How do others handle middle of the night bathroom needs? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queryne View Post
Unfortunately my guy won't cry to get taken out.
It's absolutely vital that a puppy's crate not be too large . . .big enough to turn around/sleep, that's it. Dogs don't want to mess the area they sleep . . .but if their crate has enough room, they'll use one corner for the bathroom. Once this begins happening, its next to impossible to halt. If its too big and you'd prefer to avoid the extra expense of a smaller one, you can always partition it off with something

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
Anna6

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for this information. Sofar so good but Nina's crate is a bit big. This makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
It's absolutely vital that a puppy's crate not be too large . . .big enough to turn around/sleep, that's it. Dogs don't want to mess the area they sleep . . .but if their crate has enough room, they'll use one corner for the bathroom. Once this begins happening, its next to impossible to halt. If its too big and you'd prefer to avoid the extra expense of a smaller one, you can always partition it off with something
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
bjackier

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
My 4 month old was sleeping thru the night in her crate for a month. N0W she wakes at 3:30 to pee and sometimes again at 5:30 to pee & poop. This is following a 11:30 pm pee before we go to sleep. She has no water after 7 pm and she usually poops 3 times during the day. Help. Frustrated after having a good month of solid sleep.
bjackier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates bjackier Great Photo:
bjackier (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they go through phases as their bodies grow and develop. Oscar is now 7 months and sleeps through the night no problem. Once in a while he will wake us up at 6 or 6:30 but today I had to get him up at 7:30 to go out. Last month he went through a week of getting up at 5 am to go to the bathroom and then going back to sleep. Two nights ago we went to bed like normal and had a normal day, but he woke up at midnight to go to the bathroom. 4 months is still really young... she will get there.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #25
bjackier

Thank you, Buzzys Mom. You make me feel much better. I am a first time dog owner and I think Mitzi is almost perfect but I am concerned with the change in her sleeping habits. Any other thoughts are welcome.
bjackier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
Buzzys Mom

It's my pleasure. Buzzy is 9, but Oscar is so young. I still have a lot of questions and everyone here is a great resource Ask away!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
queryne

My guy is almost at the point where he can keep from going during the night. I'm waking him around 5:30 to go. Some of you have dogs that can hold it all night. I was wondering, how many hours are we talking?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
queryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #28
Buzzys Mom

Buzzy is 9 and will hold it 24 hours if he has too (which he had to about 5 years ago when I had the flu and was unconcious the whole time). Even now he holds it from about 10 pm (their last out of the night) until he feels like going out. This morning it was 10 am.
Last night Oscar (7 months) went out at 10 pm (their usual last out of the night), and I woke him up at 7:30 to go. He came up and went right back to bed with Buzzy until later though. There are some mornings when he will wake me up at 6 or 6:30 to go (usually weekend mornings ). He isn't exactly consistent yet but I feel like we are getting there.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
queryne

Wow!!! I can't believe they can hold it that long. I tried to have Leo (4 months old) sleep through the night but he didn't make it and peed in his crate. We're99% sure he must have peed about an hour and a half before we let him out at 7am. So nowi'm taking him out around 5:30am. I'm going to continue to inch him towards 7am. Wish me luck!

queryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Queryne I find Doug will do a wee around 530 - 6 of a morning. He goes to bed around 10pm when we go to bed.

He too did a wee in his crate after being in there overnight as I think he attempted to wake us and we didn't hear him. I got up just before 7 to find he had done a wee. So now we are trying to work out if its best to levee his crate door open so he can get up as his please (which also doesn't encourage him to sleep longer) or get up around 530 to take him. My husband was working this morning so took him at 530 and the. I got up again with him at 7am but he didn't need to go.

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote