first flight - need advice - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewokpup View Post
I don't mean having her walk thru. But I would prefer if she could keep a non metal collar and leash on in case she gets gets free. Because of the way Burbank is set up, it would be possible to get from the security area to the loading zone in one mad dash. Or RLH as I guess you call it.
I understand . . .but TSA will require you to remove her collar just as they will require you to remove your belt if you wear it to the airport. Even an all plastic collar with no metal to set off the detector. The detector is only part of the reason for removing the collar/belt. I wasted money on a so called "fast pass" harness and leash because it was advertised as a way to avoid having to remove it, carrying your pet and having your hands swabbed. I arrived at the airport and STILL had to go through all the hoops. Thinking it might have been a fluke at my local airport . . .discovered my return trip was exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
I understand . . .but TSA will require you to remove her collar just as they will require you to remove your belt if you wear it to the airport. Even an all plastic collar with no metal to set off the detector. The detector is only part of the reason for removing the collar/belt. I wasted money on a so called "fast pass" harness and leash because it was advertised as a way to avoid having to remove it, carrying your pet and having your hands swabbed. I arrived at the airport and STILL had to go through all the hoops. Thinking it might have been a fluke at my local airport . . .discovered my return trip was exactly the same.

Hmm I always thought you could keep on non metal containing belts. But different places enforce things differently. Once I had to take off my sweater even though I had already removed my jacket. Twice I've had to travel while sick and had prescription cough syrup...the first time they waved a strip over the open bottle. The other time i had it in the tray and asked if they needed to see it and they said no.

The hand swabbing is that new? The past year I've done the body scan and then sometimes still get a pat down, and from my understanding if you refuse the scan all they do is a pat down.
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Ewokpup

Another thing that I should mention...Bama is considered an Emotional Support Animal. I know some folks out there will pay money to some company to get a paper claiming they have a disability and their pet is a service dog. But today i received an actual letter from my doctor, stating they are treating me for a medical condition and my dog is therapeutic. And my doctor has actually met Bama-twice!

I will have to contact the airline to see what the procedures are for an ESA. Although it might be more stressful and anxiety provoking than flying with her as a pet.

Of course if my husband were flying solo with Bama, she would be considered just a pet.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

The hand swabbing has been done to me on and off since TSA took over, especially if I'm carrying photographic equipment. Hand swabbing when I carry my dog has been done every single time I've flown with her.

If you're wearing an all cloth jacket or sweater, they will almost certainly ask you to remove it. On my last flight, I was wearing a button down blouse, unbuttoned, over a flimsy cammy. It never once entered my mind it was considered a "jacket" but TSA asked me to remove it before stepping through the metal detector with my dog.

According to the new regulations that took effect in the ADA law this year, anyone claiming their animal is a service animal, must be accommodated . . .even if the service animal is a pig or horse. Yes, we may soon be traveling across country in a flying barn

Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
dodrop82

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! You are really discouraging me from traveling with the girls! When we take a vacation, Chris always wants to take the girls...I always discourage this, cause I don't think they'll fly well, or spend time in a hotel room alone well. And now, to hear what a pain the actual flight process is...I think not!!!! An airport is stressful enough to me, as is, without adding more stess. If he wants the girls to go, it's gonna have to be a driving vacation!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
NvonS

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fly with Lily a few times a year. All of the airports we have been to do not allow the dog out of the carrier. At PBI the fine is $250.00 if the dog is out of the carrier. TSA now swabs my hands for explosives after I walk through the x-ray. On longer flights I put Lily's carrier on my lap after the drink service. It takes a while for the attendants to get back for trash pick up and they always tell me she has to go back under the seat for the remainder of the flight. Most airports have pet relief areas but on a layover it means you have to have time to get back through security. A bully stick in the carrier keeps her happy for a while and a few ice cubes keep her cool and ease her thirst. She gets water as soon as we arrive. I hurry to the pet relief area as soon as we get off the plane and then go to claim my bags. If you have a friend who is a therapist you can get a letter to have your dog as an emotional support animal. They fly free and you can hold them on your lap. It crosses the line for me so I pay and she stays in the carrier. Airport maps now show the pet relief areas. Check before you go so you know where they are.
NvonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #27
NvonS

