What to do with the little bugger when you have an emergency - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #21
Izzy-bella

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Dear Tracy...So glad you are feeling better and the little one is home safe and sound.
All of the above advice is, as usual, the best. Please consider some of what everyone had to say and know that we all care about you and wish the best for you..

I don't really have much to add except that young people are a great way to meet grown ups..... I read to local school children, at the school and sometimes at the local library and have met many new friends. Not only the children (potential pet sitters or walkers) but their parents. Good luck and stay well...Estelle
Izzy-bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
oh my gosh Tracy!! I am so sorry!! how scary! I can't believe you had to dig your car out and worry about Brody all the while gasping for air! That is scary.
I also can't believe you took him WITH you!! What an incredible doggie mama you are!!

I agree that you HAVE to find someone, somehow to help out in emergency situations like this!! Brody needs you to do that for him and you need to do it for your own health and peace of mind!! I can only imagine how freaked out he was being left in the car that long, in the cold, worried about YOU, his only person...
So glad you are both safe and together again!!
keep us posted on your recovery!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
heatherk
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
So sorry Tracy. I also have asthma - though it's never been as bad as you just went through, I do the same thing and put off going to the hospital if I am sick, so I have ended up in Urgent Care more than once getting breathing treatments (and each time, they give me a hard time for not coming in sooner! Once it hits hard, inhalers can only give very temporary relief I have found, and it will continue to get worse until you go get help).

I agree with everybody above that it's pretty clear that you (everybody, really) needs an emergency contact for their dog, just as (as Anna6 said) if it were a child. That being said, hopefully your doctors can give you better treatments for your asthma as it pretty obviously isn't being controlled well enough by inhalers.

Hugs to you - I know from experience that not being able to get enough oxygen is one of the scariest things. And I also totally sympathize with you about the 'shakes' - the most I've ever had was 2 nebulizer treatments in a row, and I was shaking pretty bad after that (and the respiratory nurse didn't want to give me another treatment if all possible, because my heart was beating so fast). So take care of yourself!!!
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I hope Tracy is OK... we haven't heard from her in a while. I hope that's just because she's being a good doobie and RESTING rather than playing on the internet!!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #25
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah, I'm just wiped out. I was up half the night with a pounding headache (side effect from all the meds).

My best friend just found out she lost her job today (she's been there for 20 years) as the owner is shutting down the business immediately. So, I've been on the phone with her. It's funny how often we have bad things happen at the same (or close to) time. So, I have to say part of me feels sort of guilty that she got fired...like my asthma attack brought it on. Crazy line of thinking, I know.

I'm breathing much better today (better frankly, than I have in a month)

I fell on the ice after getting Brody out of the car today, so now I'm sore from that too and of course my first thought was "thank God I didn't land on Brody!". My keys went flying and then I had to find them in a ton of snow. Brody is no help, he's all jumping over me like it's a game, not to mention the barking, whining and carrying on while I was trying to park my car (which took 15 minutes as I kept getting stuck). Such sympathy that dog has....NOT! He'd not make a good canine assistant! ha ha

I can't believe it's only Tuesday. Hope nothing else bad happens! ha ha

Anyhow, I hurt all over and am going to try and make an early night of it (she says looking at the clock and seeing it's nearing 10 already).

I'm hoping to bring Brody up to see the pet Santa on Sunday, but we'll see how that goes between weather and health and stuff.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
OH and thanks for all the well wishes and suggestions. Much appreciated.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #27
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not familiar with your part of the continent, so my suggestions may be completely irrelevant...
Are there any local ...well, not AKC I guess...dog breed organizations in the area? Any breed, not just havanese. Maybe you could contact them and see if they have any suggestions, or have any members who do emergency fosters.

Is there any sort of local agility or dog show event you could attend and maybe meet other dog folks? Maybe there is a breeder of a different breed who would make a good emergency contact.

The other thing...are there local animal rescue groups? Maybe if you got involved with them...even just volunteering for an adoption day...you might meet some folks who are dedicated to animals who could help out in an emergency.

Is there a local asthma support group?

Not long after we got Bama I ended up going to the ER. My husband drove me, and Bama went along for the ride. And since we felt she was too young to leave alone (and neighbors too close), my husband dropped me off and took pup home. Fortunately my medicine kicked in before they could admit me so I got to go home. I don't know why my gallbladder wouldn't cooperate and respond to the medicine sooner...but at least it responded before I had to surrender a copay. ;-)

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Glad you are doing better.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote