So where does your Hav ride in the car??? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
So where does your Hav ride in the car???
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
So where does your Hav ride in the car???

Lucky is now almost a year old (11 months) and he's done with crates in his life except for the one on the back seat of our car. He's reluctant to enter but fine curled up there even for 2 hour plus rides, BUT he's so happy on the short jaunts when I hold him on my lap and he can see out the window. I think it's time to treat him like a grown up dog and have a blanket on the back seat for him - when it's just he and me in the car, I'd even love him to sit in the passenger seat up front. My husband thinks the crate is essential for his safety and we should leave him there. I don't think I agree. What do you all do? Are Havs too small (and Lucky is now 22 pounds) for freedom in the car? Our labs just jumped in and rode looking out the window. Can Havs enjoy freedom in the car as well? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
My three ride in crates in the back of my TrailBlazer. I would not let them ride free in the car-in an accident a free roaming dog could be Very Hurt-or worse killed. The passenger seat's air bag could kill or seriously injury a dog sitting there. Another line of thought-if there is an accident and the Police or EMT's open your doors to assist you-then in fright the dogs would bold-then since everyone is working with the accident no one takes the time to try and catch the Very Frighten dog/dogs. So worse case-you now have a very scared dog running in traffic or lost in an unknown area to it. These are just my opinions but it might make you rethink an uncrated or unseat belted dog.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates Miss Paige Great Photo:
ClaireVoyant (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a car seat for Quincy and it is held in place by the seatbelt (in front when it's just me, in back when it's me and hubby). I also got him a car safety harness (Solvit) so he doesn't get thrown forward if I have to brake suddenly or there's an accident. That would also prevent him from running off if he got scared in an accident. I can't remember the name of the car seat right at the moment, but I got it from Amazon and several people had mentioned it a few months ago.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Buzzys Mom

Letting them free in the car isn't safe. I have car seats for both of my guys. It's is tall enough for them to look out the window and it has a harness that attaches to the seat belt so if there is an accident they are secured.
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
There are lots of other threads on this, but it doesn't matter what size the dog is, a loose dog inside a car is a danger to himself and people in the car in an accident. All the serious dog people I know use some kind of restraint system in the car, whether its a crate or harness of some sort.

Kodi has a donut dog bed to sit in, in the front seat if I'm alone with him, or in the back seat, if there are more people in the car. He is then securely buckled into the seatbelt with a well-made car harness. The brand I use is Vestharness.

While "dog car seats" seem like a nice idea, the ones I have seen all have weak connections between the seat and whatever the dog is wearing. These have been proven to be the weak point, breaking when even a small dog is hurled against them at force in an accident. So if you use a car seat, MAKE SURE that you replace or reinforce that strap with something with really heavy duty webbing AND connections to both the dog and the seat. (or, better yet, the seatbelt)

Also, I've seen people attaching the clip from the car seat to a dog's collar or regular walking harness. Neither is adequate protection, and can cause serious injuries. Even in a dog car seat, use a specially designed car harness that has a padded chest, and spreads the impact over as large an area as possible.

Oh, and if you DO let your dog sit in the front seat, make sure that your passenger seat air bag is disabled the impact of the airbag can crush a small dog... another reason not to let them ride in your lap. (if you're in the seat with them, you can't (or shouldn't) disable the airbag)

Last edited by krandall; 12-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.
krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Beau's mom
Beau's Mom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beau is miserable in the car without a booster seat! He just doesn't settle down unless he can look out the window! We invested in a good car seat (after dealing with the hassle and uncertainty of a cheapie when he was a puppy) so that he is secure and comfortable. He has a soft harness (puppia) that has 2 D-rings that I use when he's in the car that the tether clips onto very securely.

They're not my dogs -- I'm their person
Lorraine
Beau's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
I agree with your husband . . .not just for his safety, but all inside the passenger compartment and travelers in your vicinity. I would prefer to see neither, but given the choice, I'd rather encounter a texting driver over one with a lap dog. Sorry, they're just too much of a distraction and become a projectile traveling at the same speed as the car in an abrupt stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
lkwilson
Laura

Submit Photo: 1
We use... here's a pic. A lot of folks on the forum have them but the name is escaping me. Hit hooks over the headrest of the back seat in the center. He never tries to jump out, looks out some of the time, but mostly just curls up and sleeps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0404.jpg (114.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
jemmax

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got Max this car seat a couple of years ago - it makes it much easier for me to have him in the car especially if I am by myself....it is securely attached using the seatbelt and can be in the rear or the passenger seat and we are both happy with it - plus it sits high so he can look out !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110601-00047.jpg (139.6 KB, 6 views)
jemmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
kristin08

Sawyer uses a car harness that attaches to the seatbelt. He usually sits up front with the airbag off (just in case he throws up...).
kristin08 is offline   Reply With Quote