Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
My samsung/android experience
Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
kawboy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
My samsung/android experience

Let me start by saying if you are an apple fan like me you might want to reconsider trying something else. My wife uses my ipad for games so I decided to get something for me to take out of town. I wanted to try something else so I got a samsung galaxy 2 10 inch tablet. To start with, when I type in the website I want to go to it gives me the mobile site in some cases. Samsung says there is no work around for this but maybe someone knows better than the guy I talked to. I have my credit card and car lease with Chase. I was able to pay my card balance online but not my lease. No problem paying it with the ipad. I have two retirement accounts at Scottrade and could not do things I wanted to do. Tapping on the spot that shows dividend yield comparisons got me nowhere until it opened a page that had nothing to do with what I wanted. I could go on with the other flaws I've found but you get the idea. If this is a samsung issue than the galaxy is quite inferior to the ipad. If this is an android issue than I would say the android operating system is inferior to the apple ios operating system. I guess there is a reason why apple products cost more. They are way better. Wish I'd have gotten the ipad mini but when I saw the galaxy 10 inch tablet for a lower price than the smaller ipad it seemed like a good deal. Maybe not so much now. Hope this helps someone considering buying a tablet.
kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
My guess is it's the operating system.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
kawboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
My guess is it's the operating system.
You are probably right. It's still a useable tablet but the android system apparently has some bugs. I heard good things about the galaxy which is why I tried it. Maybe people who never tried apple aren't aware of androids shortcomings.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Beau's mom
Beau's Mom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love my iPad mini!

They're not my dogs -- I'm their person
Lorraine
Beau's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
kawboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau's mom View Post
I love my iPad mini!
You are not helping.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Kim, did you get your Dogs Naturally Mag should have been two issues. I pm'd you with no reply. ?

Last edited by davetgabby; 11-29-2012 at 08:27 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
kawboy

I have been able to correct a couple of issues. I tried using a search engine for the chase and discover sites and tapped on the links. This took me to the full site instead of the mobile site. I then bookmarked them and deleted the mobile sites. I was also having an issues with one website coming up in huge print and I couldn't make it smaller. I stumbled on a drop down menu that allowed me to set it to desktop view and it was normal. It's getting better now that I've found these work around's. I also like that the galaxy puts in some punctuation marks while typing. Maybe I was too critical too soon.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboy View Post
I have been able to correct a couple of issues. I tried using a search engine for the chase and discover sites and tapped on the links. This took me to the full site instead of the mobile site. I then bookmarked them and deleted the mobile sites. I was also having an issues with one website coming up in huge print and I couldn't make it smaller. I stumbled on a drop down menu that allowed me to set it to desktop view and it was normal. It's getting better now that I've found these work around's. I also like that the galaxy puts in some punctuation marks while typing. Maybe I was too critical too soon.
it's probably like moving from PC to Mac or vice versa... it takes some time to learn to "think" in the new system... then it feels very natural.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
kawboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
it's probably like moving from PC to Mac or vice versa... it takes some time to learn to "think" in the new system... then it feels very natural.
Another new issue. Every time I go to TV Guide listings this thing freezes and I need to restart it. It reminds me of my experience with windows which is what got me to try a MacBook. I might still get an iPad mini and sell this on eBay.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Ruthi
havilove

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have considered getting the samsung galaxy 3, or the note. I have always had apple. Apple computers, ipads, iphones, etc. Want to try something different. May have to really think this out, lol.
Ruthi is offline   Reply With Quote