Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Housebreaking regression after neuter
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Housebreaking regression after neuter

As everyone knows, Oscar was neutered last Tuesday. Since he came home, he has been having a lot of accidents. We went back to basics and he is tethered to me when home, in a crate or an ex-pen when he isn't, or outside on a leash. Guess what? He doesn't care. He peed on the floor yesterday WHILE tethered to me less than an hour after peeing outside. He also ran into the house yesterday after pooping outside and my husband accidentally dropped the leash- well, he ran over to his bed and pooped in it. I know there are a ton of threads about all of this, and that people say he will get it again, but does it start slowly? Or does it one day click again? It has been over a week with ZERO success. We are extrememly diligent and take him out every hour during the day. He is 6.5 months old now and it still isn't helping. He has peed in 2 of 4 beds, on 3 different toys and my floors (including the new hardwood that was installed 2 weeks ago in the family room). The vet says there is nothing medically wrong and that it will come back to him but I don't see any progress. Any ideas?
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Whether there is anything medically "wrong" with him or not, I would strongly suspect that either something is still uncomfortable, or WAS uncomfortable enough to interrupt his house training. Regardless of the reason (which you may never know for sure) the answer is always the same. Confine more closely and watch more diligently until you are SURE they are handling things in the more confined situation, then slowly expand territory and freedom. According to what you've said, he's had at least 6 pee accidents and a poop accident in the last week. That's a LOT of accidents, and it's going to take many TIMES that many successes (with TONS of praise!!!) before you should start to trust him again.

Last edited by krandall; 11-29-2012 at 11:54 AM.
krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Buzzys Mom

Thanks Karen- just a quick update. We were both out of the house yesterday afternoon for about 4 hours. He went in to the crate, and my FIL came over and took him out 2 hours in to it (clean crate), and put him back in his ex-pen. When I came home 2 hours after that, the ex-pen was clean and he pottied outside He was really good all night- I kept him ojn a leash and at one point, I let the leash go and he went tot he back door like he used to before neutering to go out- and he peed this time. After that I went upstairs, took a shower (had him in the bathroom with me), and put him in the pen upstairs while I got dressed, and guess what? He peed on the bed in there AGAIN- second night in a row! I think it's the texture of the bed so I washed it and I will put it away until we know he is reliable again. Hopefully not for long, since that wasn't even his bed- it's Buzzy's bed!!!I think in a few more days we will be back on track. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Buzzys Mom

OK, another quick update- it looks like whatever it was clicked with Oscar again. My husband just called me all excited because he was upstairs with the dogs, adn OScar stopped paying and ran downstairs. My hubby followed him and he was at the back door sitting very nicely. My hubby let him out and he peed! I am not 100% confident in him YET, but it looks like we are back in business!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
apololaceymom

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh goodness, that is good news. Blaze was neutered today, he has been doing great with housebreaking lately, but was a challenge for a while.. He never pees in beds, and never in his crate. He does great for long stretches. His accidents are usually poop, and usually my lapse in watching him close enough. We gate him where we can see him, and he is not allowed upstairs. (his favorite place to poop). I am going now to pick him up at the vet. Glad I read this, will take EXTRA care to watch him close!!!!
Belamour Blaze Of Glory

apololaceymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Buzzys Mom

Good luck with Blaze- he is so cute! It was definitely a rough week while he was doing this, but it really was like a light switch flipped back on. Keep me posted
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yay for Oscar maybe the little regression was just a little payback for the snip LOL. Glad to hear he's back on the right track. It's gotta be traumatic for the little guys. Did Buzzy react when Oscar had the accidents?

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Buzzys Mom

Nope, Buzzy could care less. He would never even dream of having an accident inside. If he has an upset stomach, he will wake us up at night (like last night) or tell us somehow and do whatever he can to hold it. He has even learned to throw up in the bathtub since that's where I used to run with him when he would get sick! Now if he could only tell us when he does that, we won't have any surprises!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzys Mom View Post
He has even learned to throw up in the bathtub since that's where I used to run with him when he would get sick! Now if he could only tell us when he does that, we won't have any surprises!
Haha...mine thinks when he needs to throw up he needs to climb up somewhere and hang his head over the edge and let gravity help! Ugh.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Buzzys Mom

LOL- that visual made me laugh. I am picturing your pup all hungover with his sunglasses on hanging his head over the couch into a garbage can.