Hair gathering in comb when grooming? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
I haven't actually done this yet . . .but do spin and knit and would imagine those offering this service would be willing to mix it with angora or cotton as every order would be custom anyway.

Does lanolin negatively affect you as well? Seems like lanolin is included in an awful lot of products.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Lanolin is a problem. And I always tell docs along with penicillin allergy. And one time when I had a metal splintery thing, they gave me this thing to clean the wound with...and I checked and it had lanolin! I had already started so I washed it off real good..I don't remember if it bothered me or not, the tetanus shot kinda distracted me. ;-)

I've had people tell me my reaction can't be that strong or fast. Other people claim it's chemicals used in refining wool and I also wonder if some breeds of sheep are more problematic than others. Who knows. It's hard to find good chapsticks with sunscreen in them and no lanolin.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cey sheds SO much! Even now, at 2. His (very long, very pale) hair is constantly on all of my black clothes, my bags, etc.

I also collect it when I groom him. It would need to be washed to get the cornstarch out, but I was thinking along the same lines of trying to spin it and make something cool!

Karen, by a gallon is that just normally thrown in there, or stuffed down? I probably have at least half a gallon so far but not if I squish it all down

Anyway, yes, I concur with everybody else - no dog is actually non-shedding, even a Havanese, and apparently some havs shed more than others haha.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
heatherk

Oops, thought this was a new thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AckTivity View Post
All this talk about collecting hair makes me wonder if I would be able to spin my puppy's hair.
Yes you can! I've been collecting Kodi's hair for about a year. I actually have two bags... a white hair bag and a black hair bag. I've been told by friends who spin their dog's hair, that you need about a well-packed gallon bag to produce enough yarn to make anything of significance. I've got a REALLY well-packed quart of white hair, and about a 1/4 of a quart of black. I think the black will be for trim!<g>

It takes a long time with a single Hav. My friends who actually knit with their dogs' hair have Huskies, and they can get get plenty of coat in a couple of weeks to fill a gallon bag!!!

Sorry! I thought it was a new thread too!

Last edited by krandall; 12-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokpup View Post
I know this is an old thread but found it when googling undercoat.

Had anyone here gotten havanese yarn made yet?

I want to do this at some point , but am concerned about the mixing with wool. I'm allergic to wool...I've gotten itchy hands just from hugging someone with a wool coat on. I have had issues with cashmere as well. I'm hoping that it could be combined with cotton. I have a sweater that is cotton and angora which I love.
You do need to mix it with another fiber, because dog hair doesn't have the little "hooks" on it that keep "wool" together and make it strong. But my guess is there are different options as far as what KIND of wool is needed. I assume, when you say "wool", that you mean sheeps wool. Cashmere, I believe is goat, and since sheep and goats are pretty closely related, I'm not surprised that both bother you if one does. Angora is from rabbits, and can be spun in its own right, so if you aren't allergic to that, that should be an option. Or you could look into alpaca wool. There might be synthetics that could be mixed in too... I'm not sure.

It takes a LOT of hair, though, when you only have one Havanese... I've been collecting it for over a year, and have about a quart plus another quarter of a quart. I've been told you need a tightly packed gallon to make it worthwhile spinning.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherk View Post
Cey sheds SO much! Even now, at 2. His (very long, very pale) hair is constantly on all of my black clothes, my bags, etc.

I also collect it when I groom him. It would need to be washed to get the cornstarch out, but I was thinking along the same lines of trying to spin it and make something cool!

Karen, by a gallon is that just normally thrown in there, or stuffed down? I probably have at least half a gallon so far but not if I squish it all down

Anyway, yes, I concur with everybody else - no dog is actually non-shedding, even a Havanese, and apparently some havs shed more than others haha.
I think all wool needs to be cleaned before it is spun... It certainly is awfully dirty coming straight off a sheep!!!

I was told the gallon bag needs to be tightly packed to have enough to bother with. It has taken about a year to get a SOLID quart of Kodi's white hair... a lot less of the black. My guess is that by the time I'm done, I'll have 4 quarts of white and MOST of a quart of black.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
heatherk

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I think all wool needs to be cleaned before it is spun... It certainly is awfully dirty coming straight off a sheep!!!

I was told the gallon bag needs to be tightly packed to have enough to bother with. It has taken about a year to get a SOLID quart of Kodi's white hair... a lot less of the black. My guess is that by the time I'm done, I'll have 4 quarts of white and MOST of a quart of black.
Guess that's why they raise sheep to produce wool and not Havanese dogs haha