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
check this out http://www.dogjaunt.com/guides/airpo...-relief-areas/
NvonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabojenny View Post
So glad to hear there's another 15 pounder out there who is flying. What carrier are you using? I actually bought the medium sherpa bag but it seems way too small for him to fit in comfortably. Someone recommended a Sturdi bag which I bought, it's size large and seems a bit bigger then the Sherpa. Only issue with the Sturdi bag is that it doesn't open on the top and my sissy boy doesn't/won't walk in from the side he gives me a hard time. Once he's in the bag he's fine. Timmy also uses a booster/bag in the car I think it's a Pet Gear. This shaped bag is more square and I'm going to measure it and see it I might be able to use that one since he's so familiar with it.
I use a Sherpa bag (size large, I think). It slightly exceeds airline sizes, but the sides squish which makes it okay. American actually says that on their website, which I've pulled up at the ticket check-in. Marlowe can sleep comfortably in there and move around without any problem (except when he decides to move to one end and throw me off balance). He's not standing at his full height, though.

The hassle is very airport dependent. Some airports, I never have a problem. Others, I always have a problem. I usually fly AA because of their prices on my most freq routes. I have a friend with a larger rescue mix pup (~18 lbs), and she never gets hassled leaving from our home airport, but always gets hassled on her return flight from her family's airport. It's awesome other places let you check-in and pay for your pets online. American Airlines definitely doesn't and it's the part I dread the most with flying with my pup.

And I totally forgot about getting your hands swabbed for residue. Last time, they were like okay I need you to give me both of your hands so I can swab them. Me - I'm holding a dog right now, how about I give you one at a time? Sigh.

Even on trips without my pup, I've started preferring to drive over dealing with the airlines. Like with most flights these days, it's everything up to passing security that's the most hassle. Once you're in the terminal it's not that bad. Oh and the $250 roundtrip charge to lose your leg room to your pup and then another $50 to check the bag you sacrificed to you pup - not to mention the hassle of everything - definitely make driving look like a more reasonable option. I don't balk at a 10 hr drive quite the same way since I got my Hav and flew a few times.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrop82 View Post
Wow! You are really discouraging me from traveling with the girls! When we take a vacation, Chris always wants to take the girls...I always discourage this, cause I don't think they'll fly well, or spend time in a hotel room alone well. And now, to hear what a pain the actual flight process is...I think not!!!! An airport is stressful enough to me, as is, without adding more stess. If he wants the girls to go, it's gonna have to be a driving vacation!!!
I hope I'm not the one who's caused those thoughts . . .if so, I'm sincerely sorry. Honestly, it's not bad at all. The only tough part is security . . .but quite frankly, many find that part stressful without a pet. As long as you have everything off and in the trays before taking your dog out of its carrier, all will be fine. The only fly in the ointment is when some nice TSA agent strikes up a conversation in the middle of half undressing and wants to help take pooch out LOL. The flight its self is a piece of cake. REALLY

I'm flying next month with two dogs in one carrier . . .I'll pop back in to let everyone know how THAT works out LOL

Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #30
Ewokpup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvonS View Post
. If you have a friend who is a therapist you can get a letter to have your dog as an emotional support animal. They fly free and you can hold them on your lap. It crosses the line for me so I pay and she stays in the carrier. Airport maps now show the pet relief areas. Check before you go so you know where they are.
I have heard even if the dog is an emotional support animal it can be a hassle...getting the documents approved in advance...having to deal with looks and questions and people thinking you are faking. I already have enough anxiety and awkwardness is new social situations as it is from Asperger's syndrome. I've got the call the airline tomorrow and see what the procedure is...it may be easier to just fly with her as a regular pet carryon.

Tags
airport, fly, luggage, plane, travel