Grooming tools ? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Sonic and Aries

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my CC #05 buttercomb and wood pin brush! The dogs really seemed to enjoy getting brushed by either (until one time when I accidentally left the wood pin brush down where Sonic could get it and he showed me what he really thought of it by chewing it!!). I tried to post a picture of the "aftermath" but it wouldn't work, I'll have to try to get on the computer and do it when I get home . I'm debating purchasing a new one because it really worked wonders on both their coats, but the buttercomb has been my best brush lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Sonic and Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Karen . . .if you live in a low humidity area of CO . . .you might find the metal pin brush is very staticky . . .at least, that's my experience here in West Texas. I've found using the metal one to cause us both static issues, to the point it hurts sometimes. We both love her wood pin brush . . .but I mostly use it when blowing out her coat after a bath. I think the wood pin brush is less likely to break down her fur.

I have the numbers 004, 005, 006, 011 and 014. I rarely ever use the 014 (bought it before finding this forum). But I couldn't live without my 005 and 011 for mats.

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
Karen . . .if you live in a low humidity area of CO . . .you might find the metal pin brush is very staticky . . .at least, that's my experience here in West Texas. I've found using the metal one to cause us both static issues, to the point it hurts sometimes. We both love her wood pin brush . . .but I mostly use it when blowing out her coat after a bath. I think the wood pin brush is less likely to break down her fur.

I have the numbers 004, 005, 006, 011 and 014. I rarely ever use the 014 (bought it before finding this forum). But I couldn't live without my 005 and 011 for mats.
Do you mist her coat before grooming? I never brush (or comb) Kodi dry. I usually use a 1-10 dilution of his regular conditioner as a grooming spray, but I alternate that with CC's Ice on Ice a couple of times per week.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Do you mist her coat before grooming? I never brush (or comb) Kodi dry. I usually use a 1-10 dilution of his regular conditioner as a grooming spray, but I alternate that with CC's Ice on Ice a couple of times per week.
You ALTERNATE it with Ice on Ice a couple times a week?! Now I really feel like a bad hav momma! I comb Cey out maybe once a week total...! (sometimes, less!!! sigh...)
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Yes . . .i use both diluted conditioner and Ice on Ice. However, I may be to sparing with it since I'm fearful the moisture may tighten any mats she might have before I start. Guess I'm still a little gun shy after blowing coat went South LOL

Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherk View Post
You ALTERNATE it with Ice on Ice a couple times a week?! Now I really feel like a bad hav momma! I comb Cey out maybe once a week total...! (sometimes, less!!! sigh...)
How old is Cey? Maybe Cey is more silky than Isabella . . .but if I brushed her only once a week, she'd be an outright mess LOL

Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherk View Post
OH my GOSH, you are blessed... lol I am at the point where I CAN and sometimes do skip a day here or there, but for the most part fully comb Tillie out every.day. Otherwise she looks like something the cats drug in!!
oh and I too use her conditoner, diluted a lot as her grooming spray...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic and Aries View Post
I love my CC #05 buttercomb and wood pin brush! The dogs really seemed to enjoy getting brushed by either (until one time when I accidentally left the wood pin brush down where Sonic could get it and he showed me what he really thought of it by chewing it!!). I tried to post a picture of the "aftermath" but it wouldn't work, I'll have to try to get on the computer and do it when I get home . I'm debating purchasing a new one because it really worked wonders on both their coats, but the buttercomb has been my best brush lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bama will try to attack her brushes. And when I've got the comb and brush out she will go after which ever one I'm not using. She thinks everything is a chew toy. The other day she got her new pin brush off the coffee table and was dragging it around by the little rope handle. (One of those bamboo brushes that you hold in the palm of your hand-doesn't have actual handle).
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
How old is Cey? Maybe Cey is more silky than Isabella . . .but if I brushed her only once a week, she'd be an outright mess LOL
Cey turns 2 this month. I've had my ups and downs keeping him brushed but the worst was almost a year ago at Christmas, when I put a cute Christmas sweater on him and kept it on him for a couple of days - he was matted from head to tail. Looking back, he probably was 'blowing coat' then, but except for the Christmas sweater experience it never was so bad that I actually noticed it. Now, he is very easy to take care of - but he still sheds quite a bit, as he always has, so I have that to deal with instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
OH my GOSH, you are blessed... lol I am at the point where I CAN and sometimes do skip a day here or there, but for the most part fully comb Tillie out every.day. Otherwise she looks like something the cats drug in!!
oh and I too use her conditoner, diluted a lot as her grooming spray...
Cey gets those infernal tiny matts around his privates & belly, and sometimes his armpits no matter how often I comb him out. Other than that, his feet and behind his ears and sometimes his chest get a tiny bit tangled by the time I get around to grooming him, but it's nothing major. Or at least, he tolerates it good-naturedly and I am so relieved not to have the Christmas sweater experience ever again that I don't mind I know that I probably should groom twice a week anyway... he gets baths at least that often, as his long hair tends to pick up smellies from outside and I can't stand that, but I never comb on the same day I bathe, since he tolerates, but doesn't especially love, either of those activities .
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
grooming tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
KarenL

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
grooming tools

Thanks for everyone's, input...think I will start with purchase of a CC 05 buttercomb..Rico actually likes the cheap pinbrush that I have..but.. know we are approaching that blowing the coat age! So want to be prepared. What about harnesses...I know these tend to mat hair more..any certain brands or types that do it less? Thanks again everyone for the info...BTW.... your dog pics are beautiful! .......Karen and Rico.
KarenL is offline   Reply With Quote