color change...what to expect - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
TilliesMom
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
lol, I am SO used to hav ears that her ears surprise me everytime I see a pic of her!!
too cute!
__________________
Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Some days I think she is part kitten! When we first brought her home, if you looked at her from certain angles she looked like a cat. Even now occasionally I'll tease her that she's a kitty cat.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
lol, I am SO used to hav ears that her ears surprise me everytime I see a pic of her!!
too cute!
Aw thanks!
The one with the ribbon on her head is to hide her injured ear. The vet said the hair will grow long again (they shaved it down to look at injury) and it won't be noticeable.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
dodrop82
Senior Member
 
dodrop82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 907
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK, in those pics, I can see more Havie hair! And those ears are so darn cute, I can't stand it!
__________________
Stacey, Yogi (Gerty), and Baby Boo
dodrop82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
jemmax
Senior Member
 
jemmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Las Vegas and Panama
Posts: 201
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
When we originally got Max the breeder said don't fall in love with a dog based on their coloring as it will surely change - we didn't know much about the breed so didn't understand until we got Max. Max at 16 weeks through to now, aged 4.5...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0055.jpg (1.85 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (1.93 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00030-20110103-1525.jpg (10.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg MAX LV.jpg (476.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by jemmax; 12-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
jemmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
motherslittlehelper
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,645
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Bama does have darling ears! What happened to her ear? That last photo, the black with a hint of brown or red/brown in it is really rich looking. I sure don't remember any uglies happening around 2-7 months. I thought my boys had really nice hair until closer to a year and a half. And then it got not so nice for awhile. Augie did lighten up, starting at his back end, within his first couple of months, and it seemed to move forward. He also got a reddish/muddy looking strip down his spine for awhile. No longer has that. At 4, his hair is back to being pretty nice. He is a black and tan. Finn was listed as a gold sable. And, again, at around a year and a half, his coat went to heck. Ugh. At the moment, I think it feels a bit coarse. It was quite thin for awhile, but is starting to thicken up again. He has a fairly dark gold saddle on his back, but it appears that it is coming in lighter along his spine. I would love if he keeps his color. But realize he will no doubt go through more changes as they all seem to.
__________________
Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom
motherslittlehelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmax View Post
When we originally got Max the breeder said don't fall in love with a dog based on their coloring as it will surely change - we didn't know much about the breed so didn't understand until we got Max. Max at 16 weeks through to now, aged 4.5...
I'm used to color change a bit. Miss Yorkie taught me that...yorkie's all generally look the same as puppies. She's 12 now and in the past year or two seems to be getting more silver in.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Bama does have darling ears! What happened to her ear? That last photo, the black with a hint of brown or red/brown in it is really rich looking. I sure don't remember any uglies happening around 2-7 months. I thought my boys had really nice hair until closer to a year and a half. And then it got not so nice for awhile. Augie did lighten up, starting at his back end, within his first couple of months, and it seemed to move forward. He also got a reddish/muddy looking strip down his spine for awhile. No longer has that. At 4, his hair is back to being pretty nice. He is a black and tan. Finn was listed as a gold sable. And, again, at around a year and a half, his coat went to heck. Ugh. At the moment, I think it feels a bit coarse. It was quite thin for awhile, but is starting to thicken up again. He has a fairly dark gold saddle on his back, but it appears that it is coming in lighter along his spine. I would love if he keeps his color. But realize he will no doubt go through more changes as they all seem to.
By puppy uglies I meant what happens to Pomeranians. I guess all dogs can look awkward at some point, but poms will have a stage where they look not like a Pom pup or Pom adult and people will say 'um that is not a Pom!' Or at least that's what I've read.

I will write a new reply about her ear.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
jillnors2
Senior Member
 
jillnors2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 358
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Black havanese does have a few white hairs on her back that are just like what you showed in your pictures, they sprouted out at about 6 months but have since stopped so I don't think she'll get anymore. She's pretty black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may may closerxmas.jpg (153.3 KB, 7 views)
jillnors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Ewokpup
Senior Member
 
Ewokpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
So her ear...we aren't sure exactly how/what happened, but basically the tip of her ear got damaged, lost circulation, and gradually the tip fell off. What the vet and I think happened is either her ear hair or even the tip of her ear got caught in the top knot..maybe I did it wrong or as it got loose some hair wrapped around the tip of her ear. Her hair around and on top of her ear is long and fluffy and there is lots of it.

We first noticed something was up on Election Day when I put her Uncle Sam hat on. I thought maybe it was a mat of shampoo that hadnt rinsed completely out. We also wondered if maybe she got a hematoma we couldn't seem when her cone was on and it burst. But it was neither.

I felt absolutely horrible when the vet explained what was going on to me. I started crying. She reassured me that she wasn't in pain. She shaved the ear so we could make sure it was healing okay and gave us antibiotics.

So gradually the tip of her ear fell off. The hair is growing back.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.