and keep a real close eye on him for awhile...?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Charleysmom

I will do that. Fact is, today it was very wet, slurpy, snowy, rainy, cold and yucky. I just bathed him two days ago, he was lookin' so beautiful and I didn't want him getting all sloppy. So...I didn't take him out as much. Ugggh!!

I will go back to limiting his free time to one hour after being empty. I'll take him out more frequently. Maybe he was was feeling out of routine?

It's just sooooo out of character for Charley. I was 100% certain he knew inside was not for potty. It was so great to feel that confidence. Now I feel uncertain but I'll just have to change things up a bit.

One thing that was different - yesterday Charley had a big bully stick. He chomped that thing right down. Boy is he a chewer. He hadn't had one for months. Anway, this morning he didn't do his usual poop but tonight his poop was so super large - no kidding. Maybe it (the bully stick) affected his bladder too? Is that possible?

Also, when the weather is bad and we're not out as much he does get super restless. I try to play with him alot indoors but he does get a bit nutsy. Maybe that contributed too?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleysmom View Post
I will do that. Fact is, today it was very wet, slurpy, snowy, rainy, cold and yucky. I just bathed him two days ago, he was lookin' so beautiful and I didn't want him getting all sloppy. So...I didn't take him out as much. Ugggh!!
You have your answer there. Maybe you didn't get to his favorite pee spot or he thought he had more time. It's not a big deal.

I remember Marlowe's last accident. He was basically accident free after the 5.5 month mark. But at 11 months, the weather got bad (he's a January baby) and so we did a very abbreviated walk before bed. I thought he did his business. While we were in the midst of our pre bed/on the bed playtime (always ~10 mins just to get the last bit of energy out), he suddenly paused and peed - in the middle of the bed while I was watching!! I think he was as surprised as me. He knows how to signal to go out etc. Sigh. It was a one time event. Just a weird out of routine accident.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have "oldster" here and even though they have been potty trained for Years there are still days they have "accidents". If it's raining outside you can be sure my one will NOT Go out-I have hardwood floors and pee pads down. My foster is getting older and I am sure there will be potty problems due to her advanced age-I just don't let it bother me-It all comes with the joy & love they give me each day.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
oops, an accident. Henry was not fully reliable until just over a year old.
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Charleysmom

thanks for your replies. Going forward I will get Charley back into a his routine so that he knows like clockwork when he will go out. The weather made me get sloppy and I was worried about him getting all sloppy outside.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Brody went through a short regression phase...I want to say he was around 10 months or a year, but I can't remember for sure...once he peed right in front of me on the carpet...and a couple of time he went to his Ugodog and then went right next to it! I remember thinking, "what on earth is he thinking!!??!!" Thankfully it was a very short thing and he's been really reliable ever since.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have an olderster also, I have found he is very much about the routine, we have a dog door but it has become hard for him to climb the stairs, he has learned in old age to ring the bells, but if I miss his 10:00 pm poop break he will walk in the kitchen and go, also last night I gave him his 10:00 treat did not take him out, thinking he would not go as he went out 15 mins earlier with the others...while I was cleaning up, he pooped on the kitchen floor, young dogs can be affected by a change in routine and now I find the older guys are even more affected. My girl Misty was three when we got her she was not soild until a year...no accidents just could not trust her and I had to always watch her body language. For Charley it may be the change in routine with the weather and time change.