first flight - need advice - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
According to Southwest's site . . .the carry on rule is regulated by TSA so you mightn't find any US carriers allowing two standard carry ons:

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...-bags-pol.html

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
I always tried to keep both carryons small enough so they both fit in front of me. I can never get stuff in the overhead bins without a struggle.

What makes carryons such a hassle is taking stuff out for security. Once I had a separate tote bag with my laptop sweater and liquids bag and the security at front of the line (NOT TSA apparently) wouldn't let me through the line, even when I explained it would all be in my two bags after security. She made me shove it all in, only for me to have to drag it back out as soon as I passed.

It's dealing with laptop that's frustrating. But I wouldn't dare put it in checked bags...I like my items to arrive on one piece! ;-)

I'm going with Burbank for their lack of lines, even though that means no direct flight ( and having to walk up stairs to get onto plane). Had a bad experience at Ontario just trying to get out of the airport once. nd LAX is stressful and you have to take your bags yourself to TSA screeners after you have checked them in with airline and had them weighed ( unless you pay for skycap service out front).

I just wish pet carriers had more pockets. Or that someone would make one with a detachable pocket for your liquid bag or something.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
Ewokpup

As far as removing leash and collar and hdong as I walk thru...what if I use a metal free leash? And how do I hold my hands above my head in the X-ray tube if I'm holding a dog?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
You won't be going through the imaging machine, only the metal detector. After exiting the metal detector, you will continue holding your dog, but will be asked to provide a swab sample of your hands while waiting for your pet carrier and personal items to exit the X-Ray machine.

The link above details Southwest Airlines carryon policy, which indicates it's TSA rules, not necessarily theirs. That may or may not mean it's set in stone, but it all comes down to time of year (peak travel times means less leniency) and the individuals at the ticket counter, gate and attendants in the plane. At one time or another, I've been questioned at all three points while traveling with my dog regarding my tote which wouldn't be large enough to accommodate my 17" laptop.

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Whether your leash is metal or not, it almost certainly has metal on the clasp. The collar, like belts, jackets and shoes, must be removed and sent through the ex ray tube, per TSA regulation. You will not be allowed to walk your dog through the detector unfettered. The only exception to those rules would possibly be service animals.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

You know what? I just remembered I have a retractable leash with a plastic clasp that I avoid using because they pose a danger to dogs. But that too would be sent through the x- ray tube as nefarious agents could potentially be hidden inside. I just don't see a scenario in which one's dog would be allowed to walk through security, except for possibly a service animal. And if by fluke it happened, almost certainly would not twice on the return trip home. Sorry

Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
jemmax

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Max and I travel frequently internationally - up until recently we always had to make a stop in Houston....now we are lucky whereby we can fly direct - a longer flight but he is a good traveller.

We use a medium sized sherpa bag - I like that it has three sides of mesh for ventilation and I find the pocket on the end more than sufficient for a collapsible water bowl, pee pee pad, collar/leash, poop bag, and any papers he needs. I never bother taking a bottle of water as you always have to get rid of it before security.

Going through security is the only real 'drama' - most of the airlines let you pre-pay online or on the phone for the dog on the flight and most airline staff are generally pleasant at check-in - my only one problem has ever been on US Airways - the lady there was a real grouch....I also travel with a laptop - most of my 'personal' things are in a small wheelie and that goes overhead - I have never had an issue with that being one bag and Max the other. I get to check in and take Max out of the bag and hold him while all our stuff goes through Xray - then you walk through the metal detector and they ooh and aah over Max before asking to swab your hands....after that is just is a juggling act putting everything back together in your bag, putting shoes on etc !!!

Max is pee pee trained so if all else fails before boarding we go into the bathroom...in between flights if there is enough time I do try and take outside to the pet relief area - you mentioned you are stopping in Las Vegas - I live there part of the year - both terminals there have pet relief areas outside.

During the flight Max mainly sleeps - sometimes depending on who else is in my row or if there is turbulence I put the bag on my lap and open slightly to give some water etc....I never give Max any form of sedative - he is a good quiet boy and I don't need to - most of the time the people on the plane don't even realise there is a dog in my bag !
jemmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
jabojenny
Jen, Timmy and Mae

Submit Photo: 20
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Ewok. I'm planning on flying with Timmy for the first time too, we're leaving Christmas day. I'm flying USAir so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a grumpy ticket agent. I have to gamble and pay for Timmy as a cabin pet the day we go to the airport to leave and there is a max of 6 pets per flight, hopefully we don't have any issues. I got my first USAirway time change email the other day. We were originally going to leave at 4:00 and now the flight is leaving at 1:00 which is killing my Christmas breakfast host plans. I hope this isn't a taste of what is to come. We're going to Florida to visit my parents, my mom has had a rough time of things lately with her health but now she seems to be on the mend and if I can't get Timmy down she'll be so bummed. He rates right up there with my kids, she calls him her grand dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowe'sgirl View Post
Depending on the ticket agent is how much grief I get for trying to bring my dog aboard. It's a 20 or 25 lb weight limit and depending how surly they are, they'll question my 16 lb Hav as "too big" and make me 'prove' he's the right size ('well his weight's okay but he looks a little cramped' 'it's just a lot of fur!'). I've once had to get manager to come and approve my pup. So the check-in process can be anywhere from 5 to 45 mins.
So glad to hear there's another 15 pounder out there who is flying. What carrier are you using? I actually bought the medium sherpa bag but it seems way too small for him to fit in comfortably. Someone recommended a Sturdi bag which I bought, it's size large and seems a bit bigger then the Sherpa. Only issue with the Sturdi bag is that it doesn't open on the top and my sissy boy doesn't/won't walk in from the side he gives me a hard time. Once he's in the bag he's fine. Timmy also uses a booster/bag in the car I think it's a Pet Gear. This shaped bag is more square and I'm going to measure it and see it I might be able to use that one since he's so familiar with it.

jabojenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Ewokpup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
You know what? I just remembered I have a retractable leash with a plastic clasp that I avoid using because they pose a danger to dogs. But that too would be sent through the x- ray tube as nefarious agents could potentially be hidden inside. I just don't see a scenario in which one's dog would be allowed to walk through security, except for possibly a service animal. And if by fluke it happened, almost certainly would not twice on the return trip home. Sorry

I don't mean having her walk thru. But I would prefer if she could keep a non metal collar and leash on in case she gets gets free. Because of the way Burbank is set up, it would be possible to get from the security area to the loading zone in one mad dash. Or RLH as I guess you call it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
Ewokpup

The sherpa carriers have a guarantee that if the airline won't let you on they will pay for your ticket or something like that.

I could I guess get the official southwest carrier. But she is so used her sherpa...
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
JazzFest13

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had my Desilu cry only a bit during the flights, and with the noise of the plane no one heard it. I barely heard it, myself.

I fly with her often, and she's used to it by now. I'm so grateful for the option. I hate boarding her.
JazzFest13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, fly, luggage, plane, travel