Tail Wagging, meaning? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Tail Wagging, meaning?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Izzy-bella

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Tail Wagging, meaning?

Does your little one's tails wag?
Does this mean they are happy and/or excited?
Sad or depressed if not?

Our two are so different in this respect. The 10 month old little tail goes non stop and the other wags hers only once in a while, she is two and half. Maybe it is just the age thing? But I don't really remember the older one wagging hers ALL the time.

I was just wondering...hate to think that the older one is not as happy as the little one.

Estelle and the Bella Sisters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haircut 019.JPG (123.3 KB, 3 views)
Izzy-bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
luv3havs
Chico and Cali

Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chico, my eight year old dog, wags his tail a lot more than the other two. I think it is individual. With Chico, I just have to look at him and he wags his tail. Finnegan wags his, but a little less. Cali doesn't wag hers a lot, but she really means it, when she does. They all seem equally happy and content.

By the way, your puppies are sooo cute! Love their coloring and expressions. Nice grooming too.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
hi Estelle. Here is a previous post of mine on tail wagging. Your pup is more likely to wag simply because he is more excitable at that age.

Ever wonder why dogs wag their tails. I love watching tails. (talking literally here) . And I really think our bushy haired curly tailed Hav's are a little harder to read than a typical shorthaired dog. I think the Beagle has the best tail ,with it's usually tipped white end. And different breeds carry their tails differently. But just like any calming signal ,tail wagging serves a purpose. We can gather lots from this little appendage. And one must be aware , not all tail wagging means the dog is happy. Lots of people have been bitten by a tail waggin dog. Being different breeds carry their tails differently, it's important to be familiar with this to a degree.
THe height of the tail generally means the following. A medium height or closer to horizontal tail wag indicates an attentive calm dog. The higher the tail is wagging,ie closer to verticle, it means the dog is becoming more uneasy and possibly threatening/assertive. As the tail moves to a lower position it indicates the dog is more submissive and appeasing.
The frequency of the tail repetitions is also another barometer on how the dog is feeling. The faster the tail is wagging the higher level of excitement. The applitude ie the distance from it's furthest left to its furthest right positions tells whether the dog is happy or uncertain. The broader the wag, the more happy the dog. The short vibrating type wags the more unpredictable the dog. The combination of a high vibrating type wag, means beware.
A recent study is really interesting and is based on the same principles as the human brain. It's studies show when dogs feel generally positive about something or someone, their tails wag more to the right side of their rear ends, and when they have negative feelings, their tail wagging is biased to the left. How cool is that? Same sort of stuff that show in human brains how certain emotions are controlled by different sides of the brain.

So watch those tails and let your dogs wag their tails. Let's not let the tail wag the dog. LOL
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
My two boys were totally different in tail wagging. Bailey hardly ever wagged his tail and Tyler wags his whenever you look at him or, when his hearing was intact, whenever you spoke to him.
BTW, the girls look beautiful, including their grooming. Tyler was clipped again yesterday (every six weeks) and I told his groomer, Shauna, how famous she now is thanks to the forum.
Aso, I sent you another PM, Estelle, after your response. Check to see if you got it.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Tillie typically wags her hind end off when she is greeting us in the morning, upon our return home, when she first greets our cats or if someone comes to visit... she does much smaller/shorter tail wags when I talk to her or she is playing with a toy.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Izzy-bella

So interesting....Dave you are just wealth of knowledge....are you as smart about human behavior?? It is a wonder what I have learned on this forum...thanks to all again.

Thanks also for the compliments about the girls, they are Sooooo cute..not that I am prejudice or anything. Their wonderful haircuts are do to Mary and sweet little Tyler, well per their groomers instructions and tyler's pictures.
Mary will go read my message.

Have a great evening everyone"... Estelle and the Bella sisters
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Izzy-bella

Dave I am going to print out your reply...have had this discission with many a friend.
They will be interested .... And I am going to take note of my tail waggers!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Izzy-bella

Mary...no PM unless I am looking in the wrong place....when did you send it?
Estelle
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
sandypaws

Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
It was either yesterday or the day before. Don't know where it went. It's out there in cyberspace somewhere, I guess. I'll try again later.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I just saw a research study on tail wagging. no joke. It was on the UK TV servies, extraordinary dogs. it's the science of how dogs commuicate via tail wagging. I can't remember now, but wagging to the left is 'friendly' (middle of the body and to the left), and to the right, it's not friendly.

when you come home next time see which way your pups tail is wagging, and it'll confirm it.

My anatolians carry their tails low when relaxed, and high (over the back) when fully on alert, might be postivie energy and might not be, and also, their tails may be held at 1/2 mast, for the inbetween alert.

I see this also in my 1/2 hav. anyway it is interesting.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote