Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalleBerry View Post
So there's hope???? Halle just turned one last week, so she's a long way from that - but I really do like the full coat and I'm hopeful that I can keep it up. Time will tell....
Kodi's coat was DEFINITELY the hardest from 10-18 months. During the worst of that period, I was bathing him every 4-5 days, for the same reason you mentioned... the cleaner he was, the less mats he got. Now he NEVER gets mats... I occasionally find little knots, usually in arm pits or where his car harness goes, that are easily combed out, literally in seconds, during regular grooming. I have been away twice for 5 days at a time in the last 6-8 months, where Kodi has had NO grooming, and has spent his days playing with his BFF GSD friend. When I've gotten home, he has definitely needed a bath because he was smelly in that big-dog way, but no knots at all!

Unless they are the curly coated type (and it doesn't look like Halle is) I think they all DO get much easier when their coat is fully mature. It just takes a long time to get to that point! ...and how MUCH easier still depends on coat type. I'm sure the cottony coated ones, and ones with a dense undercoat are still going to need more grooming than a silky coated one with a lighter undercoat. (Kodi clearly has an undercoat, but it is nowhere NEAR as dense as some of my friend's Havs)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA

BTW, I think we need some more Halle pix!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
HalleBerry

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's my hope - Halle doesn't have a really heavy coat (one of her BFF's looks like a bushel basket when he isn't flat ironed - I had my friend bring him over like that one time - it scared the crap out of my husband LOLOLOL). Halle's uncle (who is the reason I have a havanese, he is the MOST wonderful dog ever) has the silkier coat as does her mother, so I'm hopeful that Halle will take after that side of the family.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #24
HalleBerry

She's hard to take a picture of - she is glued to me once I get home from work.... I want pictures of her running agility, but she usually has the entire crowd in hysterics as we try to recapture her. She LOVES it - but she's really not under control, and will run backwards and forwards through the obstacles - ESPECIALLY the tunnels. On leash, she's great. Off leash - she's teaching the rest of her class to RLH!

She has "formal" pictures here http://sardigreatdanes.com/havanese/halle
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
She's hard to take a picture of - she is glued to me once I get home from work.... I want pictures of her running agility, but she usually has the entire crowd in hysterics as we try to recapture her. She LOVES it - but she's really not under control, and will run backwards and forwards through the obstacles - ESPECIALLY the tunnels. On leash, she's great. Off leash - she's teaching the rest of her class to RLH!

She has "formal" pictures here http://sardigreatdanes.com/havanese/halle
Oh, she's beautiful!!! Her coat looks very much like Kodi's did at that age. I bet she'll be a lot easier in a couple of years!

And as far as the agility is concerned... we went through a period of Kodi "running amok" on a regular basis too. I had to slow everything WAY down, with LOTS of cookies for attention and staying with me, and FORGET about speed. The speed is in there, it's following directions that they need to learn!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
HalleBerry

Thank you so much! I do so love the little terror.... tonight she actually made it over the dog walk, through the tunnel AND made the teensy jump (they lay the bars on the ground for her so she doesn't lift yet) afterwards - and didn't run the entire room in circles! Yippee!!!! One day at a time.... once she finishes the Grand she'll go back to obedience and I'll see if I can't encourage a little control. But she's just so darn cute running with all that hair floating in the breeze!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #27
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 20 Times in 18 Posts
I looked at all your pictures and she sure is a little doll!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #28
HalleBerry

Thank you so much!

I've worked very hard to keep her coat up - I love the look of a havanese in full show coat, so my hope is that I can keep it up over the years. The "show" people we have met ringside have been very very nice, and have given my handler & myself suggestions that have helped us a lot in keeping up her coat.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
But she's just so darn cute running with all that hair floating in the breeze!
My family says Kodi should be in shampoo commercials!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #30
HalleBerry

I think your family is right!!!!

Tags
dog, grooming, hair, long, show