Puppy Health Issues - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Puppy Area

Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
ChocolateHav

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh also, I never heard anything about capping and filing teeth and Rocco's overbite is about the same size. I had his jaw looked at by three separate vets and they all said that the only possible work he would need would be having some teeth pulled if they were digging into his gums and then put on a soft food diet for life. I'm sure your vet is great but I'd get a second opinion before paying $1600 on that kind of dental work.
ChocolateHav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Bailey248

Thank you everyone for the advice and support. We'll start doing the massage on the bridge of her nose and see if that helps.

Linda, sorry to hear about Bella's liver problem. That was very kind of the breeder to help cover the costs. I've yet to hear back from our breeder, but we did only send the email yesterday.

ChocolateHav, thanks for sharing your experiences with Rocco's overbite, it's encouraging to hear it hasn't caused him any problems.
Bailey248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Hi, I was wondering why the vet didn't know if the teeth were the puppy teeth or the adult. I think if you are going to have an early spay maybe before you could get an x ray of the teeth.Their may be a real problem like two sets coming in together. And the right doctor can correct all the problems with one anesthesia. Also be sure to have blood drown before surgery to make sure your puppy can handle the anesthesia. I was also told to wait at least a mo after shots to spay. My Zoey had a slite underbite and a breeder friend of mine had me put light pressure on the bottom several times a day. Their jaw does grow at different rates up in tell about 5mo old. Some vets recommend pulling some baby teeth to help a bite. I would find a different vet someone who specializes in teeth if your vet doesn't really know. Give your baby a big hug for me.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
mathewloop
Banned

Submit Photo: 0
Your puppy is so sweet
mathewloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Buzzys Mom

Buzzy is a puppy mill puppy and has small/blocked tear ducts. He ALWAYS has staining even though I clean his eyes twice a day. I don't think there is really anything to do about it. It doesn't bother him, and he is 9 now. I don't know anything about the other issues, but I am so sorry you have to deal with so much.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I missed this thread when it was hot, but since its already been bumped . . .what ever happened with Bailey? Did her teeth come in? Was the hernia repaired? Poor thing . . .it really does sound as though the breeder could have been running a puppy mill to have produced so many problems. Poor Bailey . . .I'm glad she has a loving home with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Bailey248

Hi, Bailey is doing really well overall thank you, she is still having some problems with her teeth though. Her hernia has stayed the same so we haven't had her spayed yet as we were waiting to see what happened with her teeth.

We took her to see the dentistry vet at NC State when she was about 19 weeks old. At that point her front adult teeth has just come in and has pushed her baby teeth through with them. The vet said that she did have a large overbite but he wasn't too concerned about it. He said the most important thing was to get her teeth cleaned every year since small dogs have a lot more dental problems.

In the last week or so her adult bottom teeth have started coming in behind the baby ones which is worrying me, especially with her bite already being so off. We brought her a antler to chew and are playing tug to try to loosen the baby teeth, she is losing a tooth every few days but not any of the front ones yet. The NC State vet had said to email him photos if we had any more questions but the email we sent him came back undelivered so we will need to take her to see our vet. I'm really hoping the teeth will fall out on their own as they said it would be $800 to have them removed and it will be a lot of teeth for her to have pulled so I imagine she'd be pretty sore afterwards. Does anyone know how urgently this will need to be dealt with? We're closing on our first house on Thursday so she'll be going to doggie daycare for 3 days while we move so we don't really have a good situation for her to recover until after that.

Apart from her teeth issues she is doing great though and is such a sweet puppy with a huge personality! Our main training issue is that on walks she wants to greet every person and dog we pass so we need to work on getting her a bit calmer. After Christmas we will be signing her up for more classes and we want to start working towards the Good Canine Citizenship test so I think we'll get help with this then.

I'm confident that her breeder isn't a puppy mill, she's been mentioned positively a couple of times on this forum and the dad was from another breeder who has been recommended quite few times on here. We also visited her house and were able to watch the puppies grow up on webcam. The breeder did get back to me to say that she had never has this problem with teeth not coming in before but they had also never bred from this dad before. I think Bailey was just unfortunate to have so many problems.

I've included some photos of her teeth and just to show how cute she is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3491.jpg (104.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3525.jpg (100.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20121105_135233.jpg (112.0 KB, 2 views)
Bailey248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Buzzys Mom

I didn't realize this was an older post, but she is a real beauty! I am glad things are (kind of) working out. I hope she doesn't have to have her teeth pulled when she gets spayed. That's a lot, hernia, spay, and teeth pulling. Good luck and keep us posted.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
She adorable and very glad she has you to take care of her. She looks like a happy puppy. Sorry she's had so may issues.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
awwwwww, love that last pic! her face is a dead ringer for my Tillie!!!

Tags
health, hernia, overbite, tear staining