e-reader? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Family and Friends > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
ya, it would be nice to get the ipad or the ipad mini, but it is just not in the budget!
I am pretty sold on the Kindle Paperwhite at this point. Although my son (almost 11 yrs old) can NOT wrap his mind around WHY I would want something that is black and white (GASP!) and is "old" ... I was like, uhhhh, actually it IS very new technology AND it just came out LAST month... bwhahahhaa. ya. he sees it as something from the "last Millenium"! He can't figure out why I don't want at LEAST the Kindle Fire!!
I guess I am old. lol I just want it for the BOOKS. I was one of those children who devoured books. Now that my children are older, I have begun reading again and really, REALLY want this 'toy' to be able to access library books at my finger tips and lay in bed or in my recliner and read. I can't wait!!!! If my husband doesn't get it for my for Christmas, I am TOTALLY going out and getting one the following day.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Kindle Fire-Love-Love it. I can check my email. Post on Facebook-check out the forum-it's a little hard to read the forum but I still can. And read books. I really enjoy reading books on the Kindle-I have an IPad but I leave my books off my IPad.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
When I got mine, a few years ago, I did a lot of research. I wanted one that could read lots of different formats and wouldn't tie me to one store. I ended up ordering mine from Europe. It's a Bebook. I got the mini initially and then gave that to my mom and got their newer version called a Neo. I really like it. Not sure what I'd get if I was getting one now as things have changed since I got mine.

Anyhow, I totally love my ebook reader. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but now I feel like I'm slumming if I have to read an actual book with dangerous paper that could cause cuts! hee hee

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Lizzie'sMom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Nook simple touch with glow light. I really like reading on it. The pages look like a regular book and it is easy to hold. I find I use the glow light a lot. It doesn't have internet access on it. The only thing I don't like (and I don't know if the Kindle is the same way) is that all the books we purchased are on all the devices we own because we buy with the same account. So any books I buy are on my 12 year olds Nook tablet-I told her to not read Fifty Shades of Grey!!! I also have an iPad with a Nook and Kindle app on it, but I do not like reading on it. It feels to "computerey" and my eyes get tired. There is an advantage to having the iPad though. I took it with me last summer when my daughter and I went to Ireland. I had internet access, my nook books with the nook app and I could text my kids and hubby with the text+ app when I was connected to wifi.

Last edited by Lizzie'sMom; 12-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Lizzie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
morriscsps
Joe Cool!

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I feel your pain and indecision. There are so many choices!!! I am an electronic junkie. For reading, we have a kindle 2nd gen. (mine), ipad 2 (hubby), and 2 of last year's basic kindles (the boys).

I am an Amazon person so we go kindle. Each of us has their own email & Amazon account to avoid problems with the kids getting access to inappropriate books.

The kids' basic kindles are SO, SO Light!!! I am jealous. I want a lighter one. Mine weighs 10.2 oz. Theirs weigh 6 oz. My arm does get sore after a while, especially if I have a cover on it. The downer of the Fire is that it weighs a lot. 14 oz. for the 7" HD one.

Definitely get a reader with a backlight. I wish I had a Paperwhite or Fire. The hubby whines when I turn the light on to read.

My father-in-law and brother both have the basic Fire and love it. According to the latest reviews, the 8.9" HD Fire is the one to get. That way you don't have to upgrade for several years and you can do more than read.

Public Libraries - YES! Their digital libraries are growing fast. My town library is pretty good and I also can borrow from Boston's Public library because I am a Massachusetts resident. Very cool. NY has a similar perk.

I have a paperwhite Kindle on my Christmas list. My current kindle works great even though it is old.

morriscsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
TilliesMom

YES the paperwhite is on my short list too!!

Our Best Buy has been out of stock, but I checked last night and they have them again!!! SO, I TOLD my husband the store opened at 8am. GO GET iT. lol
I am not subtle. never been a word used to describe me.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have a kindle fire and really like it. I have an amazon prime membership and love to download movies on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
FancyNancy
Henry's Mom

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Kindle Paperwhite and it is FABULOUS! I also like the new Mini ipad but I had already gotten the Kindle so it seemed redundant. Go for it Tammy!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
mmphelps
Tino's person

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a first generation iPad that I won with a $40 raffle ticket right after they hit the market, can you believe it? I found a used-like-new 1st generation iPad on craigslist for my mom a couple months ago for $200--you would never know it was previously owned and she loves it. I hardly ever buy an actual book these days, I just download them to the Kindle app. I think I have every e-book ever written on the Havanese lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
I have the Kindle Paperwhite and it is FABULOUS! I also like the new Mini ipad but I had already gotten the Kindle so it seemed redundant. Go for it Tammy!
you HAVE one!!?? awesome!! Have you gotten any books from your public library on it yet!??? They are back in stock at Best Buy and I am DYING, I haven't wanted something this bad, since ... Tillie! I drove by Best Buy 3 times today and I SWEAR 'my' paperwhite was SCREAMING my name. TRYING to be patient and trust that my hubby will get it for me for Christmas.
I TOLD him that was the one I wanted after we looked around and researched, then I TOLD him they were back in stock. AND that the store opened at 8am. AND offered to pay for it. bwhahahhaha