Crate training - am I doing this right? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope so. Although there was a bit of a set back this morning I woke up around 630 and he wasn't up so I thought well that's quite late for him not to be up and I went in and he was quietly sitting in his crate - no crying but he has gone potty in his crate. I hope this doesn't set his training back too much. I don't know if perhaps he tried to wake me and I was on a deep sleep although I was awake around 4, 5 and 6 and didn't hear a peep so I just thought he was sleeping longer this morning as his crate was a bit darker with the sheet.

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #22
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
That's why I put the travel crate in the ex pen. Ted used a pee pad , I think only twice but it was at the opposite end of his pen away from his crate. He has never peed in his crate. His crate is just big enough for him to go into and turn around. Maybe your crate is too large. Some others on here divided their wire pen in half til puppy got bigger. Wash the bedding really well in hot water or just go to the dollar store and pick up a few cheap sleeping pads until he is more trut worthy
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
That's why I put the travel crate in the ex pen. Ted used a pee pad , I think only twice but it was at the opposite end of his pen away from his crate. He has never peed in his crate. His crate is just big enough for him to go into and turn around. Maybe your crate is too large. Some others on here divided their wire pen in half til puppy got bigger. Wash the bedding really well in hot water or just go to the dollar store and pick up a few cheap sleeping pads until he is more trut worthy
I have RA, and I really need my rest. So the early mornings when Kodi was a puppy were too much for me. We did what you have done... A crate (left open) and litter box inside. He didn't need it all the time, but from time to time he used it. And with that arrangement, he regulalry went from 10pm to 6:30 or 7am.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
Tia

Yeah it could be that it is too large where it gives him that freedom. He has been getting really good with his toilet training as we have been watching him closely so we will just have to not get too complacent
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Doug is just the cutest, Tia . You asked about the size of his crate . . .and experts recommend the crate be on the smallish side. Raider is in a plastic crate and is only in there to sleep. When he wakes up, I take him outside immediately, to the same spot in the yard each time. We've only had him since Friday, so still very new to this, but he's doing well with this system. He plays nicely in the living room with our older Hav . . .and I put him in his expen with pads spread around on a tarp when we're away or home but can't watch him.

[quote=krandall;456293]One of the best methods I've ever seen for teaching a dog to love his/her crate is Susan Garrett's "Crate Games". I highly recommend this DVD. It is worth every penny.

Thanks for the tip . . .i just found it on Amazon and ordered it and looking forward to giving it a go with both dogs.

Isabella loves her soft sided collapsible crate and it travels very well with the check in luggage. Right now Raider sleeps in the little plastic travel crate but we plan to buy him a soft sided crate when he's ready for a larger one.

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
Tia

Thanks Claire. He was much better last night. I noticed this morning when he woke his cry is much quieter so am thinking he cried yesterday morning and i just didnt hear. No accidents yesterday after the one i woke up to which is great as he was on his own for a few hours and used his training toilet inside. Fingers crossed he keeps going well. T

Tianna & Doug
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #27
Tia

Hi everyone. I just thought I'd provide an update on Dougie's crate training.

He has been hardly making a peep in his crate the past few days and is more regularly going into his crate on his own when he wants some timeout. Of a night I've been having to leave his crate door open however if he does get up he is confined to the laundry. I did this because after his accident in the crate I was worried I didn't hear his cries which I'm sure is correct because the last couple of mornings he has gotten up and gone to the potty and cries afterwards (probably wanting some play time at 530am) but I only heard him because I was awake and it took me a few moments to be sure it was him. So relieved he is getting used to it. He will still make some noise when he doesn't want to go into his crate however it's no where near as horrifying as what it was and he stops after a couple of minutes and finds a toy to play with. I'm not starting to concentrate more on his toilet training. He is going ok with it but its more us being I servant then him being trained so ill be scanning the forums to learn more on this area. He also is starting to bite my toes. It doesn't hurt but I want to discourage any biting or aggressive behaviour straight up. Any ideas on this? He will growl and bark at me a bit too when he goes into these little hypo moods.

Tianna & Doug
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
lise

They all start biting and I know Ted was growling too. Just means he is teething big time. Get bitterapple spray and spray your feet. I taught Ted the phrase " leave it" which he fully understands. It works now when he approaches something that he shouldn't . Also replace the biting with a chew stick or other appropriate toy. Teds signal for wanting to go to the bathroom is growling and barking or he will tug at me. So many signals that they give us that we have to learn!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
Tia

Thank you for that. I will get him a teething chew bone and try the spray and command 'leave it'.

He has been soo much better. I can't believe how much changes in a week! This time last week I didn't think I would ever be able to leave the house with peace of mind that he wasn't barking or crying the whole time, he is so happy entertaining himself I am able to get some much done why he just sits in his pen or crate and naps or plays. So I am sure it will be the same with the toilet training and biting!

Thanks so much for the advice and support
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
lise

This too shall pass

Tags
crate, crying, seperation anxiety, training