Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Crate training - am I doing this right?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Crate training - am I doing this right?

Hi all,

I would appreciate any feedback on this...

My husband and I got our puppy a couple of days ago. We are trying to crate train him and have him sleep in his crate.

We have had two nights with him, the first night we did not hear a peep all night (not even for a toilet break) however last night he was much more restless.

He was fairly warn out last night and started falling asleep while we were watching TV at around 9pm. Then I got him up and called him to his crate - he was fine and went off to sleep (as he did the previous night). Then at around 11:30 pm he woke up crying. I took him out to go potty just in case that was the issue as it wasn't I put him back in his crate. He was then not settling at all. It took probably an hour until he went back to sleep. A couple of times my husband told him to be quiet as we were getting concerned for our neighbours however when we just ignored him he seemed to settle about 10 min after. (I am not sure if this is just because he was worn out or because we were ignoring him).

He seems to not LOVE his crate just yet, he will happy follow a toy I throw in or treat and is content however as soon as he notices I lock the crate it starts. Its not too bad in my presence but this morning as I went for a shower - well what a big cry he had!

My question is really around the type of crate we are using as I am wondering if a smaller (travel size) crate would be better at settling him as the one he is in is a large wire and big enough that he can stand up in it. (it is probably 1m wide, 70cm high and 60cm deep so quite a large rectangle. on the floor of it we have a bed that fits in quite nicely and ontop of that I usually leave a few scattered toys and his blanket on top.

If you have any thoughts please let me know... should his crate be a smaller size so he has less room? Or is it just this behaviour is normal in the first few days of being in his new environment with out his Mum and sibblings?

Our pup Doug is 10 weeks old.

I have included one photo of him in his crate (although you can't see its full size here) and another of him lazing on the tiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dougie2 27Nov2012.jpg (3.43 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Dougie 27Nov2012.jpg (2.94 MB, 7 views)
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! Looks like he's going to be a big guy!!

As for crate training, where do you have his crate set up at night?? Near your bed?
When I brought my hav home she whimpered a bit at first, but I calmly clapped my hands to startle her and she quited right down. never a sound since. unless she is sick at night.
I don't know that this works for everyone but it sure worked for us...
Also, if his crate is close enough you can put your fingers through the wires so he can lick/sniff your hands so he KNOWS you are right there with him.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Susan0406
New to Havanese's

Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can offer no advice as my pup hated the crate so much that I had to give up on it and move to an expen, but I did want to tell you that Doug is so so cute!
Susan0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Tia

Thanks for the feedback. The first night we had him in the laundry and he was not fussed at all - i think he was just too exhausted from all of the days events last night because he wasn't as relaxed we had him just outside our bedroom with the door open - I did do the hands in the crate thing so he could lick and sniff. I think that helped somewhat in making him quiet also made him wimper even more. I will see how we go tonight. I might try him next to our bed and see if that relaxes him. Hopefully his anxiety isn't a long term and just an adjustment thing as it is hard to see him so upset.

He tends to look really big in photos!!! I am not sure if it is just that he is a big boy or if he just photographs big lol here is another for perspective lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doug.jpg (542.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
TilliesMom

awwwwww, he is ADORABLE! how much does he weigh?

I would think putting him IN your room, next to your bed would be the best option. Where do you want him to sleep long term??
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Tia

Ok thanks. Will try that tonight. I think in the long term probably in his own space in the laundry.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Lola :)

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
he is SOOO cute! Congrats!! I hope the crate training gets better, it sounds like you're doing a good job!
Tia (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Doug is adorable. My input would be that if you bring his crate in your room, he will not sleep somewhere else after that. Choose a room and stick to it. Expect to be sleep deprived the first few weeks. Doug has to adjust and his bladder is still tiny. I had Teds crate in a pen and a peeped for him in case. He only ever used it a couple times. Ted slept through the night after the first night but was up at 5:30 am to pee. Gradually over the week after the wake up time got later and later so that now I wake him up at 7am to start out day
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
awwwwww, he is ADORABLE! how much does he weigh?

I would think putting him IN your room, next to your bed would be the best option. Where do you want him to sleep long term??
I forgot to add that he is 2.4kg.

Tianna & Doug
Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
I forgot to add that he is 2.4kg.
ya, so he's going to be a healthy size little guy!!
Tia (11-29-2012)

Tags
crate, crying, seperation anxiety, training