Reading... - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
clare
Gigi

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
I too am an avid reader,just trying to think of American authors that I particularly enjoy,oh yes I have read all of Harlam Coben's books his stand alones, and the Miron Bolitar series.I also enjoyed of Bill Brysons books.I thought Stieg Larsson's thrillers,gave an interesting insight to scandinavian living. And I must admit I am a great Harry Potter fan!There are just so many wonderful books out there.I love an author called C J Sanson who writes thrillers set in Tudor England,they are historically correct,and extremely descriptive without being too wordy.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Carefulove

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo View Post
I just finished the Shades of Grey series and I think I'll re-read them about 20 times...
I loved 50 shades! If you like to read something similar (not of the same caliber, but good enough), there is a new book out by Sylvia Day called "Bared to You" will be followed by "Deeper in You" (In Oct 2012).

I enjoyed Bared very much, very tortured hero, very dysfunctional couple that despite all, love each other enough to try and make it work!

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.
Carefulove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Carefulove

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscsps View Post
Katie MacAlister - OMG funny, She has contemporary stuff, vampire, and dragon series...
I started her "Dark Ones" series a while back and went as far as the 4th book. After that, I found too many similarities between the main characters on each book and gave them up. They were super funny, but I just lost interest.
I do have all her Dragon books (both series) and plan to read them sometime.

Karen Marie Monning also has a Highlander Series (Time travel/fairies). I absolutely loved this series.

If you enjoyed Katie MacAlister, check out Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series. She is very funny and this series is Awesome!!!

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.
Carefulove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #24
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I thought I would revive this thread I just finished reading the best book! Following Atticus by Tom Ryan, about a man and his awesome dog. If you like dog books I recommend this one. Before that I read all three of Gillian Flynn's books, kind of dark but good reads. I'm off to find a new dog book...they just make me happy!
gertchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #25
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
In the fifth or sixth grade, my english teacher said that I was reading way below my capacity. I was reading all the dog books at that time --Lassie, etc. So I checked out the Foxes of Harrow by Frank Yerby. Read all his stuff then went to Hemmingway and lots of other stuff. I used to read every day, but since my vision loss, I can only read on my Nook. I have the text blown up so I have to constantly turn pages--just to turn one normal page. I have the original nook which is the easiest to turn pages. Sherron got me the one with the lighted background, so I could read at night without turning on the light, but it is touch screen and real touchy. I am always having to reset back to the page I was on. I May try a tablet with lighted screen--more words on the screen, but one person said that she couldn't store a lot of books on hers like the Nook. Anyway here are my latest downloads:
The Forgotten by David Baldacci; The Black Box by Michael Connelly; The Racketer by John Grishaml
etc. Other favorit authors are Patricia cornwell; Jeffery Deaver; John Sandford (my favorite) Kathy riechs, Kay hooper and the best of all Lee Child' s Jack Reacher series which should be read in order of publication. Oh another best favorite is Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon Series also should be read in order because he ages. I only read the James Patterson books that Patterson himself writes.

Last edited by Luciledodd; 12-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Luciledodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Kerger View Post
Dog Books - Has anyone read A Dog's Purpose - it is a wonderful book - any good dog books that I can read? Love reading dog books
Sandi, if you're still looking for dog books check out my previous post but also The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein and A Dogs Journey by W. Bruce Cameron. I'm taking up Karen's advice and have started reading Jon Katz starting with Running to the Mountain. I read paranormal books for years too but I like mixing it up with dog books and real mystery. Lucille, I have a Kindle touch that I had a problem with too but getting a cover helped a lot, gave me more to hold on to. Maybe try that?
gertchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #27
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
funny that this thread should be revivied as I just decided last night I want an e-reader for Christmas! lol
What do you guys use and do you recommend it??
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love seeing all the paranormal/fantasy/sci fi book addicts here! If you like Karen Marie Moning, try her Fever series. Also try Thomas Sniegoski's Remy Chandler series if you like fallen angels.
Ilona Andrews had a couple of great series too.
Check out FictFact to track different series and when the new ones come out http://www.fictfact.com/BookReleaseCalendar.aspx

Here's some of my favs:
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series
Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series
Lara Adrian's Breed series
Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series
Rachel Vincent's Shifter series (awesome series!)
Faith Hunter: Jane Yellowrock

Oh, and for historical romance, you can't go wrong with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series!

I also like a lot of young adult series because sometimes I just don't want to read page after page of sex lol
Julie Kagawa - Iron Fey
Cassandra Clare - Mortal Instruments
Richelle Mead

I get a lot of good book recommendations from Goodreads and Library Thing. Look me up

Last edited by Dory; 12-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
funny that this thread should be revivied as I just decided last night I want an e-reader for Christmas! lol
What do you guys use and do you recommend it??
I love my Kindle Fire! I gave my iPad to my husband because it was just too big to hold for reading (arthritis in hands). The Fire is just the right size and weight.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #30
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
The first one I got was the original Nook. I love it the most. With the text at normal size, the page is about like a paper back and it is easy to work. The backlighted one is good if you read a lot in the middle of the night and do't want to turn the light on so as not to wake the DH. The best thing of any is that the books are from a third to half price of a hardbound one. And if you go back to older books, lke I n I wanted to read a whole series before reading the latest one, then the books are sometime oly $2. And, they can be shared lent. You can have up to 5 devices on one account. s my two daughters and me are on one account. Whatever one buys the others can download. A real bargain if you have family r friends that like the same types of books.