New Havanese owner needs reassurance - Page 76 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #751
kaydm

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, my friend Hazel of over 35 years is the one who sprung Maggie from the vet boarding. So glad the vet called her.

Hazel has a lovely quiet home with boyfriend (ooh, what a dumb word for partner in life). She had Lil Dude, a cat who talks to me on the phone. lol. Maggie likes the counter cats at the vet and at the groomer. They have an enormous yard which Hazel said Maggie ran around in exploring.
kaydm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #752
kaydm

Hazel has a great idea. Maggie usually makes herself scarce when I have company. But Hazel was with me when I got Maggie and held her while I completed the transaction.

Hazel thinks it would be great if she and I and Maggie cuddled on the couch at both my home and her home. Her thinking is that maybe Maggie can latch on to the idea that Hazel is a loved, trusted friend of mine. I am willing to try this with maybe a few bits of chicken at the end each time. lol
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #753
Moe's Gram
and Rae's too!

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Kay, I was so happy to read your initial post about Maggie's progress. I know it has been a long road and I'm sure you were thrilled to see that all the work and love you have put into her has made a difference.

I was sad to read on about your current situation and having to re-homing Maggie. I know that you will do what is best for her as you have from the day you got her.

I have missed hearing about how you both are doing. I hope you will be able to keep us posted as you make these hard decisions. Prayers going out for both of you.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #754
Sheri

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
Kay, that is a great idea. And I'd imagine that Maggie had already attached feelings to Hazel since she was there when you first picked Maggie up. Snuggle time and chicken would have to be a good thing, right? And the fact that Maggie likes some cats would be a comfort to her, too.

I know that when I picked up a puppy years ago, and my mom held her while I drove, that puppy always had special feelings for my mom (who doesn't even particularly like dogs, ha!)
Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #755
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
That sounds like a good plan, Kay. Perhaps after doing the snuggle thing a few times, you could leave her for an overnight pj party with Hazel, then work up to a weekend. By doing it gradually, it may help Maggie to form a deeper bond with Hazel and adjust easier. I am so sorry to hear your sad tale. It brought years to my eyes. I will pray for you and Maggie, as well.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #756
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
That sounds like a good plan, Kay. Perhaps after doing the snuggle thing a few times, you could leave her for an overnight pj party with Hazel, then work up to a weekend. By doing it gradually, it may help Maggie to form a deeper bond with Hazel and adjust easier. I am so sorry to hear your sad tale. It brought years to my eyes. I will pray for you and Maggie, as well.
I think Pam has told me that this is more or less what she does if she rehomes an older dog. (retired breeder) She'll have the person visit quite a few times, take the dog for walks, take the dog for an overnight, then a weekend.. by then they are typically comfortable enough with the other "trusted" people that the transition is much easier.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #757
Tom King

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I haven't read enough of this thread to be up on exactly what's going on, but I just thought I'd stick this in.

New owner needs to come get the dog. It should not be taken and left by it's last owner. The dog must go willingly with the new owner. If it's taken and left, it may never stop looking for it's old owner.
Tom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #758
Sheri

That is interesting, Tom. I never would have thought of that being helpful in the dog's adjustment, for the reason you explain.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #759
kaydm

Yesterday

My dear friend, Hazel, took me and Maggie to the groomer. I introduced Hazel as Maggie's future owner. Then I cried. Then Hazel said but not today, Kay.

Maggie was picked up by Hazel later in the day. Hazel said she put her on the seat next to her and talked to her and petted her all the way home.

Maggie never shook in the car and was very frisky and ready to claim her back yard for a few minutes before coming in.

I love how Hazel deals with her. She just treats Maggie like her beloved late Yorkie who was a velcro dog. I like the changes I am seeing with Maggie.

Latest news is a real bummer. Two of my doctors, radiolgist and eye doc have said I can no longer drive. I am such an independent woman, and my wheels have always been important to me. But I am not willing to risk accident to any other person or myself. So, for now, I am not driving. Yesterday, I stomped around the house at this news even though I agree.

Acceptance for me does mean I do not have to like the facts. This has worked so well for me in the past that I know eventually my anger will pass.

Hope all have a great day. Will try to get a pic of Maggie to post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #760
Sheri

Hazel sounds like a diamond. It is good to read how well Maggie does with her, and I'm sure that is a huge relief for you. For later, but not for now. Hazel is right, and what a sweet friend.

It would be very difficult to giving up driving, but you are doing the right thing by turning in your keys, for now, at least.

Hugs to you, and a wave to Maggie!