Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Mats-is it ever okay to cut?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mats-is it ever okay to cut?

I was wondering if it is ever okay to cut out a mat.
I'm not so much talking about the fur-hair that is seen every day as a dog walks by. I'm talking about the hidden spots-tummy and armpits.

I found a tiny tangle/mat under Bama's arm last night. She was being rather squirmy and wouldn't let me work it out. Since she hasn't blown coat or hit puppy uglies (she's a havapom so her fur could go either way I guess), I decided to take the easy way out and just trim it out.

I know I probably shouldn't have. But being under the arm it isn't visible, and I didn't want it waiting until the next day when she would be more cooperative (it was bedtime). I hadn't noticed it earlier in the day (although I didn't thoroughly check armpits), but she had been in her harness all afternoon.

Did I do something horribly wrong?
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Tom King

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong at all. Even if it's a show coat, the judge won't look under the armpits. I've seen Pam take the little clippers to those parts many times.
Tom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
angiern2004

Submit Photo: 2
Heck no, there's nothing wrong with what you did.

Heck, Trooper is blowing coat and I just cut a mat out of a not-hidden place (behind his ear). Hair grows. Sometimes it's necessary for your sanity and the pup's.

Trooper is a Moptop boy! If only I could think up a registered name...
angiern2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I'm hardly a groomer, but there's one sure way to get a dog to hate and even fear grooming , and that's by torturing him on next to impossible mats. The key is to stay on top of the grooming so that it doesn't become a nightmare for the dog. You'll be glad you did. And your dog will love you for it. I like Linda's (Havanese Soon ) saying, ... hair grows back. Snip away. lol
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Well I feel better now. ;-)
We are watching Extraordinary Dogs on the documentary channel...I decided to break out the eye wipes and do some beard and face trimming. But I didn't trim any of the white beard hair...gotta match her new white eyelashes (is that what the upper eye hairs are called?).

Hair does grow back.
What I always loved about grooming the family yorkie...one haircut can give you a whole new dog.

Bama is only half Hav, so she will never be a show dog. So no 'breed standards' to comply with...just the adorable standard. ;-)

Now if only human hair grew back so fast...my hair doesn't get as long as it used to.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Izzy-bella

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
I'm hardly a groomer, but there's one sure way to get a dog to hate and even fear grooming , and that's by torturing him on next to impossible mats. The key is to stay on top of the grooming so that it doesn't become a nightmare for the dog. You'll be glad you did. And your dog will love you for it. I like Linda's (Havanese Soon ) saying, ... hair grows back. Snip away. lol
Snip away... like it, especially in those hidden areas...I keep all of it cut very short, have also cut into the mat (with blunt nose scissors) snipping a couple of times and then trying to comb it out...aiming the scissors into the mat (not sideways).
It is less stressful if you don't beat yourself up about it. No havanese hair cut inspector has ever come to my door yet, bet he doesn't show up at yours either
Izzy-bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Becky Chittenden

Submit Photo: 0
no problem with the armpit, and no problem since you aren't keeping a show coat anyway
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I ALWAYS chose to cut out armpit knots rather than torturing Kodi with trying to comb them out. When he was blowing coat, we actually clippered out his armpits to avoid those terrible, ouchy little knots.

My philosophy was that if it didn't show, I didn't care at all! If he had a knot where it DID show, and I couldn't work it out with just a comb and corn starch without hurting him, I'd slip a sharp scissor blade between the knot and his body, and pul straight up, away from his body, effectively slicing through the knot. Some knots required more than one slice to break them up enough that it was easier to comb out the rest. I knew I wanted to keep him in long coat, but not enough that I was willing to torture him!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I ALWAYS chose to cut out armpit knots rather than torturing Kodi with trying to comb them out. When he was blowing coat, we actually clippered out his armpits to avoid those terrible, ouchy little knots.

My philosophy was that if it didn't show, I didn't care at all! If he had a knot where it DID show, and I couldn't work it out with just a comb and corn starch without hurting him, I'd slip a sharp scissor blade between the knot and his body, and pul straight up, away from his body, effectively slicing through the knot. Some knots required more than one slice to break them up enough that it was easier to comb out the rest. I knew I wanted to keep him in long coat, but not enough that I was willing to torture him!
I've also found that with the very tiny knots under the armpit and such, you sometimes get almost as much hair in the comb from trying to comb then out as clipping. I still comb, because Cey doesn't mind and I want to keep what hair is there as long as possible, but if Cey did mind at all I would probably certainly just clip them out (or do what Karen just said, with the sharp scissors pulled up to break the knot up).
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks Dave! Yup! Hair grows! I have two little boys and when I do those belly trims to keep those boys smelling good, I also try to get those little hairs under the armpits.

If I get desperate and want to get at a mat, I will take some very sharp scissors and slide the blades through the mat, this helps work out those knots/mats so easily when combed. I have used this technique many times to get out those big mats that some how I seemed to missed.

You do want works for you and your Hav. Sometimes it is not worth the pain to work out those tough mats, so try the scissor gliding technique. It works!

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote