Crate training - am I doing this right? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks lise. We did end up keeping him in the laundry last night night for that reason (we don't want to create any habits). He was crying for a little bit (maybe 10 min) but wasn't barking which was good. He slept through until 530 this morning when he woke to go potty then my husband who got up with him was laying on the lounge and he laid down beside and they both had a little snooze (he loves laying near us on the lounges so long as its not in his crate lol). So a good night, hopefully it continues. I think it will still take a little while for him to get used to his crate during the day and he has caught on to our methods of trying to coax him in there where possible with a treat or toy rather than put him in there.

Yesterday afternoon after he had a wee and play I put him back in the crate and he barked like crazy. I can't get over how much noise comes out of such a small dog.

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
No advice on the crate training as I haven't had to worry about that for years but wanted to add my welcome to the forum and say how adorable Doug is. You have lots of enjoyment ahead of you.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates sandypaws Great Photo:
Tia (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
One of the best methods I've ever seen for teaching a dog to love his/her crate is Susan Garrett's "Crate Games". I highly recommend this DVD. It is worth every penny.

We started Kodi with Crate games the winter he was 6-8 months old. We can say "get in your crate!" from anywhere in the house and he goes BLASTING into his crate. In fact, for a while, at agility class, we had to pick it up off the floor and turn it around any time he was running a course, because if he saw it while he was on course he'd make a bee-line into it!

He loves BEING in his crate too... it's his "safe" place. it's where he WANTS to be, both at night and when we are out of the house. If we don't put him to bed "on time" he will come and ask us to put him to bed.

All of this is a result of the work we did with crate games... and it's a fun winter activity too!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Becky Chittenden

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Doug is really cute. I've had no problem with crate training, but almost all my dogs were born here, or the breeders had them in crates before I got here. The one thing you need to know is only crate them when necessary (when you can't watch them or at night). Alot of the time you need to have the crate on a table or chair next to your bed where they can see you and you can put a finger in to calm them. It doesn't take long.
Tia (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Susan Garrett's "Crate Games". I highly recommend this DVD. .
Thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out.

All the feedback has been so helpful.
Ill continue to be mindful on how we use the crate. Hopefully he grows to enjoy it as his little place to chill out. At the moment I think he just loves laying sprawled out on our tiles with his head wedged against the coffee table. It's quite a funny sight.

Tianna & Doug
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
yabooklady

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! Doug is soooo cute! I think you should get a dog crate that doesn't have bars...one that is designed more for travel. I have a 14 week old Havanese and while she is my first Hav, she isn't my first puppy or dog. My mother-in-law used to have/raise Scottish Terriers and she taught me long ago that those wire crates worked contradictory to what they were intended to do - provide a safe place for the dog to hide and relax. She always felt that the wire cages made them feel exposed and vulnerable...they can't hide with only wires! Anyway, get a travel crate and see what happens. He isn't going to be happy (initially) going into the crate, but as long as you know he doesn't have to go to the bathroom, give him some treats and toys, put him in and be done with it. He's going to get upset...I recommend leaving the room, after a few minutes he will stop (at least that is my experience)...Molly will continue to whine if she knows I'm in the room because she knows I can't resist her whimpering! Good luck!
yabooklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
we have always used a wire crate with our hav, BUT we have it in our closet area and the back and all sides are covered with a towel, so she feels cozy. I agree having the wire crate without having it covered may not be the most cozy, den like feeling for them.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabooklady View Post
Hello! Doug is soooo cute! I think you should get a dog crate that doesn't have bars...one that is designed more for travel. I have a 14 week old Havanese and while she is my first Hav, she isn't my first puppy or dog. My mother-in-law used to have/raise Scottish Terriers and she taught me long ago that those wire crates worked contradictory to what they were intended to do - provide a safe place for the dog to hide and relax. She always felt that the wire cages made them feel exposed and vulnerable...they can't hide with only wires! Anyway, get a travel crate and see what happens.
I agree completely that some dogs prefer enclosed, plastic "travel" type crates better. We thought we were being "nice" getting Kodi a large wire crate to sleep in at night. We even covered it with a sheet to make it feel "cozy". He always clearly prefered his much smaller plastic crates. We finally gave up, and let him use just the plastic crates. He sleeps longer and more soundly in the small cozy crate.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
Tia

Thanks for everyone's advice. Doug is progressing really well with his crate training.

We have left him in the laundry and he has been sleeping though the night waking up about 530 am. He cries but of a morning when we put him back in his crate after ping potty however settles eventually.

During the days he has been much more comfortable being placed in his crate.

Today we added a sheet around the crate I crate the more enclosed den atmosphere.

Tonight he was laying by our lounge on the tiles and all if a sudden he was gone. After some brief searching and much to our amazement he had gone into his crate for bed.

Tianna & Doug
Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice. Doug is progressing really well with his crate training.

We have left him in the laundry and he has been sleeping though the night waking up about 530 am. He cries but of a morning when we put him back in his crate after ping potty however settles eventually.

During the days he has been much more comfortable being placed in his crate.

Today we added a sheet around the crate I crate the more enclosed den atmosphere.

Tonight he was laying by our lounge on the tiles and all if a sudden he was gone. After some brief searching and much to our amazement he had gone into his crate for bed.
Excellent job. I love how Doug picked the same hour as Ted to get up. He will gradually over the next couple weeks add minutes to that wake up time until he ends up sleeping in past you!

Tags
crate, crying, seperation anxiety, training