Need some advice on chew sticks.. - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #31
queryne

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Update: all of a sudden he's fallen in love with Himalayan Chews!! Go figure.. I'm pretty happy about it! Still no luck on the Nylabones but no complaints here.. He seems to like elk antlers... Interested to see how he feels about the moose variety!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
queryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #32
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
My little guy has no interest in his nylabones either. I will pick them up for a month or so and try again later.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
queryne

Are you kidding? Now that I've learned that I can reintroduce some things I feel like I'm on to something. He literally seemed repulsed by the Himalayan chews at first! Haha!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
Sparkle

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kallie didn't like her Nylabones or Kongs either when she was little. She did like her hollow sterilized bone that I'd stuff w/peanut butter on each end. Then she started liking the deer antlers. Chewed one down til it was so small I had to take it away from her. Now she's 7 months & has all of a sudden taken a liking to the Nylabones. She dug one out of her toy basket the other night & has played with/chewed on it for the past few evenings. Kong also had a type of hollow cylinder thing that I put peanut butter in. She likes that too. Thru loosing the baby teeth stage, she became quite a toy chewer. Boy the others on the forum were right. They need to learn to become chewaholics with their toys. She's never chewed on anything else - furniture, woodwork, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #35
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

When the Himalayan chews get on the small side, pop them into the microwave. I don't remember how long I put them in there, but they puff up and make a yummy little cheesy treat. I think there's a video on their website about it too. Or there's a video somewhere that I saw with the tip. I worry when they get too small, so at least it doesn't go to waste when you puff it up
Obviously, make sure they're completely cooled down before serving
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #36
queryne

Sparkle: here's to hoping he one day all of a sudden falls in love with Nylabones.. He's got a bacon flavored one for goddsakes.. who doesn't like bacon???? LOL..

Dory: Yeah i heard about this microwave tip. I'm going to try it when it gets smaller.. He's def made some headway with it. Looking forward to seeing what it's going to look like.. I'm gonna Google that video.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #37
queryne

Here's a link to that Himalayan Chew microwave video just in case anyone is looking for it:

chew toys
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #38
KarenL

Cool chew toys

Rico loves the hooves too...didn't know that there were smoked ones that smell better. Will have to look for them! How do you take such a great pic of your black faced dog? I really have difficulty seeing his eyes on photos... or; his eyes are scary glowing from a flash!
KarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #39
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenL View Post
Rico loves the hooves too...didn't know that there were smoked ones that smell better. Will have to look for them! How do you take such a great pic of your black faced dog? I really have difficulty seeing his eyes on photos... or; his eyes are scary glowing from a flash!
I can't answer for little Rico's pic . . .but the glowing eyes are caused by the flash being too close to the camera lens. Try turning the flash off and photographing in natural light. If you need more light than that, you can make a reflector by covering cardboard with foil and having someone reflect natural light back into his face (from the floor).

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #40
queryne

A friend of mine is a budding photographer. She's got a great SLR camera.. Like ClaireVoyant said... the key is definitely using natural light rather than flash. I've tried to take pics with my camera phone and it's impossible unfortunately.