What to do with the little bugger when you have an emergency - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hey Tracy,
I'm sorry you have had such a crappy day. Is there anyone you work with that could watch him? Maybe someone here has a referral of a dog sitter in your area.

Feel better Tracy.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 20 Times in 18 Posts
I think everyone has said it all and I have nothing else to add except that I'm so sorry you are going through all this. Hope you continue to feel better and know you can come here for pep talks and a sympathetic ear.Keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
marlowe'sgirl

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a couple of family emergency situations where I had no one to help out. What I did was make sure Marlowe had potty'd, then I hid a key under my doormat, and once I had a bit of downtime at the hospital or whenever, I texted a semi-friend from work to go check in on Marlowe. It's worked out well enough.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
So sorry about all your health issues, Tracy . . .I'm sure the stress of what to do with Brody only made it worse. I agree with the suggestion of checking your vet for boarding. But in bad weather and and a health emergency, there's not always extra time to drop off pets. It's absolutely vital to connect with others. I moved to West Texas four years ago from another state and didn't know a soul. First thing I did was get involved in a birding group, a church and a local women's political club. Before I knew it, all my free time was taken up and I've made some wonderful friends in the process. It's not easy, I know . . .but people, like our beloved dogs . . .belong in packs

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
In my town I belong to a dog walking group. They call themselves "the doggone walking club". I've met lots of cool "dog people" and now have a list of contacts of people that probably would love to help in an emergency. Perhaps this might be something you could start in your community (once the weather improves). We have a facebook group where people will post "walks" and anyone is welcome to join them. It is nice walking with a pack, meeting new people and the dogs love it too. Here is the link to our group if you wanted to copy something similar in your town.

https://www.facebook.com/DogGoneWalkingClub

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
Pipersmom
Julie

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sorry you had such a bad day and I hope you're feeling better today Tracy.

I think your situation is more difficult because of the weather, I've met a lot of "dog" people just walking and at the park. I know you can't do that in 2 feet of snow. I do know from your posts that you are a great, funny person-are any of your neighbors friendly?

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to you. I am a severe asthamtic and have a GI disorder. I once took Buzzy in the car with me and drove an hour to the "better hospital" near my parents, and had my parents pick him up from there (all the while bleeding internally). Not fun. With that being said, I did a quick google search, and found this:
Melissa
Walkers, Sitters, Daycare, Groomers & Spas, Training & Obedience, Dog Waste Removal
8924 87th street
Fort St John, BC V1J 5H4
I do dog walking, pet taxi, dog daycare, bath/brush, doggy doo clean-up, and will be doing dog training soon!

It might be a good idea to reach out to her and see if you can set something up for emergency situations. I don't know if there are others in your area, but you might want to do a search. Feel better!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go threw all that First off I was really worried about barking too. I got lucky and moved to a four plex that we all have dogs. No one cares if ours dogs bark. Its also an old house with thick walls so no one is really bothered. Your boss was a good friend to come pick Brody up. If this happens again I wouldn't be worried about the barking he is safe for a long time in your apartment. And do what Karen said. I think the closet vets office seems to be the best idea to look into entail you can find a dependable avenue to help. In a life threatening emergency I wounder if the fire department would help place an animal in a safe place? Or take him to the vets? You are not alone and I'm glad you were able to get yourself to the hospital and everything worked out fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I think the best thing to do is to 1. Take care of your health (make sure you have check-ups and current medications around.
2. Are there any teenagers around who would clean your car in this kind of weather? They like spending money and this might be too strenuous of an activity.
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Anna6

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about every thing you and Brody went through. I guess you realize you will need to find emergency contacts for Brody just as if he is a child. We have a very large family but I already talked to several people who would be willing to take Nina for a short time, even the night, in case of emergency. These are not necessarily close friends but are people who will take in a small dog in the house. In some cases they might be people that I offered to help them out with their pet if they need help. You might offer to pay or find people in your area that dog sit for $ or an animal shelter for boarding. I hope you will be able to find a set up that will work. I am sorry to hear Bordy was for 3 hours in the car and I am glad to hear he is OK too.

Last edited by Anna6; 12-04-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote