New Hav parent.. - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvonS View Post
Years ago we got an Entlebucher Sennenhund from a breeder in Canada. He came to us at 10 weeks and was already neutered. I was told that was the practice in Canada???? I took Lily at 9 months, just before her first heat.
Here is a link to a group in Canada
http://www.havanesefanciers.com/early_spay_neuter
That article is written by Brody's breeder. I'd seen it before I got him and so I asked her if she advocated early neuter and she said no and had no problem with me waiting til 7 months to get it done. I forgot to actually ask her why she wrote that article!

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Only on Canada you say?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Only on Canada you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvonS View Post
Years ago we got an Entlebucher Sennenhund from a breeder in Canada. He came to us at 10 weeks and was already neutered. I was told that was the practice in Canada???? I took Lily at 9 months, just before her first heat.
Here is a link to a group in Canada
http://www.havanesefanciers.com/early_spay_neuter
I had never heard of the early spay/ neuter until you posted this link. My breeder wants me to wait as close to a year as possible. Ted is now 7 months and tempting his fate daily I really don't think that because the Havanese Fanciers say so, that it is so! My Vet agrees with the waiting until they are older too. He wanted Ted to be at least 6 months if possible, and yes we are in Canada!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
NvonS

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was shocked that he was "done" at such an early age. The breed was very rare back then and I thought it might be a way to prevent buyers from breeding them. IDK if breeding contracts where the norm back then.
Lily was much more age appropriate when I had her neutered. I can't imagine how difficult it was to keep the mom from cleaning the site.
As veterinary practices change I am sure we will see new schools of thought about a lot of things. It's nice to have this forum of knowledgeable folks to talk to.
NvonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
JacksonsMom
Newbie 1112

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Idk it's just weird to me... Jackson is only 3 months and it was done b4 I purchased him. I thought that would be my option.. When I took him to the vet she says it may have to do with an irregular testicle ??? Like what? What she was saying really sound like she had no explanation to why at all.. She just talked over all of my questions... Will not be going back there..
JacksonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstray View Post
That article is written by Brody's breeder. I'd seen it before I got him and so I asked her if she advocated early neuter and she said no and had no problem with me waiting til 7 months to get it done. I forgot to actually ask her why she wrote that article!
It seemed pretty clear in the article that she didn't advocate early spay/neuter as a routine practice, but that in some, specialized circumstances, it COULD be done without harm to the puppy. Also, the site is quite old, and I know that the research suggesting that it is better to delay spay/neuter until maturity is fairly recent. She may have changed her thinking since she wrote the article.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Idk it's just weird to me... Jackson is only 3 months and it was done b4 I purchased him. I thought that would be my option.. When I took him to the vet she says it may have to do with an irregular testicle ??? Like what? What she was saying really sound like she had no explanation to why at all.. She just talked over all of my questions... Will not be going back there..
Did you talk to the breeder about it or just the vet?

It IS common for the breeder to write into the contract that you must have the pup neutered/spayed by a certain age. (although this can often be negotiated if it's for a good reason) If the pup had an irregular testicle, or a hernia, and needed surgery at that young age, I would at least have wanted the breeder to tell me that, explain what was done and why. It probably makes NO difference in terms of his pet quality, but I'd want to know, in the interest of full disclosure.

I'd call the breeder and chat about it if you haven't already. No need to be confrontational, just say you'd like to understand why she chose to neuter so early.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
In some places the law is four months. At least here...you have to get a dog license at four months and unless you fill out specific paperwork (due to being a breeder or dog health issue letter from vet) you are required to provide proof of spaying/neutering.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokpup View Post
In some places the law is four months. At least here...you have to get a dog license at four months and unless you fill out specific paperwork (due to being a breeder or dog health issue letter from vet) you are required to provide proof of spaying/neutering.
Where are you? That's somewhere I WOULDN'T want to live! Absolutely ridiculous!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokpup View Post
Where are you? That's somewhere I WOULDN'T want to live! Absolutely ridiculous! OTOH, I suppose that you could make a case for any puppy that it is a "health issue", because that is really too young to neuter except in unusual circumstances.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 14 Posts
My understanding was that there are needed hormones that can effect teeth and stuff if done too early. Males I believe are recommended to be a minimum of 6 months and females a bit later. The longer you can wait till they hit the 1 year mark the better I have heard. I had Quincy neutered at around 6 months. Some males wouldn't even have their testicles dropped yet at such young ages (10-12 weeks?)

"Behind every unstable dog is a lesson for the owner"-Cesar Millan
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote