The Havanese Breed Magazine Issue #17 is now available - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
The Havanese Breed Magazine Issue #17 is now available
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
nathanp

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Havanese Breed Magazine Issue #17 is now available

The electronic version of The Havanese Breed Magazine, Issue #17, is now available. Since issue #14, The Havanese Breed magazine has also been available IN PRINT! For those of you that wish to receive a printed magazine in the mail you now have that option. Follow this link: www.havanesebreed.com/printed/ to have your various options explained to you. Continue with your electronic subscription or add a hard copy version to be mailed. Note that the electronic version might be as long as two weeks ahead of the printed version as it will take time to be printed, collated, bound, packaged and mailed. And yes, mailing, the cost of postage, will be higher than the actual print costs for the magazine.

I have two special feature stories this issue; the first is about a 3 day trip I took to Germany and a Group Nine Dog Show I attended in Baden Baden, in early October which had eighteen Havanese entered.

The second was this yearís Tradex 2012 in Abbotsford, B.C. which I was happy to attend along with one of my dogs. We competed in the HFCís Regional and National Specialty as well as the All-Breed Show. We had a great time.

We met some wonderful people at both shows in Canada and in Germany. I managed to take many hundreds of photographs at each event. I included a few photos with the articles and then linked back to the balance of them in two galleries Darlah set up for this purpose so that, for those of you so inclined, you can join me as I try to show you these shows through the lens of my camera. If you want to see Havanese Iíve got photos! Note: Although the magazine is now out, Darlah continues to add photos to the gallery with more photos from Tradex.

I also have an interesting article on Junior Handlers from a grandmotherís perspective also from the National Specialty with some great shots captured by Karen Moe, an excellent professional photographer that works out in BC. She too has hundreds of photos of the show in Abbotsford.

I have another great article from Gillian Ridgeway which focuses on positive training asking Why a Positive is a Negative.

Bill Burns wrote an open letter to the AKC. If you are involved in the conformation show ring you are going to want to give this letter a read. One sentence says ďAKC dog show judging is now largely a grooming contest between artificially enhanced exhibits.Ē Bill has a few things to say and he expresses himself well.

Steven Ng contributes his usual instructive article on using your camera to take the best pictures possible of your dogs, this issue helping us understand how to get the sharpest focus.

We have a piece on the conformation show ring from Tracy Smith who writes them exactly as she sees them. It is always a pleasure to read her articles.

Our news from the U.K came to us from Sue Edwards this time, with Wendy looking over our shoulder.

Lyndall Fry contributes a bit of light humour from the perspective her dog, Saki and the picking and chewing of bones.

Then we have an in-depth article on the problems with the Leptospirosis Vaccine by Dr. Patricia Monahan wrote for those of you that still allow anyone to give the Lepto vaccine to your Havanese. I can tell you that we do not. It is in two parts and will conclude in the January/February issue. Sue Edwards wrote and shared with me a very hard year she had with her Calleigh after her annual vaccine and that story immediately follows Dr. Monahanís. It introduces a more personal note to the same subject.

Suzanne MacKay wrote an excellent article on Texture training. I believe it is very important to have every good article I can get on training our dogs.

A Special Kind of Sunshine is another story from a member of our greater Havanese community, Sandra Maes, describing a close call she had one night, a lesson to us all.

How to Tell if a Dog Breeder is a Good Breeder or a Backyard Breeder is one of those stories you are supposed to read before you actually get a puppy to share your lives. Kathleen Coffman does a good job educating us and says at the end ďGood luck, be patient, and remember; you deserve a quality puppy!Ē

Anne Duncan shares with us the first year in the life of her Cooper, a wonderful Havanese that has moved with them from city life out into the country to a brand new log cabin. He looks out the window and sees deer on his front lawn now. Thatís different.

Elizabeth Obrecht had a 10 year celebration with her Rockhurst puppy families and calls her article Havanese Hootenany.

Tom Wettlaufer is continuing to write some interesting and in depth articles. This one is titled Beauty or Conformation. Between his article and Billís you have to take a step back and start thinking about what you see around you.

Complementing the front cover photo is an article by Bellaís owner, Angela Maharajh, what she calls A Day in the Life of an Agility Dog. And her Bella is some agility dog. This is a sport any of us can enter. Itís good for us and the dog.

As always our Readers have shared many random candid photographs and weíve contributed a few of our own. Iím told many Havanese people still did not know that our magazine exists. For those of you that do, and enjoy what you read, please help spread the word.

If you want me to cover a subject that you have not previously seen in this magazine please do not hesitate to say so. Email me directly by clicking on this link: email the editor. I will respond to anything you care to share with me.

We welcome your comments including constructive criticism. Please do not hesitate to post at the magazine http://www.havanesebreed.com/havanese-talk-more/ or http://www.havanesebreed.com/send-the-editor-mail/ or in the forum of your choice. If you are discussing the magazine in a Yahoo list or a 3rd party forum please let us know and we will be happy to join you there. If there is a subject youíd like us to cover please do not hesitate to let us know.

Above all, enjoy the read.
If you are not already a subscriber, click on this link to subscribe now and become a subscriber for our electronic edition. Click on this link: http://www.havanesebreed.com/printed/ to subscribe to our printed version. Or just go to our website http://www.havanesebreed.com/ and click on the appropriate link on the top menu bar. Join with us on our journey. Remember, I can't do it without your support. This magazine is for you, the greater Havanese community. Subscribe, advertise, join us.
Nathan Potechin
Editor and Publisher
The Havanese Breed Magazine
http://www.havanesebreed.com/
nathanp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazine nathan havanese